Audeze EL-8 Closed Version Impressions Thread
Feb 15, 2016 at 6:06 PM Post #181 of 711

I wonder if they are going to improve the El-8 like they did with the LCD-4 and give everyone a free upgrade. They both seem to have the same issues and they both use the new Fluxor magnets (Though the El-8 is only single sided).

I think they better figure out the present models before they improve anything, it appears they still have defective models coming out.

Feb 20, 2016 at 2:46 PM Post #184 of 711
  I was considering buying these buy it looks like everyone is still having a lot of issues? Anyone actually get a good pair?

My pair is perfect. I have the Titanium version, purchased on the day of launch at the beginning of December. They were made mid-November. No issues at all and the sound quality is really good using the Cypher cable.

Feb 20, 2016 at 3:01 PM Post #185 of 711

My pair is perfect. I have the Titanium version, purchased on the day of launch at the beginning of December. They were made mid-November. No issues at all and the sound quality is really good using the Cypher cable.

To the best of my knowledge you cannot purchase the Cypher Cable separate? 

Feb 20, 2016 at 10:23 PM Post #187 of 711
Considering a Bitfrost and Asgard 2 to pair with this Headphone.

What should I pair with my iphone 6 or macbook retina 2015 as the source?

from what I can tell local dealer has the newest version of this headphone which should have fixed all the issues.

Feb 21, 2016 at 1:02 AM Post #188 of 711
The source shouldn't matter, just use the shortest cables you can and whichever has the highest quality files. Technically the iPhone 6 *might*, in some world, be better if the Bifrost is designed horribly, due to the battery power. Maybe, possibly, technically, theoretically. Not something to worry about!

Feb 21, 2016 at 5:15 AM Post #189 of 711

from what I can tell local dealer has the newest version of this headphone which should have fixed all the issues.

2 pages ago on this thread someone had a version that was dated February 10th and he may have a defective pair, so unless your dealer has a newer batch than that I'd keep a wary eye out still

Feb 21, 2016 at 5:28 AM Post #190 of 711

The USB implementation on Schiit DACs draws power for the USB chip (not for the DAC). Thus without a hub, you will see the error "too much power" if sending straight (CCK, USB cable) to the Bifrost from an iPhone. A MacBook (any kind) will have no such issues.

Feb 21, 2016 at 11:12 AM Post #192 of 711
  Is there any easy and quick way to test when the pair shows up?

No. my way is:

1. take it out the box
2. Listen or burn it in for some hours. 
3. Pray to the audio gods

Feb 21, 2016 at 4:27 PM Post #194 of 711
Audeze Deckard I think, never heard the Bifrost but Deckard is way more powerful than the Asgard 2 and slightly better sound quality imo, I had the Asgard and loaned it to a friend but i compared them when I had it. 

Feb 21, 2016 at 5:32 PM Post #195 of 711
  Also curious. 

Bitfrost 4490 + Asgard 2

or 

Audeze Deckard?

for the EL-8 closed.

Considering how efficient the EL-8C is, power is a non-issue. I've used the Asgard 2 and Bifrost 4490 and the pairing is good. But here's what I believe you are truly looking at:

1. Bifrost: a DAC that will stay with you forever, in that it will have updates from Schiit ad infinitum.
  2. Deckard: a likely cleaner, clearer amplifier. Yes, it has more power - but you're not running an HE-6. Also for the high resolution believers, you can play with 352.8kHz and 384kHz sample rates.

I wish there was more written regarding the Deckard amplifier, but from my experiences with the Asgard 2, I'll admit it can be a little hard. That is not to say that it is terrible - quite the contrary, I find it to be very enjoyable! But my guess is the Deckard beats it in certain audible qualities, which go beyond sheer power.

Audeze Deckard I think, never heard the Bifrost but Deckard is way more powerful than the Asgard 2 and slightly better sound quality imo, I had the Asgard and loaned it to a friend but i compared them when I had it. 

Have you heard the Deckard? Per my text above, I am always seeking more insight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back