Audeze closed-back prototypes! Yeah, this is one of the headphones at the top of my wish list.
Oct 13, 2012 at 5:48 PM Post #61 of 820
Quote:
Meh, it's closed-back.. 
triportsad.gif
 More bass but Open-back sound better. The LCD-3 will still sound better.

It's all relative to the noise in the room the person is using the headphones.

Even if there is about 10-20 db noise (EDIT: more than normal) in that room, the closed back headphone will sound a lot better.
Also the closed back is much more flexible, and can be used anywhere, everywhere. I could probably use the lcd-3 about a couple of hours a week. However the closed back version would never leave my head.

Oct 13, 2012 at 6:04 PM Post #63 of 820
Quote:
Interesting, I wonder how it will sound. The LCD-2 was too dark for my personal liking.
And it looks like an LCD-3 with a wood cover screwed over the grill. XD

FYI that's an LCD2, albeit one of the newer ones with bamboo wood, black plastic connectors.

LCD3 = chrome connectors, and brown leather earpads.

Oct 13, 2012 at 6:47 PM Post #66 of 820
I have a feeling that they could make this into a simple kit, where you just unscrew the metal grills of LCD2/3s, and pop the crafted wood cups on. If they are able to make all the damping and acoustics work on the cup then there is no reason why people who already own Audeze headphones need to pay more for the entire headphone assembly with this.

Oct 13, 2012 at 8:33 PM Post #68 of 820
Quote:

A small piece of wood weighs next to nothing.  It's the steel parts of the LCD2/3 and its driver magnets that jack the weight up.  This should weigh very very close to what any other Audez'e headphone weighs. It being more heavy is an optical illusion.

I was just thinking the same thing. There won't be the weight of the metal rear grill covers.

Quote:
Early adopter got me an LCD1 + an LCD-2 for the price of an LCD2+the cost of the headset they used for the LCD-1. Audeze took good care of their early adopters.

Sure, if you enjoy headaches of shipping headphones back, waiting and wondering ad nauseum. I like to wait until everything is settled and the genuine article is available.

Oct 13, 2012 at 9:06 PM Post #69 of 820
I have a feeling that they could make this into a simple kit, where you just unscrew the metal grills of LCD2/3s, and pop the crafted wood cups on. If they are able to make all the damping and acoustics work on the cup then there is no reason why people who already own Audeze headphones need to pay more for the entire headphone assembly with this.

Unless the drivers are completely different as well.
Reminds me back then there was a thread with a person that was interested in making headphones that can operate both in open or closed format. Did the other folks of Head-Fi ridicule him or what! If this prototype is exactly a replacement part for the grills, I do wish those people apologize. Either way they still should.

Anyway, loving the looks of this one!

Oct 13, 2012 at 10:31 PM Post #74 of 820
Quote:
Unless the drivers are completely different as well.
Reminds me back then there was a thread with a person that was interested in making headphones that can operate both in open or closed format. Did the other folks of Head-Fi ridicule him or what! If this prototype is exactly a replacement part for the grills, I do wish those people apologize. Either way they still should.
Anyway, loving the looks of this one!

FA-002, replace grill wid wood cups ---> FA-002w edition.
From open to closed :)

Oct 13, 2012 at 10:54 PM Post #75 of 820
Quote:
FA-002, replace grill wid wood cups ---> FA-002w edition.
From open to closed :)

I thought they were closed to start with?

I however thought about Lee730's Denon open back mod

Users who are viewing this thread

Back