Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Nov 10, 2009 at 9:01 PM Post #46 of 18,459
I'll toss in a coin or two as well to make it collectible.

I don't know why, but they seem more appealing than the HE-5. Possibly due to the overly sexy design.. My favourite martian, that's for sure
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 10, 2009 at 9:35 PM Post #47 of 18,459
Quote:

Originally Posted by swt61 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I actually like the somewhat industrial design of the LCD-2 headband. Couple that with the leather pads and the awesome drivers, and the LCD-2 wins out for me. All I need is a good cable with a 4 pin XLR, and that should be easy enough to come by.

The LCD-2 with my EHHA would totally complete the steam punk look
jecklinsmile.gif

Nov 10, 2009 at 9:43 PM Post #49 of 18,459
Quote:

Originally Posted by tintin47 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Man those things are ugly. Having read about the LCD-2 in the HE5 thread I was excited to pick one of them to make a foray into orthos, but I think the decision has been made for me by way of aesthetics, unless the LCD-2 undergoes a major headband redesign before it is actually released. I am all for the importance sound quality, but if the LCD-2 and HE-5 are in the same league, I couldn't buy the LCD-2 as it stands.

This. These look god-ugly on people's head. Why wouldn't they have just gone with a normal rounded leather headband like HE-5. An extremely annoying design flaw.

Nov 10, 2009 at 9:43 PM Post #50 of 18,459
Quote:

Originally Posted by somestranger26 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How much are these supposed to cost once they're released, more than the HE-5?

the word is that they will be pegged at 650$ so yes more than the HE-5.
However the LCD-2 is completely designed and manufactured in the USA, the leather pads are custom made from Canada.
beerchug.gif

Nov 10, 2009 at 10:43 PM Post #52 of 18,459
On the contrary to many of you, I find them absolutely sexy! ... I'm not kidding.

Nov 11, 2009 at 1:29 AM Post #56 of 18,459
Quote:

Originally Posted by Silenced /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This. These look god-ugly on people's head. Why wouldn't they have just gone with a normal rounded leather headband like HE-5. An extremely annoying design flaw.

The design of a headband fails when the headband is uncomfortable. And I'd wager that the LCD-2 headband, while less pretty, is the more comfortable of the two. That Grado style headband is fine with Grados because they weigh almost nothing. Make the headphone heavy (big orthos need big magnets and magnets are heavy) and you soon run into the wearing limitations of a leather strip vs a wide pad.

Nov 11, 2009 at 2:20 AM Post #60 of 18,459
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The design of a headband fails when the headband is uncomfortable. And I'd wager that the LCD-2 headband, while less pretty, is the more comfortable of the two. That Grado style headband is fine with Grados because they weigh almost nothing. Make the headphone heavy (big orthos need big magnets and magnets are heavy) and you soon run into the wearing limitations of a leather strip vs a wide pad.

Aesthetics have some importance... maybe not as much as comfort but I'd rather have both. This is where Stax, k1000, Jecklin Floats all fail. There is something to be said for dignity (even if nobody see's you wearing them, there is self-respect) and not looking like a *victim* of audiophilia ( people who to ANY ends to get a sound which is incrementally better at the sacrifice of practicality and aesthetics). The HE-5 looks good and from the reports sounds great... and also people have not complained about comfort.

Don't mean to disagree w/ someone who is far more knowledgeable than me but that is just my opinion, sorry
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back