Audeze EL-8 Closed Version Impressions Thread
Jun 29, 2022 at 3:46 AM Post #706 of 711
I wouldn’t call Cipher’s bass enhancement drastic, as it doesn’t boost the bass above midrange and treble.

Anyway, it’s easy to adapt this to personal taste through Cipher’s EQ, which was the initial reason I bought AUDEZE EL-8 Titanium.
Then Titanium turned out to sound great and I kept it, opposed to my first intention to sell it, and just keep the Cipher Cable.

Here is a comparison:

Green: AUDEZE EL-8 Titanium with Cipher,
Orange: AUDEZE EL-8 Titanium direct analog connection,
Blue: Sennheiser HD-6XX / HD-650 as universal reference.

Easy to see where AUDEZE‘s tuning was heading for :)

Watch out for the very fine scale of 1 dB per scale-line:
02D85AAC-8B26-41E4-BC15-509B2CE8A186.jpeg
Can you still get replacement cipher cables for the EL8 they have stopped producing them for iSine in favor of the BT cipher

Jun 29, 2022 at 8:59 AM Post #707 of 711
Can you still get replacement cipher cables for the EL8 they have stopped producing them for iSine in favor of the BT cipher
Before spending I suggest to have a look at the Qudelix 5K.
Not quite as comfortable as the Cipher (extra little box) but more versatile - and more power for those wanting (not me).
At least it’s price-point relativates asking prices for Cipher.

AUDEZE doesn‘t list the original Cipher any more, but might be worth to ask them.

The Cipher Cable turns up quite often in private sales.
A search for Audeze El 8 or Audeze Lightning will reveal some from time to time.

Only make sure you get the right one:

• Just the EL-8 has the 3 dB bass boost only.
The “Sine”-one is said to have the same EQ, but specially angled 3.5 mm TRS connectors on the headphone’s side.

• The “i...”-designated ones, like iSine, have very strange pre-EQs.
Others than the EL-8 ones have different connectors too, that don’t fit.

There have been 2 Cipher Cable hardware ”generations”, both have their own iPhone apps, which are still available.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2022 at 9:07 AM Post #708 of 711
Before spending I suggest to have a look at the Qudelix 5K.
Not quite as comfortable as the Cipher (extra little box) but more flexible - and more power for those wanting (not me).
At least it’s price-point relativates asking prices for Cipher.

AUDEZE doesn‘t list the original Cipher any more, but might be worth to ask them.

The Cipher cable turns up quite often in private sales, only make sure you get the right one:

• EL-8 and Sine, open and closed, use the same Cipher Cable, with the 3 dB bass boost only.

• The “i...”-designated ones, like iSine, have very strange pre-EQs.
They have different connectors too, that don’t fit.

There have been 2 hardware ”generations”, both have their own iPhone apps, which are still available.

A search for Audeze El 8, or Audeze Sine, will reveal some, e.g:
https://www.ebay.de/itm/125224252652?hash=item1d27f274ec:g:XVIAAOSw8kRiPuEs

The Sine and EL-8 do use different connectors though, so the cables are not interchangable without modification.

Aug 2, 2022 at 7:28 AM Post #710 of 711
I finally fixed my biggest gripe of this headphones, it was easier then I thought.

If anyone wants to venture and do it them selves I can walk you through it

Attachments

• 20220802_012409.jpg
    20220802_012409.jpg
    819.6 KB · Views: 0
Jan 15, 2024 at 9:02 AM Post #711 of 711
Hi all, there was a lot of misinformation as to what may be a 2015/2016 pair of EL-8s, and this confused me when buying my pairs. So, from Audeze themselves, here are the serial numbers for the 2016 revisions. Anything below these and you have a 2015 pair:

E1107889, E3301251, E2201050 or T3301517

I hope this helps!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back