ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
Apr 8, 2017 at 11:37 PM Post #3,181 of 9,748
USB is generally a pretty terrible means of transporting audio data. S/PDIF and TOSLINK are designed specifically for it. USB is capable of being just as good, but it is an extremely costly proposition.

I never felt USB audio equalled SPDIF until I finally got true Galvanic isolation between my PC and DAC.  Yes, my DAC has galvanic isolation inside the DAC, but, it Galvanically isolates the I2S line.  So, the USB receiver itself is not isolated, and furthermore the receiver requires the USB 5v bus to operate!  

But the Intona USB isolator is a god send.  Now the biggest weakness is the 5v USB bus.  I am using a LPS plugged into an isolation transformer, and the results are outstanding.  If you put your headphones on, turned to volume on amp all the way up WITHOUT the above inserted in the chain, all the hash and noise and other nasties is loud and proud.  After all the above, dead silent.  

So to your point, yes, it takes a lot, but it can be done.  Now, I will un-hijack the thread....  

Trying to decide if I want the Atticus or Eikon.  My current reference headphone in the Audeze LCD-X.  Which one of the two, Atticus or Eikon, has the most similar presentation?  Thanks, if someone can answer that, it will help me get a better mental gauge on what these are all about...

Apr 9, 2017 at 2:36 AM Post #3,182 of 9,748
Thanks. Quite a lineup of top headphones there.

"very disruptive" (?) What mod was done to your T5P?

He drove a treble spike through the drivers in a maddened act of revenge.

Just a guess.

Apr 9, 2017 at 6:10 AM Post #3,183 of 9,748
Just joined the club!  

Ordered a Padauk Atticus!

I wanted a more fun headphone that's better for pop/punk rock type stuff (like Green Day, Rise Against, The Offspring etc...) with more bass and mids than my HD800SDRs without the sharpness of the treble.  

I'll be using them with a WA7 Firefly Duo and Cayin iDac-6.  

Was there anything I should have requested with the order?  I didn't say anything in the additional comments section.  Though I did notice a rather ridiculous 25% fee to change the orders?  That's a little steep.  

Anyway, I'm excited.  How long should it be taking at this point?  There are like 75+ ahead of me :frowning2:  Hopefully May?

A few pages ago someone posted pics of a special order of Padauk wood with black filler for the larger pours sometimes found on this type of wood ... you might want to check these pics out to see if you want this .. also may want either hand varnish or factory finish ... I'm thinking I should have gotten this dark filler and factory finish on the padaucks I have now

Apr 9, 2017 at 9:54 AM Post #3,185 of 9,748
Does the Padauk Eikon come standard with the gunmetal trim rather than all black? I prefer that look.

Yes, all Padauk versions of both Atticus and Eikon come with the gunmetal trim. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 9, 2017 at 9:54 AM Post #3,186 of 9,748
Does the Padauk Eikon come standard with the gunmetal trim rather than all black? I prefer that look.

I believe the Eikon comes with that and the Atticus comes in black.

Hopefully at some time, maybe this could become an option of the buyer...but I understand if that can not be done.

My bad....I thought it was Atticus black and Eikon gun metal.

Thats is why you never want to listen to me 
tongue.gif

Apr 9, 2017 at 10:00 AM Post #3,187 of 9,748
For those with the Eikon is the weight something to get used to or is it distributed well? I am used to headphones below 400 grams. That's my only concern with the comfort level. I am familiar with ZMF pads and they are very nice.

Also, is Padauk always pitted like the photos show, or does it vary depending on the cut?

Apr 9, 2017 at 1:56 PM Post #3,189 of 9,748
For those with the Eikon is the weight something to get used to or is it distributed well? I am used to headphones below 400 grams. That's my only concern with the comfort level. I am familiar with ZMF pads and they are very nice.

Also, is Padauk always pitted like the photos show, or does it vary depending on the cut?

The weight is distributed very well, and u don't think the weight is a problem at all.

Padauk has very large pores, and unless you fill them with something (like the aforementioned black filler) the varnish will expose them a bit. Personally I like that as the wood looks natural, not plastic coated, with the pores visible.

To be honest, the black filler made the cup look like a giant strawberry, and it wouldn't be my first choice for filling the grain. Opinions differ though.

Apr 9, 2017 at 11:46 PM Post #3,190 of 9,748
Can someone fast-forward time so I can receive my headphones tomorrow?

Also, I really enjoy heavier headphones. Like I absolutely love the feel of the LCD-XC. Will the Eikon or Atticus provide that quality feel?

Apr 9, 2017 at 11:52 PM Post #3,191 of 9,748
Also, I really enjoy heavier headphones. Like I absolutely love the feel of the LCD-XC. Will the Eikon or Atticus provide that quality feel?

I can't speak for the LCD-XC but my Eikon in Padauk is 8 grams heavier than my LCD-2 in bamboo but feels lighter, the Atticus in Padauk is significantly lighter than the Eikon - or at the very least going from Eikon to Atticus or vice versa the difference in weight is easily noticeable.

Apr 10, 2017 at 1:47 AM Post #3,193 of 9,748
I can't speak for the LCD-XC but my Eikon in Padauk is 8 grams heavier than my LCD-2 in bamboo but feels lighter, the Atticus in Padauk is significantly lighter than the Eikon - or at the very least going from Eikon to Atticus or vice versa the difference in weight is easily noticeable.

Thanks for the info. I'm excited for the headphones. How is the clamping force?

LCD XC is heavier

In sure the XC is heavier but does the Eikon & Atticus feel solid in your hand? When you hold them do they give a quality vibe?

Apr 10, 2017 at 10:41 AM Post #3,195 of 9,748

Thanks for the info. I'm excited for the headphones. How is the clamping force?
LCD XC is heavier

In sure the XC is heavier but does the Eikon & Atticus feel solid in your hand? When you hold them do they give a quality vibe?

The ZMF phones lack the glossy finish on the cups that I like from Audeze, Fostex, Lawton etc but the build is better, more robust and solid than all of those and yes it has that feel in your hands. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back