ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
Apr 10, 2017 at 4:52 PM Post #3,211 of 9,748
  So the T5P mod is there in personal choices because I love bass so much I would (am going to) buy one, mod it and dampen the treble. The unit I had when plugged into the Mogwai was shockingly punchy. When plugged into solid state it was much less so. 

The Sony MDR Z1R I actually like a lot but had to rank it by merit and its price. It came in 4th for preference because despite its shortcomings I still like it I was just surprised that it wasn't as clear and clean as the others. Very surprised actually. 

As someone who bought the Atticus without hearing it wanting more oomph for rock music.  I'm very glad to read this lol.

Apr 10, 2017 at 4:55 PM Post #3,212 of 9,748
Great write up grizzlybeast 
smile.gif

Apr 10, 2017 at 4:56 PM Post #3,213 of 9,748
  The intro shows which ones are borrowed and have a star behind them. At one point there were two Z1Rs in house. Much thanks to @humzebra. Without him it would have been a 4 way shoot out between the ZMFs TH900 and Z1R. I had also had background comparison notes with the Ether Flow C on other amps from having heard them previously in my home for a good time. 

I'm not suggesting this would have much impact on your ratings if at all, but owning the two ZMF headphones it seems fair to suggest that you have a greater familiarity and acclimation to them.

Apr 10, 2017 at 5:24 PM Post #3,214 of 9,748
  So the T5P mod is there in personal choices because I love bass so much I would (am going to) buy one, mod it and dampen the treble. The unit I had when plugged into the Mogwai was shockingly punchy. When plugged into solid state it was much less so. 

The Sony MDR Z1R I actually like a lot but had to rank it by merit and its price. It came in 4th for preference because despite its shortcomings I still like it I was just surprised that it wasn't as clear and clean as the others. Very surprised actually. 

This shoot-out is AMAZING! I can't remember any past review or headphone comparison that's even 10% as detailed & informative as this is. The amount of time & effort this must have taken -- I can only guess, but it's obviously epic.

IMO, this is easily the best headphone review ever from Head-Fi (which has so many good ones).

@grizzlybeast, we are all in your debt...

Apr 10, 2017 at 5:32 PM Post #3,215 of 9,748
As someone who bought the Atticus without hearing it wanting more oomph for rock music.  I'm very glad to read this lol.

Lol, if there were ever a perfect one word review for the Atticus, it would definitely be "Oomph".

You chose wisely, my friend.

Apr 10, 2017 at 5:53 PM Post #3,217 of 9,748

Thanks to a generous/helpful local Head-Fi'er, next week I'll get to hear the Eikon (balanced out of LC). I need that to orient myself in this "endgame headphone" scene (my Ori was a good start, but more reference points are needed).

All along I've been drawn to descriptions of the Atticus' sound. This shoot-out makes me even more interested in the Atticus, if that's possible.

I'm holding out for now in the hope Zach will offer different woods. I believe he will, sooner or later--but he must be swamped w/A&E orders now.

Apr 10, 2017 at 6:42 PM Post #3,218 of 9,748
Thanks to a generous/helpful local Head-Fi'er, next week I'll get to hear the Eikon (balanced out of LC). I need that to orient myself in this "endgame headphone" scene (my Ori was a good start, but more reference points are needed).

All along I've been drawn to descriptions of the Atticus' sound. This shoot-out makes me even more interested in the Atticus, if that's possible.

I'm holding out for now in the hope Zach will offer different woods. I believe he will, sooner or later--but he must be swamped w/A&E orders now.

Nice!! I think you'll like the Eikon a lot.

If Zach does release different woods, my head might explode trying to decide between Bubinga and Ormosia Henryi. Or Cocobolo. Or Zebrawood. :p

Apr 10, 2017 at 6:43 PM Post #3,219 of 9,748
Man, that's a lotta Eikon love. They didn't fare nearly as well for me when I did my comparisons with the Z1R/Flow C/TH900.

Apr 10, 2017 at 6:45 PM Post #3,221 of 9,748
  Man, that's a lotta Eikon love. They didn't fare nearly as well for me when I did my comparisons with the Z1R/Flow C/TH900.

It is all very personal. I also must admit to being surprised that the ZMF models were both ranked higher than the Z1R, but that is the nature of personal preference right?

Apr 10, 2017 at 6:46 PM Post #3,222 of 9,748
It is all very personal. I also must admit to being surprised that the ZMF models were both ranked higher than the Z1R, but that is the nature of personal preference right?

I'd rank the Eikon higher than the Z1R too.

Apr 10, 2017 at 6:47 PM Post #3,223 of 9,748

Yea, for sure. I'm not bashing on the Eikon in any way either. I'd recommend any of those headphones to people depending on what they were looking for.

Apr 10, 2017 at 6:51 PM Post #3,224 of 9,748
I'd rank the Eikon higher than the Z1R too.

You have owned the Z1R? I have no way of knowing how I would feel about the ZMF models, but I know I would love to give them both a try. I have little doubt that they are astoundingly good.

Apr 10, 2017 at 6:54 PM Post #3,225 of 9,748
Is there a link with the varnish vs lacquer pics?

Sorry, but can't find a handy link. Those pictures were posted in this thread by Zach 1-2 months ago. Just looked around but can't spare the time for a deep dive.

I'd say go back to late January and work your way forward (in this thread).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back