Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Aug 27, 2011 at 8:26 PM Post #17,296 of 18,459

It's not that it's a bad word, or that people are thinking that you are using it as derogatory.  It's that folks are suggesting that it is an entirely inaccurate descriptor for the sound of the LCD-2's, neither rev. 1 or rev. 2.  The shoe doesn't fit.  The cream's turned to butter.  This is a dead parrot!  I'd agree, it is not a good descriptor at all and it the fact that you're using it over and over again makes me wonder whether we're listening to the same headphones (and I've had both versions).  Creamy implies to me something thick, rich, and heavy - the LCD-2's are none of these. 

I'd also disagree that the LCD-2's are not transparent.  The actually excel in that way to my ears, the rev. 2 a bit more than the rev.1. 

It's like a car wreck and a soap opera all in one.  And it just keeps on going...you kind of can't take you're eyes off it. 

As far as the Rev 1 is concerned, the mid and mid bass are relatively rich, full, but not heavy, compared with the dynamic flagships. This made the Rev 1 so enjoyable. IMO the Rev 2 lost this touch to a certain extent. And by saying "not transparent" it is just in comparison with the the 009. The gap is quite wide but overall it is still quite transparent I'd say. These things are all in relative terms and merely stating agree or disagree without any reference point gets us nowhere. And again, I am not the only one who used this word to describe the LCD2, and I am not even the one who started using it to describe the mid range.

Aug 27, 2011 at 9:42 PM Post #17,297 of 18,459

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

[size=medium]
I know I have said this before, and hopefully not with an irreverent tone, but the Twag V2 cable and the LCD-2 are excellent together. There is more transparency, separation and "air" to the music. I do use them balanced most of the time but SE works well also and I can use the Twag either way as I made a nice converter using the V2 cable (I cut a bit off). 

I don't understand the fuss about a long thread about the LCD-2. It is an open discussion. It zigs and zags but that is the nature of the different personalities. How boring to have a methodical, tacked to just the facts mam discourse with only a narrowly defined parameters to be set down in stone somewhere.  
[/size]

If anyone new to this thread reads the whole thing up to what is current, then they'll probably continue to do so. Reading the whole thread could be habit-forming. It's probably most beneficial to keep discussions in this thread mainly LCD-2 centred and perhaps refer discussion points that are too OT to other relevant threads.

I've only heard the LCD-2 with the stock cable and I'd be interested in hearing an aftermarket cable with it as I have found aftermarket cables can make a subtle but satisfying difference with a rig. When I tried different toslink cables with my Lavry DAC/amp, there were subtle but noticeable differences in character and quality. The JPS cable I'm currently using sounds the best of all the Toslinks I've tried, and it feels nicer to handle, too.

To me, aftermarket cables are like icing and more like minor tweaks to the sonic flavour a rig produces, like adding an extra 5-10% quality to the sonic flavour of the other components, like using mineral water instead of tap water for adding to fruit juice to create a 'purer' taste. I never really drink tap water, so again, I'm up for hearing a higher quality cable.

Aug 27, 2011 at 10:03 PM Post #17,298 of 18,459
Just a word on people having too much pressure on their jawbone to loosen the screw on both side below the rod half a circle or 1 circle and it will decrease alot of the pressure of the clamp. It was very uncomfortable before I loosen the screw. Now i can wear the LCD2 comfortably for long period without pain from the clamping

Aug 27, 2011 at 10:03 PM Post #17,299 of 18,459

Quote:
Hey RJM - Am I mistaken, or were you using a WA6SEm with your LCD-2's initially?  If so, what were your reasons for changing to the Concerto and did you compare the two?  Sorry if I missed a previous post that outlines this - just point me to it if so.  Just curious.

You are not mistaken; earlier this year, I had a WA6SE (not maxxed, just stock) fed by a DACMagic when I first purchased the LCD-2 rev 1s.  I wanted to move to a two amp setup, which ended up being the Meier StageDAC/Concerto along with a WA2.  The WA6SE (and the DACMagic) have been sold; it was a great amp, but for my listening purposes, I wanted a tube amp with a warmer sound signature and more tube rolling options, along with a solid state amp with a bit more power.  The StageDAC has two pairs of outputs, allowing me to switch between the two amps.  

