Audeze LCD-3 Impressions and Reviews
Oct 14, 2011 at 2:49 AM Post #166 of 235
I'm not angry at Audeze, but $2000 is way too much for a headphone in my opinion.
Gonna build a Beta22, make a modded T50RP and step out of this sinking ship that is the headphone market.

¡Viva la DIY!

Oct 14, 2011 at 2:56 AM Post #167 of 235

Quote:
I'm not angry at Audeze, but $2000 is way too much for a headphone in my opinion.
Gonna build a Beta22, make a modded T50RP and step out of this sinking ship that is the headphone market.
¡Viva la DIY!

Oh man, you just made a huge mistake in saying that haha.  Even I can't save you from what is about to happen...well maybe I can.  I'll take the spotlight off you and say the LCD3 will be a clone of the LCD2, it will require insane levels of amplification and still come with a terrible cable that is almost unusable, will still have the worst positional accuracy of all the hi fi sets and still not sound great on all genres.  At $2000 it better be the most well rounded and efficient set of headphones ever...doubtful it will be. If it is, thats great, but I aint paying 2k for headphones that make me look silly wearing them

..now run tilpo...RUN FOR YOUR LIFE!

Oct 14, 2011 at 2:56 AM Post #168 of 235
Geez, why is everyone assuming that the LCD-2 is discontinued? They've done so well at that price, there seems to definitely more demand for a 9-hundred-something headphone than $1500+ like the Sennheisers, so I don't think Audez'e will compromise their recent success and bread and butter. 

However, they had probably been working on this for a while -- and rather than alienate LCD-2 buyers, they produced a much higher-end phone that will appeal to a smaller "price is no object" segment of the market. If it works, good for them. 

For all those who are bitching, let's not forget how difficult it is for a (relatively) small company like Audez'e remain in business and be successful. The fact that they are selling, growing and innovating is GREAT news ... and now they have two different products at two very difference prices. More opportunities for everyone at different levels to own one of their products :)

All price bitching aside, the one complaint I DO agree with is the "look" ... ugh! No improvement at all, and they certainly don't look any more high-end than the Rev2's ... in fact, I like the lighter color of the wood even less. Why not another material ... a metallic look would have been amazing. 

If I get them, I will strongly consider painting the wood black ....or maybe they will offer a non zebra-wood version? (wishful thinking)

After 11 pages still looking forward to some impressions, hopefully tomorrow =)

Oct 14, 2011 at 3:07 AM Post #169 of 235

Quote:
Yeah, the chiropractor-requiring LCD2s are by no means light.  If they gave it a magnesium frame and figured out some other ways for weight loss, then maybe it would warrant a much higher price.  But I feel fairly cheated having just bought rev 2's.  

I love my HE6's and the headphone cable you made for me, but now its time to get a pair of LCD3's and a 12' cable from you for my upcoming LCD3's.

If it turns out that the LCD3 doesn't best my HE6's then I will feel cheated also, but if the LCD3's do best my HE6's then all I can say is quickly get you rev2 up for sale because the LCD3 are something really spectacular.

Oct 14, 2011 at 3:13 AM Post #170 of 235
Hands down the best overall post I've seen in a long time. Recognizing it's the idea that's messed up

Quote:
I don't know why people respond to Hennyo's points about the pricing with a "they are not making you buy one". That is just bad logic. He does not base his argument because Audez'e has this super power that they are going to use on our brains to make us buy the LCD-3. If they have any right to raise the price, then the consumer has all the more rights to say what the heck he wants to say. If you've studied economics enough, the argument here cannot be justified by appealing to "free market" theory and then say they can raise their price. It just doesn't work like that.

Are the new LCD-3 better than LCD-2? Probably, but not necessarily. Did Grado intend to make a worse headphone when they designed PS1000? But still most people here prefer RS-1i over PS1000. So the same may happen with this. But as I've read through this thread, I've found Hennyo's points more cogent and sustainable. Head-fi is a great community, so great that it can affect the cost of a pair of headphones 

Recognizing it's the idea that's messed up is essential. Personally I don't think anybody should buy this pair of headphones. The community should NOT swallow this. We shoud NOT take this. Regardless of how good Audez'e may spew they sound. This is NOT healthy for us as a community and the boys at Audez'e need to know, no-recognize this. They need to back off. ~ really back up and examine What it is they're arbitrarily charging and trying to make mainstream.

It. Is. Ethically. Wrong. R&D for this probably cost about $3000, nothing more. This product does NOT deserve a 2k pricemark. Maybe 1.2-3k. If it sounds better and to give all the current lcd-2 users the recommended breathing room. BUT this is revolting. wth kind of hideous pricing is this?

1. Why did we let Sennheiser get away with it? I say no more. I say find ways to circumvent buying from companies who charge this kind of money for a headphone. Much work has been done to the T 50rp, other orthos, there are cheap electrostats, electrets, and diy work in the grado world, amp worlds. Why should we sit down and keep letting the headphone manufacturers shove a pineapple up our butts with each new release?

