Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Oct 3, 2014 at 10:59 AM Post #4,276 of 13,139
They won't delete posts of banned members, too much discontinuity in threads. Consistency in sound is Audeze's big focus now, it would seem. When I tried all models, bass seemed at equal levels. Upper mids and mid treble changed the most, IMHO.

Oct 3, 2014 at 3:15 PM Post #4,278 of 13,139
Ooof, pretty much I was afraid of hearing, it's going to cost me $400 plus shipping to get my lcd-2's repaired, off of warranty. They're guessing one of the drivers died.

Guess I won't be upgrading my amp/dac setup yet, lol

Oct 3, 2014 at 3:23 PM Post #4,279 of 13,139
Headphones are always more important than the source... I wouldn't worry too much.

Oct 3, 2014 at 7:03 PM Post #4,280 of 13,139
Headphones are always more important than the source... I wouldn't worry too much.

Aaah, I know, god know I love the sound of my pair with my mid range setup, still was hoping to upgrade my Schiit Lyr/Audio GD Dac to a Schiit Mjolnir/Gungir combo. Ah well, guess I've gone this long, what's a bit longer.

Saying that though, how the heck do drivers just die? I don't keep volume very high, and I'm not that rough on them, is it just a fluke chance that they ended up frying or am I possibly doing something wrong?

Oct 3, 2014 at 7:11 PM Post #4,281 of 13,139
Bad luck, unless your amp is somehow broken and letting DC through the left channel on power up or down... I don't really see how that could happen though, lol. Ask Audeze, they'd be able and willing to help from my experience.

Oct 3, 2014 at 7:18 PM Post #4,282 of 13,139

Aaah, I know, god know I love the sound of my pair with my mid range setup, still was hoping to upgrade my Schiit Lyr/Audio GD Dac to a Schiit Mjolnir/Gungir combo. Ah well, guess I've gone this long, what's a bit longer.

Saying that though, how the heck do drivers just die? I don't keep volume very high, and I'm not that rough on them, is it just a fluke chance that they ended up frying or am I possibly doing something wrong?

They had some kind of manufacturing issue with the older drivers, I think. I only remember it being reported on the LCD-3, but they extended warranties for all models. Good thing too, because around 2 years into owning mine a driver died and I got it repaired. Now that it's out of warranty I'm living in fear of it happening again. If it does I might just "downgrade" to an HD600 or Stax SRS-2170 system or something.

Not sure when your headphone was made, I haven't been following the discussion.

Oct 3, 2014 at 7:51 PM Post #4,283 of 13,139

They had some kind of manufacturing issue with the older drivers, I think. I only remember it being reported on the LCD-3, but they extended warranties for all models. Good thing too, because around 2 years into owning mine a driver died and I got it repaired. Now that it's out of warranty I'm living in fear of it happening again. If it does I might just "downgrade" to an HD600 or Stax SRS-2170 system or something.

Not sure when your headphone was made, I haven't been following the discussion.

I had one of the early LCD-2's, or at least it felt that way. Regardless I've had it long enough that it's no longer covered under warranty, extended or not! Money, why!

Oct 4, 2014 at 10:17 AM Post #4,285 of 13,139

8-wire, flat, silver plated cable from China ($135) for my LCD2F. 

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/8-cores-Silver-plated-Flat-braid-Headphone-Upgrade-Cable-for-Audeze-LCD-2-LCD-3-/121387534352?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item1c4342c810

8mm paracord climbing rope from Mountain Equipment Co-op ($9)

Remove the core from the rope, but leave one string in the sleeve as a leader.  Melt the ends of the sleeve to prevent fraying.  Note the 4-pin to 3-pin connections with a multi-meter, then de-solder the 4-pin plug.  Slip on a piece of heat-shrink, pull the flat cable through the sleeve with the leader string, and re-assemble the 4-pin plug.  Stick the heat-shrink at a comfortable point in the Y junction.

The silver cable is a little brighter than stock Audeze.  The sleeving prevents tangling and feels nice. 

My "portable" is a 64Gb iPod touch 4 ($130 on Craigslist) running FLAC Player, and the sweet Centrance M8 ($700).  Very happy with this set-up.

Oct 4, 2014 at 10:20 AM Post #4,286 of 13,139
Does your lyr have a built in relay? That could be the culprit if it doesn't have one and you power the lyr on/off with the lcd2 plugged in.

That would make a lot of sense, I've always kept them plugged in because I never knew that was an issue. Apparently you should be able to hear a audible click when turned on if you have a relay, but all I can hear it the tubes heating up (or whatever it is that the tubes do when getting turned on lol), and it sounds like it's possible that some of the early Lyr's didn't have one.

I'll shoot them an email to make sure, saying that though it would make a lot of sense.

Oct 4, 2014 at 1:56 PM Post #4,287 of 13,139
The Asgard 1 infamously had that problem, is be really surprised if Schiit had another amp like that that they didn't check/ address after fiasco #1 (though I really wouldn't be surprised... Lol). DC + drivers = bad. The early drivers did have problems. Email both companies and be like What.

Oct 4, 2014 at 2:07 PM Post #4,288 of 13,139
The Asgard 1 infamously had that problem, is be really surprised if Schiit had another amp like that that they didn't check/ address after fiasco #1 (though I really wouldn't be surprised... Lol). DC + drivers = bad. The early drivers did have problems. Email both companies and be like What.

I did shoot a email to Schiit, told them my story and we'll see if they do anything to try and remedy this issue, but at the end of the day I'm really not holding my breath. Honestly just expecting to see a "welp, sorry to hear that, next time don't do that though" and be boned regardless.

At least even if nothing comes of this, I know better for next time, just bummed to know my own equipment is literally out to kill each other.

Oct 4, 2014 at 3:16 PM Post #4,289 of 13,139
Is it true that the LCD-2 has the bass of HE-400 and the midrange + treble of the HD650? I tried the HD650, I loved it but I found the bass to be bloated, but I loved how smooth it was. I have kept my HE-400 because of the awesome bass, but the treble makes it hard to listen to longer periods of time.

I'M running away from fatiguing and bright headphones as fast as I can.

Oct 4, 2014 at 3:17 PM Post #4,290 of 13,139
  Is it true that the LCD-2 has the bass of HE-400 and the midrange + treble of the HD650? I tried the HD650, I loved it but I found the bass to be bloated, but I loved how smooth it was. I have kept my HE-400 because of the awesome bass, but the treble makes it hard to listen to longer periods of time.

It's a good general statement, yes.  Not entirely accurate but it's enough to paint a vague picture.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back