Audeze EL-8 Closed Version Impressions Thread
Feb 24, 2016 at 12:31 PM Post #211 of 711
  Personally, I've never heard of somebody enjoying the E12 over the C5. They're both very popular in basshead threads of this forum that I frequent. Some think the E12's bass boost might possibly hit harder, but the main contributors to the community use the C5 with its smoother and more open, detailed sound.

I'd certainly have to concur with this assessment.  The C5 for me at least was the next step past the E12, giving my HD700 a better sense of detail and spaciousness.  Plus the bass sounded amazing.

Feb 26, 2016 at 3:07 PM Post #214 of 711
  So everything showed up today. 

When using the deckard with mid or high gain there is this static noise when music is not playing is that normal?

Not for me.

Feb 26, 2016 at 8:52 PM Post #216 of 711
Maybe, but hard to tell without being there

Feb 29, 2016 at 11:08 PM Post #218 of 711
Planars usually like power, so the C5 is what I'd go for. Getting a portable DAC + amp with enough power, in a slim profile and for a low price just can't be done a lot of the times. The i6 should have a good enough DAC in it anyways, I'd guess.

Mar 1, 2016 at 7:12 AM Post #220 of 711
I'd imagine Mojo would be up to the task, but it's not exactly cheap.

Mojo and EL-8C leave me speechless for hours.

I do not miss my desktop setup when using this away from home. And it has COAX and Toslink inputs. And it does not draw power through the USB from mobile devices - phones, tablets, etc.

+1

Mar 1, 2016 at 2:36 PM Post #223 of 711
  Have you tried the C5 Dac/Amp version?

No - I'm looking at pictures of the C5 now, and I'm a little confused. Looks like it has a DAC input, which is USB. It also has a USB power port for charging - thus far quite similar to the Chord Mojo. However it next has a COAX output? This puzzles me - is it a DAP? Does it convert from USB to COAX?

Think of the Chord Mojo as a complete DAC, with COAX, Toslink, and USB digital inputs, with the ability to set the outputs to line-level to feed an external amplifier or speaker system. Then also think of it as a full desktop amplifier with two 3.5mm phono outputs, used to connect to your headphones, which is capable of driving headphones you truly would not expect it to.

You should probably also look up some of the other products from Chord, including the well-known Hugo. There is some amazing, proprietary DAC technology happening in Chord products. I don't want to dismiss the C5, but I don't think it is like a smaller brother of the Hugo - which is the Mojo.

Mar 1, 2016 at 5:01 PM Post #224 of 711
Hi there!

Has anyone compared the EL-8Cs and the Beyers DT1770-Pro?

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back