Audio-Gd Master 7 - Discrete Fully Balanced DAC (PCM1704)
Jul 26, 2013 at 6:51 PM Post #541 of 4,463
I wouldn't have ever described the bass in such negative terms on the Ref 7.1, but the Master 7 was definitely better in many respects.

Jul 26, 2013 at 6:56 PM Post #542 of 4,463
@ macrog

I respect your opinion and impressions, but I am surprised that you think the Ref 7.1 is warmer than neutral since Kingwa always has described it as "neutral and faithful". Personally I find it quite neutral also, but how we define neutral may differ (and also if our headphones and speakers are different in tonality). I have never heard a real world voice or instrument sounding cool or analytical. Because of this observation "neutral" is "slightly warm" in my book (and others).

From your description of the differences I am actually not sure I want to "upgrade" to Master 7. It might be a "downgrade" in terms of important aspects like tonality and bass weight/amount. The extra details gained by changing the digital section of the Ref 7.1 to the Master 7 components may be less important to me.

Jul 26, 2013 at 9:31 PM Post #543 of 4,463
Quote:
On initial running the Master 7 sounds cold and sterile. I was really worried initially I was going to hate it.

Hi Macrog,

I assume that now you love the M7. Did burn-in take it from cold and sterile to something more natural sounding?

As an aside, I have a friend who liked his Audio GDs in reverse order: M7<Ref7.1<Ref7. I think he was judging in terms of tone rather than detail and soundstage. Preferred the tone of the older unit.

Jul 26, 2013 at 10:32 PM Post #544 of 4,463
I havent owned many dacs in my life, just a few...
1. Cambridge audio Dacmagic
2. Eastern Electric minimax
3. Ayon Cd2S cdp/ dac
4. Burson Ha-160D
5. April Eximus DP1
6. Audio gd master 7
7. Ayon cd5 cdp/dac
8. Audio gd sa-2

Of all these i find the M7 to be the best in all aspects. Ofcourse the conversation above is in comparison to the reference 7.1 but i guess, audio preferences are very subjective. I also find the master 7 to be very accurate tonally, best tonality in my opinion. And it is also the most transparent and detailed dac ive heard.

Jul 27, 2013 at 12:15 AM Post #549 of 4,463
Quote:

Hi Macrog,

I assume that now you love the M7. Did burn-in take it from cold and sterile to something more natural sounding?

As an aside, I have a friend who liked his Audio GDs in reverse order: M7<Ref7.1<Ref7. I think he was judging in terms of tone rather than detail and soundstage. Preferred the tone of the older unit

Yes I do very much like the Master 7. No its not cold and sterile now. I have 2 Master 7's and I am intending on using one of them with my BHSE when it arrives.

I have no desire to buy another DAC at present. The only other DAC that slightly interests me at present is the Calyx Femto.

I honestly cant imagine how Kingwa is going to improve on the Master 7? separate chassis per channel and external PSU and digital input box like the Wadia 9.

Regards

Macrog

Jul 27, 2013 at 1:04 AM Post #550 of 4,463
Quote:
Yes I do very much like the Master 7. No its not cold and sterile now. I have 2 Master 7's and I am intending on using one of them with my BHSE when it arrives.

I have no desire to buy another DAC at present. The only other DAC that slightly interests me at present is the Calyx Femto.

I honestly cant imagine how Kingwa is going to improve on the Master 7? separate chassis per channel and external PSU and digital input box like the Wadia 9.

Regards 

Macrog

This would be nice.

Jul 27, 2013 at 3:40 AM Post #552 of 4,463
Quote:

Regards

Macrog

Oooh please keep us informed.

Jul 27, 2013 at 3:51 AM Post #553 of 4,463
Just a wish no inside information :)

Regards

Macrog

Jul 27, 2013 at 4:06 AM Post #554 of 4,463
argh! I'd have loved a comparison between M7 and SA-2 :frowning2:
I suppose you like the M7 more than the DP-1?

Ha!
That's funny..I saw that post and was all excited to ask where the SA-2 stood amongst the list...then saw the correction and *sigh*

Looks like we're still both on the trail of the SA-2. I'm going to spend some time with my new amp and the SA-1. If I'm still in love with the SA-1 at that time, I'll pull the trigger on the SA-2 upgrade.

Jul 27, 2013 at 6:02 AM Post #555 of 4,463
I agree R7.1 tonality is a tint warm. For me the bass quantity and quality of R7.1 is ideal, I may not like any less bass.
I wish I can audience M7 first before deciding to change (as 7.1 is close to ideal for me now).
I've heard Invicta. Anyone have heard Invicta can give comparison with M7, so I can relate better. Actually imagine the sound signature of M7 is more like Invicta now?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back