Audio GD C2C
Mar 27, 2009 at 7:37 PM Post #91 of 657
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I edited my post by the way, Kingwa replied to my email saying that he changed the circuit a little. I'll wait until I get my headphones back before I experiment any more.

Skylab: Kingwa sends out gear with at least 100 hours testing/burn-in done first. Wait until you hit 350 hours, then it really gets interesting.

Quote:

Originally Posted by isao2k8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just ordered C-2C yesterday... looking forward to compare it to Shanling PH100.

Thanks Currawong. I look forward to reading your comparison Isao. I guess I will wait to see what you think before I try it. Pacific Valve has a 30 day retrun policy so after the restocking fee+shipping it would cost me about $50 to do it.

Mar 27, 2009 at 11:37 PM Post #93 of 657
Early impressions of C2C to 701. Very good synergy, the 701 comes across as much more musical with much better bass response. The analytical side seems more controlled and there is more emotion. The wonderfull wide soundstage is still present but instruments seem to have more body. I just feel the ambiance of the recording venue better, I dont know if it is due to more detail or better control over the driver.

With good recordings it sounds simply sublime, even lesser ones are more acceptable.

But what's with the volume? When I just got it I had the dial at 12 o'clock, within hours I had to go down to 9 'o clock. Now after 250 hours I hardly ever need to go above 9. In fact 7 or 8 is where I mostly listen at. I am used to have to turn up the volume with the 701 compared to other phones. I have a Senn 595 and switching from the 701 I have to turn the dial waaay down, startling. By the way, the Senn 595 sounds pretty darn good from the C2C.

If you thought AKG 701 cannot do bass, I have a big surprise for you. Get the album Blackbird by a group called Siri's svale band, use a decent source ( Audio gd Ref 1 oooh ) plug your 701 in to a C2C, sit back and prepare to be impressed, then enjoy.

Listen to the track Love for sale, bass, stage, sax, rhythm, treble,symbals, voice. If this is not unbelievable I dont know what is.

Please try this and comment.
Great shade.

Mar 28, 2009 at 12:10 AM Post #94 of 657
That's interesting to hear about power cables. I'm starting to be convinced of their merits. I picked up a second-hand PS Audio Statement for a good price to see how it goes, though it's connected to my Ref 1 presently.

t/sound: I had a suspicion the C2C was a good amp for the K701s and I'm glad to hear it's a good match.

Mar 28, 2009 at 6:26 AM Post #95 of 657
Quote:

That's interesting to hear about power cables. I'm starting to be convinced of their merits. I picked up a second-hand PS Audio Statement for a good price to see how it goes, though it's connected to my Ref 1 presently.

Looking anxiously forward to a comparison between the PS Audio Statement and the Audio-gd power cord. Please tell me it makes no difference, for my wallet's sake.
biggrin.gif

Mar 28, 2009 at 6:33 AM Post #96 of 657
I just got my C2C today. Even though it's not as big as a Ref 1, it's still quite large for a headphone amplifier. My DacMagic and Headamp V2 are both quite a bit smaller. While I haven't done a straight comparison test yet, I feel the C2C is at least a little bit superior to my Headamp V2. XLR from my DacMagic to C2C is nice too.

Mar 28, 2009 at 6:59 AM Post #97 of 657
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drosera /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looking anxiously forward to a comparison between the PS Audio Statement and the Audio-gd power cord. Please tell me it makes no difference, for my wallet's sake.
biggrin.gif

I'm of the same mind. The "power cord pond" is one I want to gently toe into, rather than inhale the kool-aid with full force.

GoGo mixed metaphors! Anyway.

I'm a believe of quality interconnects, without spending stupid amounts of money.

I'm a believer in "cleaner" power supplies, and have invested in a Richard Gray to protect / clean my main A/V gear.

But audio power cables...
confused_face_2.gif
These suckers can range from under $100 to mid-four figures. I mean, c'mon!

So for what it's worth, I'm going to try this guy's stuff. Seems pretty well respected in the 'gon community, and it's a minor outlay of cash. My only concern is whether it's *too* minor and that I shouldn't cheap out if I've invested thousands in headphone amps / balanced headphones, etc.

Anybody have experience with SignalCable?