If you say "but we can't do anything, this is Entirely untrue - with a capital E

-petition the manufacturer with a large portion of their customer and advertising base
-multiple callers call and request why on earth they think their product is worth 2k
-if the problem persists, buy lcd-2 rev 1/2 only occassionaly and when used
-Boycott these manufacturers entirely. IT IS VERY Easy for all of us to do. There are the options and more outlined above that leave one not lacking for an lcd-2 or 3 unless buying used. Let people know how toxic this kind of $1000 price-gouging is to the community. (fellow hobbyists and new people to the community)

-We are the fanbase and we can do something about it. If you look at it and think about it, it's almost our duty to. It's laughable how easy it is. We should start a petition (aka a thread!) pledging that those of us on the list ~ we will not buy a certain product.
This is perhaps the most potent form. Make it unfashionable. And save 2K while you're at it!

Oct 14, 2011 at 3:22 AM Post #171 of 235

Quote:
Hands down the best overall post I've seen in a long time. Recognizing it's the idea that's messed up

Recognizing it's the idea that's messed up is essential. Personally I don't think anybody should buy this pair of headphones. The community should NOT swallow this. We shoud NOT take this. Regardless of how good Audez'e may spew they sound. This is NOT healthy for us as a community and the boys at Audez'e need to know, no-recognize this. They need to back off. ~ really back up and examine What it is they're arbitrarily charging and trying to make mainstream.

What exactly is your problem?

Does this mean we can expect to see you outside a Hi-Fi store this weekend, armed to the teeth ready to take down anyone who walks out
with a $16,000 pair of Focal Diablos?

You cannot afford them or will not pay for them. Good for you. Allow other people to make their own choices, it's the high end of the market
and there's plenty of other models for you to choose from.

Oct 14, 2011 at 3:30 AM Post #172 of 235

Quote:

It. Is. Ethically. Wrong. R&D for this probably cost about $3000, nothing more. This product does NOT deserve a 2k pricemark. Maybe 1.2-3k. If it sounds better and to give all the current lcd-2 users the recommended breathing room. BUT this is revolting. wth kind of hideous pricing is this?

1. Why did we let Sennheiser get away with it? I say no more. I say find ways to circumvent buying from companies who charge this kind of money for a headphone. Much work has been done to the T 50rp, other orthos, there are cheap electrostats, electrets, and diy work in the grado world, amp worlds. Why should we sit down and keep letting the headphone manufacturers shove a pineapple up our butts with each new release?

If you say "but we can't do anything, this is Entirely untrue - with a capital E

-petition the manufacturer with a large portion of their customer and advertising base
-multiple callers call and request why on earth they think their product is worth 2k
-if the problem persists, buy lcd-2 rev 1/2 only occassionaly and when used
-Boycott these manufacturers entirely. IT IS VERY Easy for all of us to do. There are the options and more outlined above that leave one not lacking for an lcd-2 or 3 unless buying used. Let people know how toxic this kind of $1000 price-gouging is to the community. (fellow hobbyists and new people to the community)

-We are the fanbase and we can do something about it. If you look at it and think about it, it's almost our duty to. It's laughable how easy it is. We should start a petition (aka a thread!) pledging that those of us on the list ~ we will not buy a certain product.
This is perhaps the most potent form. Make it unfashionable. And save 2K while you're at it!

Its just a hobby.  A fully TOTL hobby RC car probably costs about the same, no?

Oct 14, 2011 at 3:30 AM Post #173 of 235
Quote:
I'm not angry at Audeze, but $2000.00 is way too much for a headphone in my opinion.
¡Viva la DIY!

You've got the right idea! And you realize that allowing such products to exist in such a widespread scale is quickly destroying the hobby. It is a sinking ship, and we need to plug these beastly incongruous holes. And rather quickly. People don't stick around writing about $2000 headphones for long. It takes a fun hobby into the realm of slave-system. The types of people encountered quickly dissapate, and the hobby will become a dinosaur rather than expand.

Oct 14, 2011 at 3:36 AM Post #176 of 235
@googleli

Finally we have a man who loves the hobby and is happy to pay for the higher end of the market

Oct 14, 2011 at 3:41 AM Post #177 of 235
$2,000 for Audeze's new headphone is like a no brainer considering what I have spent on the Esoteric CD player and Stax SR-009 this year... I do have high hopes though. I was tempted at one point to almost get the Rev 2 and now I feel lucky I didn't. Still enjoying every bit of my LCD-2 Rev 1 though (except the neck pain it causes). 

Oct 14, 2011 at 3:42 AM Post #178 of 235

Quote:
I don't care, I will buy the LCD-3 anyways.

That's our boy!!  
o2smile.gif

Oct 14, 2011 at 3:46 AM Post #180 of 235

Quote:
I don't care, I will buy the LCD-3 anyways.

Knowledge is power friend. Ignorance is bliss and destruction..
^^ True story.

Purrin;
I can't wait to see the lcd-3 measure too. Both Tyll and yours! It better measure either -Really bad, or -Really well.

-Really bad (unlikely) means Audez'e is...
-Really good means Audez'e can perhaps best Stax Sr-009 (somehow) and we can leave the cursed rising prices of headphones around 1k-2k.
-Decent: Proves that....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back