Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Jul 3, 2011 at 2:01 AM Post #12,976 of 18,459
When the wood on my LCD's cracked and I sent them in for replacement I thought the replacement pair sounded different.  To this day I still think my first pair was sweeter sounding and in some ways a bit more engaging musically.  It will be interesting to see if the rev.2 has stepped up the LCD's sound or if it has stepped out of the LCD sound.  

Jul 3, 2011 at 2:06 AM Post #12,977 of 18,459
When the wood on my LCD's cracked and I sent them in for replacement I thought the replacement pair sounded different.  To this day I still think my first pair was sweeter sounding and in some ways a bit more engaging musically.  It will be interesting to see if the rev.2 has stepped up the LCD's sound or if it has stepped out of the LCD sound.  

I think you got your replacements a few days before me Warrior? I was just checking the web and the previous blog post the made in the middle of May. I wonder if it was when they started that new regime that they started to implement the drivers though I know they say mid June. Will find out soon enough when i get the email. Funny though as I have just looked at what I wrote on the 23rd and it almost echoes word perfect what they have written on their website!

Jul 3, 2011 at 2:07 AM Post #12,978 of 18,459
Here is another option for the LCD from the website.

"For users who do not like to use Leather, we will provide leather free options (both headband and earpads). These will be available from August."

Jul 3, 2011 at 2:22 AM Post #12,979 of 18,459

Quote:
Measurements are here for the old ones, and here for the new ones.

The new ones sounded brighter. I think more balanced.  I like them a lot.

Quote:

That said, the LCD-2 is simply the most enjoyable headphone I've experienced. My desert island phone for sure now with my new pads.

Tyll, these posts are starting to make more sense now.

Would you say the LCD-2.1s are brighter than the HE-500s?

(assuming you have the new drivers)

Jul 3, 2011 at 2:28 AM Post #12,981 of 18,459
thank you for reposting that. I notice that Tyll's second pairs serial number is very close to mine, his is SN 5312123. My pair are 5312350

Jul 3, 2011 at 3:53 AM Post #12,983 of 18,459

Quote:
Sucks having the old drivers almost hope I lose a driver so I can ge tthe new ones ;(

Well, I hope I never need a replacement pair, because mine are quite bright enough now, thanks; I wouldn't want any brighter. In fact, this raises an interesting question. If people bought these phones, as I did, for the relaxed, HD650-style sound signature, and now they're more K702/DT880, aren't the original customers in a difficult position re replacements, re-buys etc? After all, Sennheiser went over to the bright side but with a different headphone, the HD800, leaving the HD650 as it was (well, apart from that slight, disputed change a few years back). Audeze are kind of leaving those customers who thought the original was perfectly balanced out on a limb, and not perfectly balanced on it either.   

One of the many ironies here is that HifiMan are heading toward the dark (or darker) side with the HE500, while Audeze head over to the bright side. Will they meet in the middle, or have they already passed each other?

Jul 3, 2011 at 3:59 AM Post #12,986 of 18,459
Oh boy. The FS forums are about to become a gold mine. Decisions, decisions.
popcorn.gif

Jul 3, 2011 at 4:35 AM Post #12,987 of 18,459
I ordered mine on the 23rd of June so they are probably the new ones. 5312643sn

Jul 3, 2011 at 4:46 AM Post #12,988 of 18,459

Quote:
I think you got your replacements a few days before me Warrior? I was just checking the web and the previous blog post the made in the middle of May. I wonder if it was when they started that new regime that they started to implement the drivers though I know they say mid June. Will find out soon enough when i get the email. Funny though as I have just looked at what I wrote on the 23rd and it almost echoes word perfect what they have written on their website!

Well ether way my LCD's sound excellent.  I don't find them dark at all in fact I have them now in combo with a V200 and a W4S DAC-2 and the detail and tonal balance is wonderful.   As a headphone rig it is a phenomenal threesome.  I'm sitting on the fence though about going back to speakers which are my real love and selling the LCD's and the V200.  I really enjoy the rig but I really miss music coming through the air into my ears so I'm torn.  When I have the LCD's on my head I never consider selling the rig, but then I hear music thru the air and I pine for speakers.  Sometimes I find myself listening to speakers when I'm asleep and dreaming.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back