Audio GD C2C
Mar 27, 2009 at 4:31 AM Post #76 of 657
Quote:

Originally Posted by insyte /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From the reviews, the amp in the compass is already very good. So it was also my dilemma on which one to get first (im contemplating on getting a compass for a dorm setup if my budget permits me). At the time I ordered a C-2C only Curra had both and I asked his opinion (since I trust his ears) if the C-2C was a step up from the Compass amp. Long story short I went for the C-2C and got a separate preowned DAC locally
smily_headphones1.gif

I had a chat with Kingwa and yeah, he advised not to get the C2C since he said the Compass' amp is already 80% as good as the C2C so it's not going to be a big improvement. Let's see what he says next but I'm afraid that I have to increase my budget to get another big leap in sound.

I also asked whether he's interested to design a tube-based hybrid design but he said that he didn't like tubes and he already could make SS amps that sound like tubes.
wink.gif

Mar 27, 2009 at 5:53 AM Post #78 of 657
... and don't forget, we crazy audiophiles sometimes pay for "the best" so that we don't have that itchy, eeehhhh, wonder wonder wonder, feeling in the back of our head if we should have just bit the bullet and ponied up for the top.
icon10.gif

Compromise-induced buyer's remorse sucks.

Mar 27, 2009 at 6:04 AM Post #79 of 657
I've lent out all my dynamic headphones (except cheap ones) so I can't do anything with my new C2-C just yet. I was expecting HD-800s to have arrived by now to use with it.

Mar 27, 2009 at 6:09 AM Post #80 of 657
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've lent out all my dynamic headphones (except cheap ones) so I can't do anything with my new C2-C just yet. I was expecting HD-800s to have arrived by now to use with it.

No interest in the 701/702s? They sing with this amp.

Mar 27, 2009 at 6:11 AM Post #81 of 657
Curra,
For a second there I had a crazy impulse to send you a good pair of headphones! Man, I sure hope some of you guys get the hd-800s so the rest of us can benefit from your experiences.

Mar 27, 2009 at 1:24 PM Post #83 of 657
The HD-800 wont ship until late April I'm told. I'm #8 on the list with HeadRoom, so I'll be one of the first to get a pair. I imagine that the C2C would be a good match with K701s. Now I have the Reference 1, I almost wish I had a pair again, but I've got Stax to satisfy me at the moment.

Edit: I emailed Kingwa and he said he's changed the circuit, but so far doesn't sound a lot different to my original one.

Mar 27, 2009 at 2:18 PM Post #84 of 657
Yes the C-2C with K701 is fantastic, but I can imagine your stax rig would be more than adequate especially with the reference 1
atsmile.gif

I thought you had your C-2C tuned to be more neutral?

Quote:

Originally Posted by deadie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... and don't forget, we crazy audiophiles sometimes pay for "the best" so that we don't have that itchy, eeehhhh, wonder wonder wonder, feeling in the back of our head if we should have just bit the bullet and ponied up for the top.
icon10.gif

Compromise-induced buyer's remorse sucks.

I try to shoot for the top as much as possible (if my wallet can afford it), I think in the long run this will save me money by having less upgrades every so often
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 27, 2009 at 2:28 PM Post #85 of 657
After 24 hours break in, the C-2C sounds even a little better than at first, and it sounded quote good right out of the box. I'm impressed so far at the combination of smoothness and nuance/detail.

Mar 27, 2009 at 2:35 PM Post #86 of 657
I edited my post by the way, Kingwa replied to my email saying that he changed the circuit a little. I'll wait until I get my headphones back before I experiment any more.

Skylab: Kingwa sends out gear with at least 100 hours testing/burn-in done first. Wait until you hit 350 hours, then it really gets interesting.

Mar 27, 2009 at 2:41 PM Post #87 of 657
Quote:

Kingwa sends out gear with at least 100 hours testing/burn-in done first. Wait until you hit 350 hours, then it really gets interesting

So it's going to get even better? Nice.

By the way, I got noticed improvements by upgrading my power cord to a Black Sand. It increased the detail and opened up the soundstage.

Mar 27, 2009 at 3:51 PM Post #88 of 657
Quote:

Originally Posted by santacore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So it's going to get even better? Nice.

By the way, I got noticed improvements by upgrading my power cord to a Black Sand. It increased the detail and opened up the soundstage.

Are you using the Black Max MKII or something higher up? Not cheap, these cables are.

Mar 27, 2009 at 4:44 PM Post #89 of 657
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After 24 hours break in, the C-2C sounds even a little better than at first, and it sounded quote good right out of the box. I'm impressed so far at the combination of smoothness and nuance/detail.

Hello Skylab, I will wait for your rate in your chart with the other amps for comparison
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back