I use my HD-800s pretty much exclusively with the WA2, and the Concerto powers the LCD-2s (now rev 2) and my D7000s.  Although, I must say, after about 50 hours of rev 2 burn in, I'm seeing the need for the other phones less and less.  It will be pretty difficult to eliminate the HD-800/WA2 combo, though.  Occasionally I enjoy listening to Korngold film soundtracks, such as The Sea Hawk, Captain Blood, etc., and they sound superb with that pairing.

In the interests of providing the LCD-2 rev 2s with more power, I now have a Violectric V200 on the way, which may, with its output of 2.7 watts @ 50ohms, replace the Concerto.  Upgraditis, unfortunately, is not like the 24 hour flu.

Aug 27, 2011 at 10:17 PM Post #17,300 of 18,459

Quote:
Just a word on people having too much pressure on their jawbone to loosen the screw on both side below the rod half a circle or 1 circle and it will decrease alot of the pressure of the clamp. It was very uncomfortable before I loosen the screw. Now i can wear the LCD2 comfortably for long period without pain from the clamping

I found the LCD-2 clamping pressure to decrease after I stretched the headband by pulling the earcups away from each others; I don't like the idea of having a screw loose. 
biggrin.gif

Aug 27, 2011 at 11:13 PM Post #17,301 of 18,459

Quote:
I'm considering these after i haven't been that happy with my T1's tendance to be sibilant on some recording's however i am a bit worried if these will fit my huge head hehe... So with the T1 and HD800 i have to use the headband's at their maximum setting and they barely fit. How would these compare, from what i've seen on video's they seem to have a smaller range when it comes to headband adjustment but i'm not sure...
Any insight would be welcome
beerchug.gif

What a big head!  I dunno, I never came close to maxing the headband on either of those two, but I am close to maxing out the LCD2s headband - certainly a cause for concern I think.

Aug 28, 2011 at 2:01 AM Post #17,302 of 18,459

Quote:

I found the LCD-2 clamping pressure to decrease after I stretched the headband by pulling the earcups away from each others; I don't like the idea of having a screw loose. 
biggrin.gif

Me too, but i tried all other methods and couldn't solve the pressure problem except loosening the screw which totally solved the problem for me. It seems to change the earpiece to a more downward angle. And changes the pressure point from the jawbone area (low side of the earpad) to evenly on the top and bottom of the earpad which is much more comfortable for me. 

Aug 28, 2011 at 2:34 AM Post #17,304 of 18,459

Quote:

I don't understand the fuss about a long thread about the LCD-2. It is an open discussion. It zigs and zags but that is the nature of the different personalities. How boring to have a methodical, tacked to just the facts mam discourse with only a narrowly defined parameters to be set down in stone somewhere.  

Agreed. Why does a thread need to be closed because it veered slightly from the centre line? Leave this poor old thread alone, you big bullies.  

Aug 28, 2011 at 5:10 AM Post #17,306 of 18,459
Wow. thread continued for over 20 pages before I had time to come back and read!

Having said that, sorry for the late reply - I didn't think anyone would take note of my meagre ramblings.

On a tangent here, but is it just me, or do LCD-2's seem to have some sort of greater power over their owners in general?  

<snip>

Subsequently, such a habit only has one resolution: putting them on at the very end of the day, after all the work is complete. And then what comes next? Insomnia. yep. And insomnia is not something that can be tolerated, given my tight schedule (drafting 4000 words per night. every night)... So now i'm more avoidant of my brand new rev.2's, because I fear it may be possessed by fluffy rabbit demons which seep into your mind and make you happy. kind of like any other drug, really. In fact, i'm definite the lcd's characteristic scent has some effect on olfactory receptors that ultimately lead to an increase in serotonin levels. 

Quote:
Heavens, you sound like you're doing your phd write-up too!

