Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Oct 4, 2014 at 3:22 PM Post #4,293 of 13,140
I'm taking the lcd2's for a spin myself. 
biggrin.gif

Oct 4, 2014 at 3:55 PM Post #4,296 of 13,140
Just confirmed with Schiit that my Lyr was so early on in the cycle (being on the the first 2xx sold!), that it didn't have the relay in it, so, hey, at least I now know the culprit.

It does look like they're willing to install one for me though, so that's something. Little too late, but....yay?

Oct 4, 2014 at 4:32 PM Post #4,297 of 13,140
Just confirmed with Schiit that my Lyr was so early on in the cycle (being on the the first 2xx sold!), that it didn't have the relay in it, so, hey, at least I now know the culprit.

It does look like they're willing to install one for me though, so that's something. Little too late, but....yay?

I bought a lyr the other day for my lcd2 as well, schiit is installing a relay in it for me right this moment!
I think they should of had relays to begin with, but at least they're willing to put one in for me and fix it before it becomes a problem!

Oct 4, 2014 at 4:56 PM Post #4,298 of 13,140
I bought a lyr the other day for my lcd2 as well, schiit is installing a relay in it for me right this moment!
I think they should of had relays to begin with, but at least they're willing to put one in for me and fix it before it becomes a problem!

Aye, never knew this was a problem to begin with, at least you're able to catch it before it becomes a larger issue, as in my case in which it'll be about a $500CAD issue! But hey, at least I can send both in at the same time!

Oct 4, 2014 at 8:33 PM Post #4,300 of 13,140
Can you please write a brief summary of the hd650 vs the lcd-2? Any difference in mid and treble? Does the lcd-2 have any sibilance, does it become hot in some recordings?

Would be greatly appreciated!

Hi, I was listening to them both yesterday evening, wasn't a real comparison though: comfort aside the lcd 2 are, in my opinion, superior in every aspect to the hd650, no sibilance at all to me, but maybe a little shy on the bass side compensated by a deeper extension (quality vs quantity) and a wider presentation and faster pace. Sorry I can't be more exhaustive but I'm new in this hobby and English isn't my first language.

Oct 4, 2014 at 9:20 PM Post #4,301 of 13,140
  I'm taking the lcd2's for a spin myself. 
biggrin.gif

Which version did you go for ? Be interested if you are sampling F as you have the exp. of the older versions...

Oct 5, 2014 at 2:46 AM Post #4,302 of 13,140

Yay... Too late. That's why I'm not crazy about Schiit. Being able to guess your driver failure on first guess due to Schiit's Schiit history is not a good thing for anyone. It seems they learned their lesson though for newer products, as recent stuff seems to be really solid. The new 2's of each product are the real deal IMHO.

Oct 5, 2014 at 3:04 AM Post #4,303 of 13,140
  Can you please write a brief summary of the hd650 vs the lcd-2? Any difference in mid and treble? Does the lcd-2 have any sibilance, does it become hot in some recordings?

Would be greatly appreciated!

I recently got to compare (in quick succession) the HD650, LCD-2 (early version) & LCD-2 (w/Fazor), all using the same amp and dac, at an LA mini-meet about a week ago.

Even though I have heard all the different Audezes multiple times before, I had never had the chance to do a direct A/B comparison with the HD650. As a previous HD650 owner, I was really shocked at how much better the LCD-2's sounded (to my ears, anyway).

I had forgotten how super-smooth and somewhat recessed the HD650 sounded, but it is a sound signature that I no longer like very much. But I understand why so many people still love them. They can make just about any recording sound "good".

The LCD-2's had a much more up-front and clear sound quality, which is how I now prefer headphones to sound, but it will be much less forgiving to harsh, dynamically compressed recordings. And let's not forget, they are twice the price of the HD650's.

The difference in sound presentation between the two different LCD-2's was fascinating to hear for myself.  The early version LCD-2 had a very focused and somewhat narrow soundstage, more of a closed-in, conventional headphone soundstage quality.  The Fazor version LCD-2 had a soundstage that was much more open and panoramic sounding, but the expanded soundstage also caused the imaging to become somewhat less precise and more diffuse sounding.  To me, the Fazor version wasn't definitively "better" that the earlier version.  They both had their strengths and weaknesses. But I could happily live with either one.

Hope this helps.

Oct 5, 2014 at 4:19 AM Post #4,304 of 13,140

I recently got to compare (in quick succession) the HD650, LCD-2 (early version) & LCD-2 (w/Fazor), all using the same amp and dac, at an LA mini-meet about a week ago.

Even though I have heard all the different Audezes multiple times before, I had never had the chance to do a direct A/B comparison with the HD650. As a previous HD650 owner, I was really shocked at how much better the LCD-2's sounded (to my ears, anyway).

I had forgotten how super-smooth and somewhat recessed the HD650 sounded, but it is a sound signature that I no longer like very much. But I understand why so many people still love them. They can make just about any recording sound "good".

The LCD-2's had a much more up-front and clear sound quality, which is how I now prefer headphones to sound, but it will be much less forgiving to harsh, dynamically compressed recordings. And let's not forget, they are twice the price of the HD650's.

The difference in sound presentation between the two different LCD-2's was fascinating to hear for myself.  The early version LCD-2 had a very focused and somewhat narrow soundstage, more of a closed-in, conventional headphone soundstage quality.  The Fazor version LCD-2 had a soundstage that was much more open and panoramic sounding, but the expanded soundstage also caused the imaging to become somewhat less precise and more diffuse sounding.  To me, the Fazor version wasn't definitively "better" that the earlier version.  They both had their strengths and weaknesses. But I could happily live with either one.

Hope this helps.

So in other words, the lcd-2 isn't really worth the 2x price of the hd650? Diminishing returns... is too damn high!!!

Oct 5, 2014 at 4:32 AM Post #4,305 of 13,140

Hope this helps.

Just found this AudioUnits plug-in in OSX Mavericks.

It may give the pre-fazors a nudge towards wider soundstage...experiment time !

Edit : Also found these. Will try with my T50RP's soundstage. Trick with these filters is not to overdo it...just a tiny amount.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back