Mar 28, 2009 at 7:16 AM Post #98 of 657
Mar 28, 2009 at 7:59 AM Post #99 of 657
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After 24 hours break in, the C-2C sounds even a little better than at first, and it sounded quote good right out of the box. I'm impressed so far at the combination of smoothness and nuance/detail.

Wow can't wait till you finish the burn-in
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by t/sound /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Early impressions of C2C to 701. Very good synergy, the 701 comes across as much more musical with much better bass response. The analytical side seems more controlled and there is more emotion. The wonderfull wide soundstage is still present but instruments seem to have more body.

Im glad you also find the C-2C good for the K701. This is one of the reasons why Im happy with the C-2C. I finally found an amp for the K701
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

biggrin.gif

Darn I hope the Audio GD PC is good enough
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 28, 2009 at 9:03 AM Post #100 of 657
Quote:

biggrin.gif

I bought mine for $225 from Patrick82, the power-cable crazy guy himself. I've decided that, unless I win the lottery, $200 is a sane maximum point for interconnects and power cables for the gear I'm using. For second-hand prices, it's much better, as audio gear often has a 100% mark-up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by deadie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So for what it's worth, I'm going to try this guy's stuff. Seems pretty well respected in the 'gon community, and it's a minor outlay of cash. My only concern is whether it's *too* minor and that I shouldn't cheap out if I've invested thousands in headphone amps / balanced headphones, etc.

Anybody have experience with SignalCable?

Someone, I can't remember who, recommended SignalCable to me. Can't argue with the prices, that's for sure. I also had in mind to get a second-hand Virtual Dynamics David for $200 or thereabouts. I realise this is crazy stuff for discussing when this thread is about a $3-400 amp.

Mar 28, 2009 at 12:24 PM Post #101 of 657
Quote:

Originally Posted by deadie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But audio power cables...
confused_face_2.gif
These suckers can range from under $100 to mid-four figures. I mean, c'mon!

You obviously haven't heard about Patrick82's latest purchase, have you? Just a mid-four figure...pah!

Quote:

I bought mine for $225 from Patrick82, the power-cable crazy guy himself. I've decided that, unless I win the lottery, $200 is a sane maximum point for interconnects and power cables for the gear I'm using. For second-hand prices, it's much better, as audio gear often has a 100% mark-up.

Actually, power cables should be about the easiest cable to DIY, so that would be my choice if I would want to go further down that slippery path. Well, I'm not there yet. I still have to try out the Audio-gd power cord first. I have two coming and will do extensive comparisons. It will be fun if I can prove my father wrong in this matter. (He's an EE and so obviously does not believe in all this power cord-nonsense.)

Quote:

I realise this is crazy stuff for discussing when this thread is about a $3-400 amp.

Most people would agree, some people from Sweden wouldn't.
biggrin.gif

Mar 28, 2009 at 12:24 PM Post #102 of 657
I am not a big believer in power cables. I use the Iron Lung Jellyfish, a very nicely made 2-M power cable that costs $29. This is as far as I go. I have some more expensive ones, but I never bought them - they "came" with used equipment I bought.

C-2C update: 50 hours into burn in, and not much additional change so far after the first 24 hours - SMOOTH sailing on this very nice sounding amplifier. The amp will burn in in my office for the weekend, and I won't be listening to it - I hope to start the "real" auditioning for the review mid-next week.

Mar 28, 2009 at 12:55 PM Post #103 of 657
Quote:

Originally Posted by theBigD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does the C2C use the Earth, Moon, Sun modules? I am currently listening to the Compass and am more impressed with the amp than the DAC so far so thinking the C2C might be even better amp wise. What do you think?

C2C amp does not use any OpAmps, discrete or IC. Also, the Compass amp does not use OpAmps either, discrete or IC. The OpAmp in the Compass is in the DAC.

Good postings! I think the C2C may be in my future when I feel the need to upgrade again in the future.

Mar 28, 2009 at 1:23 PM Post #104 of 657
Just in case someone does have a close look at the C2-C pictures and wonders, it does have a single opamp in the DC (power) circuit to keep the voltage at zero, not in the signal path. I have no idea though about how audio circuits work, just know that half the job is keeping a steady supply of power to the amplification circuits despite the rapidly changing voltages required by the music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back