Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Jul 3, 2011 at 1:05 AM Post #12,964 of 18,459
Hold on...  If the LCD-2 ever becomes known as a classic, you can say you own the original--the one that started it all--the one that was built and tweaked to match Audeze's vision of how a perfect headphone should sound!

That's gotta be worth something, right?  Right? 
frown.gif

Quote:
Bah humbug, there goes another $1000.

Jul 3, 2011 at 1:12 AM Post #12,965 of 18,459
Hold on...  If the LCD-2 ever becomes known as a classic, you can say you own the original--the one that started it all--the one that was built and tweaked to match Audeze's vision of how a perfect headphone should sound!

That's gotta be worth something, right?  Right? 
frown.gif

They did a driver revision to be less dark? So they aren't making anymore of the "dark" versions I assume? Well then I would say they just made the original quite valuable indeed.

Jul 3, 2011 at 1:25 AM Post #12,967 of 18,459
Introducing a driver revision is no different than introducing a new model IMO. They should have changed the name to avoid confusion. Imagine the FS section in a year's time.

Jul 3, 2011 at 1:33 AM Post #12,968 of 18,459
i have just sent them an email with my serial number as mine came in around the time they mention. I have posted before that the replacement pair I got sounded different and from what they have described that is what I have found with this pair. Will let you know if I have the new drivers, if not whatever they did to the pair I have has given it the sound signature they mention for the revised pair.

I know one thing, whatever I love the sound of these and as I say comparing them to my old pair this new pair definitely displays the traits of the new driver

Jul 3, 2011 at 1:42 AM Post #12,970 of 18,459
this is what I wrote on the 23rd to give you an idea of the differences I am hearing I am including the quoted post from sesshin as I was finding the same as him.

"Quote:
Originally Posted by sesshin

On my replacement pair of LCD-2 I could swear that the highs are more forward. I don't have the previous pair to compare and I'm on a different amp, so that might factor in. But originally when I got them I felt the highs were recessed to the point of being dark, now they are fairly prominent, even sibilant at times. I need to break them in though and would like to finish upgrading my signal path before trying to make a definite conclusion about their signature.

Also, while the new pads are definitely cushy and nice, I've noticed the left one is larger than the right one about 1/8-1/4", in height, width and length. I don't think it makes any audible difference but it is visually noticeable. I'm guessing these are made by hand to account for variation in size?

You know, I have waited almost a couple of weeks to post my thoughts on the new pair, mainly as I wanted things to settle down and for me to familiarize myself again with all that I love about these headphones. Now, almost two weeks in I do notice subtle differences in the sound, I must add for the better though I never thought such a thing possible.

I am finding the wonderful presentation of violin even more convincing with slightly greater feeling and detail. The bass is a tad firmer and more detailed and the mids a little creamier and again detailed. Either version I loved and I know this makes no sense but there it is!

I am using the exact same equipment and same volume levels ( on certain test tracks I always note the level for reference)
To summarize what I am experiencing is more of the good stuff these headphones give. If you go back to my post showing the two graphs you will see a very slight difference, I did not notice anything when I wrote that post but as I say, over the two weeks it has become more obvious.
All that and I love the wood on the new pair. My previous pair had touches of filler and some dings which I did not mind at all but this pair are flawless and the quality and colour of grain makes me want to attatch two Morris either side so I can stare at the grain whilst listening!!"

Jul 3, 2011 at 1:43 AM Post #12,971 of 18,459
Jul 3, 2011 at 1:49 AM Post #12,973 of 18,459
Ah ok, and you're still waiting on confirmation that your SN# has new drivers, right?

Yeah, I just sent the email when I read the thread tonight. It will be odd if they are not the new drivers though as you can see from my comments on the 23rd I was hearing what they are saying in their description pretty much to the letter. We will see. However. even if they are the old drivers I am not changing these as the sound is just about perfect for me. I would be amazed if it is not the new material though.

Jul 3, 2011 at 1:51 AM Post #12,975 of 18,459
So are all the LCD's with the new pads the new drivers? Im confused sorry

No, the new pads came in before this new driver change, not sure when but i think a few months.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back