Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Jul 2, 2011 at 7:52 AM Post #12,916 of 18,459

Quote:
For me the music comes first and I really enjoy headphones that get out of the way of the music, and I really enjoy music more when I get out of the way of the headphones. I find that both the HD 650 and LCD-2 get out of the recording's way, but the LCD-2 just seems to reveal extra details that seem make the experience more intriguing.

Re. what you said about a source and amp, I'm currently using the LCD-2 with a Lavry DA 10, which from what I've read I seem to have a fairly accurate source, and for me music is sounding really enjoyable with that and the LCD-2. What kind of differences do you reckon upgrading the amp (and possibly source) would bring in relation to an iTunes-Lavry-headphone rig?

You've described my main dynamic rig pretty well here (though I've added a quite coloured tube amp recently for something different).  I used to own a DA 10, but didn't feel it was great with those hard-to-get-sounding-real instruments such as pianos and violins. Maybe if I had been using better than just an optical connection I would have felt better about it.

A better amp seems to wake up the LCD-2s. Music just jumps out at you, specially anything more modern.  I can say that my Phoenix, being both powerful and delivering a a wide soundstage gives 'stat-like speed, but with fast and powerful bass and delicious mid-range.

Jul 2, 2011 at 9:30 AM Post #12,917 of 18,459
Quote:
You've described my main dynamic rig pretty well here (though I've added a quite coloured tube amp recently for something different).  I used to own a DA 10, but didn't feel it was great with those hard-to-get-sounding-real instruments such as pianos and violins. Maybe if I had been using better than just an optical connection I would have felt better about it.

A better amp seems to wake up the LCD-2s. Music just jumps out at you, specially anything more modern.  I can say that my Phoenix, being both powerful and delivering a a wide soundstage gives 'stat-like speed, but with fast and powerful bass and delicious mid-range.

Thanks for the info; your Phoenix seems tasty. :)

Jul 2, 2011 at 9:34 AM Post #12,918 of 18,459
Another reason I'm grateful:

I wonder what I'll be doing this weekend... 
wink_face.gif

Jul 2, 2011 at 10:46 AM Post #12,923 of 18,459
Jul 2, 2011 at 11:25 AM Post #12,925 of 18,459
Jul 2, 2011 at 11:40 AM Post #12,926 of 18,459
Quote:
With al those cans I'm surprised you haven't gone with a dedicated amp yet.

It's just the order of things at present.

Interesting point though. When doing a comparison of the HD 600 with Heavy Rock/Metal music (see here if interested), I was quite surprised as the noticeable difference in the 'colour' of each recording and thought that adding an amp to the rig would colour things even further to the extent of removing the truth of the original recording, perhaps unnecessarily so. That seemed a bit like having eyeglasses with a tint instead of clear lenses i.e. a matter of personal preference. 

I may get another amp in future, but for now, I'm enjoying music through the setup I have.

P.S. the HE-500 and LCD-2 are both loaner pairs. 

smile.gif

Jul 2, 2011 at 12:31 PM Post #12,929 of 18,459

Quote:
What happens when he hits the bass drum? hahahaha
biggrin.gif

With the LCD-2, it contributes a warm and focused low-end punch to the music; it's well-punctuated and rather enjoyable. 
o2smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back