Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Oct 5, 2014 at 12:10 PM Post #4,306 of 13,140

So in other words, the lcd-2 isn't really worth the 2x price of the hd650? Diminishing returns... is too damn high!!!

That's for you to decide. 

The LCD-2 and HD650 are two very different sounding headphones for two very different types of listening preferences.

To me, the LCD-2's are a "better" headphone because they have the sound quality characteristics that I prefer, but if someone is looking for a more soft and forgiving sounding headphone, then the HD650's would be the "better" sounding choice. Price really does have much to with this.

Remember, a persons sound quality preferences are very much a subjective matter. So unless you know that the person you are relying on for an opinion has similar preferences as yourself, its always best for you to hear both of them for yourself, but I realize that this is often not easy to do.

Anyway, you should try going to headphone meet-up or a show so you can hear them for yourself.  Both the LCD-2 and HD650 are pretty easy to come by at shows.  Just make sure to bring your own source for music, that way you can compare them properly.

Oct 5, 2014 at 5:24 PM Post #4,307 of 13,140
can you guys recommend some custom cable for lcd 2? i dont want it to be too expensive! hopefully around 100$ mark, but up to 200$ possible or somewhere near that. or is there a brand that is known for cable for lcd 2?

Oct 5, 2014 at 6:20 PM Post #4,311 of 13,140
Are you looking to change the sound signature? Some cables are geared towards that and some are manufactured to be more neutral. 

So if someone's likes to buy a a cable to change sound sig can u give examples of cables and the change they make

Hopefully u will not mention cables above 500 usd

Oct 5, 2014 at 6:22 PM Post #4,312 of 13,140
I have heard nice changes from makers like Norse Audio and Double Helix Cables. Trevor at Norse will tell you what kind of change to expect based on the type of cable. 

Another maker that I have not heard is Toxic cables. Many claim to appreciate a nice signature shift with his cables, although I haven't heard them. 

Oct 5, 2014 at 6:31 PM Post #4,313 of 13,140

can you guys recommend some custom cable for lcd 2? i dont want it to be too expensive! hopefully around 100$ mark, but up to 200$ possible or somewhere near that. or is there a brand that is known for cable for lcd 2?

Check the last three pages and you'll find multiple people asking the same thing.  
EDIT: Cable talk starts at the end of page 283.

Oct 5, 2014 at 7:34 PM Post #4,314 of 13,140

Are you looking to change the sound signature? Some cables are geared towards that and some are manufactured to be more neutral. 

So if someone's likes to buy a a cable to change sound sig can u give examples of cables and the change they make

Hopefully u will not mention cables above 500 usd

DoubleHelixCables Molecule Extreme, search for a review by Mike Mercer.  I let Zach at ZMF Vibro try mine on the ZMF X Vibro, and this is his comment!

"Wow David, this is certainly a VERY magical cable.  Definitely going to email Peter and see if he'd be interested in some kind of purchase referral program (discount with purchase of ZMF's or vice versa) or something.

The clarity and fluidity + transparency is fantastic.  Best I've ever heard from my set-up."

Thanks!
Oh, your headphones are done and shipping tomorrow =)

Zach

Oct 5, 2014 at 8:09 PM Post #4,315 of 13,140
For those with pad changing experience...I've got an itch to try these new Vegan pads that I have even though the current leather pads still have good life in them. Once I take off the original pads, are they done? Any video available for the weak at heart?

Oct 5, 2014 at 8:16 PM Post #4,316 of 13,140
  For those with pad changing experience...I've got an itch to try these new Vegan pads that I have even though the current leather pads still have good life in them. Once I take off the original pads, are they done? Any video available for the weak at heart?

No, you can put them back on. They might not stick as well the second time, but they won't start falling off. I've been adjusting mine lately to try to improve the fit.

Note this is all for the early 2.2 model, I don't know if anything has changed recently.