I hear you. My problem is more that I put them on, but keep working, then realise I haven't given my full attention either to my work or to listening. To be remedied shortly, when I separate my listening and work spaces.

Hahaha, I wish. I'm just a second year university student with a stack of notes thicker than my Grey's Anatomy textbook. The pile is sitting under my right arm atm as I type. Decent elbow rest. I went through two cartridge refills just to get these printed (glad I don't buy new cartridges - just refill at 1/10 of the price).
The worst part is this is just for 5 weeks worth of lectures (1 more week to go). Exam's on the 8th, and I'm feeling the pressure...

Quote:
When I start read this, I thought it was a joke. But, when completed, the truth gehalt is 99.9%. Now, that's scary as h...

- Do I excercise any more? Nope
- Do I hardly get thing done around in the house? Nope
- Insomnia? Yes. The head just keeps spinning around after hours of listening an those serotonin levels are through the roof.

I'm need to refurbish my home theater in the basement to get out of this vicious circle. 

Yes, I was being serious. Yesterday was a prime example of such, because I made the mistake of putting them on early during the day. Ended up being another full day affair. And to the person mentioned the marriage analogy (can't find the post after skimming through), I couldn't agree more :)

Aug 28, 2011 at 10:40 AM Post #17,307 of 18,459

Quote:
What a big head!  I dunno, I never came close to maxing the headband on either of those two, but I am close to maxing out the LCD2s headband - certainly a cause for concern I think.

Haha well it's still in proportion though... But that's not good news however i was thinking that half circle clamp thing that hold's the cups, is that attached to the metal adjustment pin with a screw? If so i reckon there's a way to extend it with a longer screw and some sort of spacer tube something. 

Or perhaps i should contact Audeze and see if they can sort something out 
rolleyes.gif

Aug 28, 2011 at 10:50 AM Post #17,308 of 18,459

Quote:

I've only heard the LCD-2 with the stock cable and I'd be interested in hearing an aftermarket cable with it as I have found aftermarket cables can make a subtle but satisfying difference with a rig. When I tried different toslink cables with my Lavry DAC/amp, there were subtle but noticeable differences in character and quality. The JPS cable I'm currently using sounds the best of all the Toslinks I've tried, and it feels nicer to handle, too.

To me, aftermarket cables are like icing and more like minor tweaks to the sonic flavour a rig produces, like adding an extra 5-10% quality to the sonic flavour of the other components, like using mineral water instead of tap water for adding to fruit juice to create a 'purer' taste. I never really drink tap water, so again, I'm up for hearing a higher quality cable.

I'm not using my LCD-2s much at the moment, (my HE-6 rule).  So if you want to borrow my  ALO audio RW8-S Silver/Copper balanced, pm me, you're more than welcome.

Aug 28, 2011 at 12:30 PM Post #17,309 of 18,459
Quote:
Are you guys who suffer from clamping pressure using the leather headband?

On the rev2 with foam, it doesn't clamp at all for me. And I never adjusted the screws.

I have the rev 2 with the leather headband; clamping force isn't a problem, but I have a large head also, and usually have the adjustment on the last or 2nd to the last notch (with about 1/4 inch of shaft above the blocks).  To get the phones comfortable on my head, though, it seems like the leather headband won't lie flat on my skull; it is somewhat tilted to the back, and so the edge of the headband kind of digs in.  This causes some discomfort after about a hour of listening, but I usually don't do sessions much longer than that anyway.  

It's too bad there isn't any adjustment to change that front to back angle slightly.  I guess it would require some kind of swiveling adjustment, like the Sennheiser HD-25 has.

With the way these are sounding, though (I'm at about 70 hours of burn-in) I'm willing to put up with a small amount of discomfort.

Aug 28, 2011 at 4:32 PM Post #17,310 of 18,459

Quote:
BitPerfect (£2.99) and Audirvana (free) both have hog mode which is essential for top quality playback.

BitPerfect is an invisible app that sits behind iTunes, bar the system icon, you'd never know it was there. Well worth a punt at that price. Loving the sound from it.

Have just bought after the above recommendation and fully agree.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back