You just pull gently where the pad meets the headphone, they're attached with a sticky adhesive. Take it slow so you don't tear the backs of the pads. And consider marking the angle they were at somehow so if you want to put them back you can get it right the first time. A piece of tape on the pad and the headphone that you can line up, for example.

Oct 5, 2014 at 8:19 PM Post #4,317 of 13,140

Audeze web site has a tutorial with pictures of pad change.  I got a pair of black vegan pads, and used the rings that came with, didn't like the brown color of the LCD 3 pads, and got black vegan pads.  Long story short, I used a credit card very carefully to remove the factory pads, and some of the leather on the back came off, but they were still reusable.  I tried the vegan pads for about tem days, gave them a chance, then went back to the brownies, more refinement for me, and just a better tone.  Typical velour type changes even though Audeze claims they sound the same.  When I removed the vegan pads, they came off clean though, as the adhesive probably didn't have enough time to really set.

Hope this helps!

Oct 5, 2014 at 8:41 PM Post #4,319 of 13,140
  ^^ Better bass on the leather pads?

Texture is better, bass more 3D, the tone gets washed a little with the vegans, the leather is just overall more smooth!

This is with the LCD3 w/fazor though.  I getting the LCD 2 w/fazor on Tuesday, still have the vegan pads, but need to find some double sided adhesive at some point!

Oct 5, 2014 at 11:04 PM Post #4,320 of 13,140
Hi all,

I have been a happy owner of the Audeze LCD-2 for about a month now.

I picked mine up at an authorized dealer for a steal of a deal. I bought the Rosewood. I believe these would be the latest model with the Fazor. I have no previous experience with any of the older LCD-2 models so I have no basis for a comparison in terms of what the new ones do over the old ones.

I auditioned the HD-600s, HD-700s and the Hifiman HE-300s and HE-400s before making up my mind. As soon as I put on the Sennheiser's those were OUT.. I did not like the bright presentation at all! They sounded artificial to my ears. The Hifiman's were much more like what I was looking for, with a more natural presentation in the midrange and softer treble. Then of course I heard the LCD-2s, and even though the HE-400s were only $350, the extra $600 I spent on the LCD-2s was well worth it in my opinion. No they were not 3x as good, but the more natural presentation and superior bass response and overall better sound made me fork out the extra cash. That, and they were right within my budget so I was happy to spend the extra to get that better sound.

Anyway, I've been an avid speaker listener for 2 and a half years now, enjoying high end vintage audio (and some higher end modern audio) so I have become accustomed to good sound. This was part of my reason for going the extra with the LCD-2s (although, it sure would have been nice to buy the LCD-Xs or LCD-3s). I sold a pair of Kef LS50s and had to replace them, and decided I was going to replace them with headphones as I felt they would serve me better for the purpose I had intended for the LS50s. I also loved the way the LS50s sounded and wanted something similar. To my ears, the LCD-2s are very similar in quite a few ways.

I won't go into any sort of technical ramble or try to use any audio terms to describe what I'm hearing, but the LCD-2s just sound right to me. They get the quintessential bass department downright groovy and extended, the midrange is natural and very open sounding, and the treble, although not highly detailed, is extended enough and does not fatigue my ears at all which is exactly what I wanted. Although I have to admit, I was a bit concerned with the darker nature of these headphones at first, but after they broke in the treble response improved quite dramatically and now I am enjoying them to the fullest. To my amazement these are the best sonic reproducers I have in the house, and that is saying something for me! I own some good audio gear so these LCD-2s are doing some wonders in the sonics department.

All in all I am really, really happy with my decision. I love a product that does what it is advertised to do. The guys at Audeze clearly care about their product and its sound. In other words, they're not just pretty looking headphones. The biggest endorsement I can give them is they are ousting out some speakers that cost the same amount as a car back in the late 70s hooked up to much better electronics than what I am using with the LCD-2s. It's amazing how far technology has come in audio, especially with headphones. Sure, I could have spent less, but when you hear what you can get with these LCD-2s, and you have the cash, I don't see why not. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back