ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
Apr 8, 2017 at 1:08 PM Post #3,167 of 9,748
Cheers.  I owned the LF339 and ran it with the top tubes.  A very romantic and lush sounding amp but too slow for my liking.  I then got a V200 which was a clear upgrade.  The only plus to the LF339 was the wider soundstage than the V200.   Right now I own a WA22.  Running it with all the top tubes.  Excellent sounding amp.  But still lacks the speed of a SS amp and a bit too coloured for my liking.  

It should not be the tubes, but yhe bias points and the components selection inside.
All gear I have ever looked at inside have compromises associated with profit margins,
And all can be upgraded.

And about sound, I LOVE LOVE LOVE the sound of the Eikon.  I call it Reference with a Touch of Fun.  It's the most versatile headphone I currently own!

That is quite a perfect description!
:)

I should add that I've already owned a Jot and I wasn't a fan of its lack of stage depth.

I find this is an issue with 90% of Solid State amplification,
Unless it is a tube hybrid in the low signal level driver stages.

Strange question, but can anyone else hear their heartbeat when wearing the Atticus or Eikon? Its the first time I've ever experienced it on a headphone. I hear it during the quiet sections between tracks but not during songs. 

The pads are big and thick and as stated before the tension plays a factor in pressing on the outer ear areas which in your case may have pressed on a vain or artery.
Hopefully not a major artery to make you light headed.
:p

Hey, does anyone know how much burn in does these headphones get at factory,
And how many more is optimal?

Apr 8, 2017 at 1:13 PM Post #3,168 of 9,748
Can anybody provide a technical reason that a solid state amplifier topology would have any effect on the sound stage? I am unclear as to what exactly is the cause of this reported design limitation/flaw.

Apr 8, 2017 at 1:34 PM Post #3,169 of 9,748
Can anybody provide a technical reason that a solid state amplifier topology would have any effect on the sound stage? I am unclear as to what exactly is the cause of this reported design limitation/flaw.

It easy to make note of different characteristics in different materials used in tubes of same number but different manufacturers.

Same applies way more to solid state because you have many more different types of discrete devices,opamps and transistors.

All using different materials or methods inside.
So on the micro-level we have much differences.
They may all be very good, but the actual reason is compicated, as we don't know the parameters and types of distortion, and feedback implementation that is at play...

Only the designer or manufacturer of the item knows,
And the designer must take the manufacturer stock suggest parameters of the SS devices in good faith.

Thats why they say the purist form of amplification is a triode...

Apr 8, 2017 at 1:51 PM Post #3,171 of 9,748

Very nice, looking forward to comparisons

My prediction:
1: Atticus
2<>3: Eikon/MDR-Z1R
4<>5: Ether Flow C/ Beyer
6<>7: LCD-XC / Fostex

Let wait and see :)

Apr 8, 2017 at 2:07 PM Post #3,172 of 9,748

I can't. I can only say that during my long/happy association w/tube amps & preamps, I consistently noticed certain qualities of all-tube designs that either didn't exist in SS, or existed in truncated form:

-- Soundstaging was notably different with tubes. Typically both tubes & SS did soundstage width well, but only tubes gave that greater depth of image placement, both in front of & behind speakers

-- Tonality was also notably different with tubes. Some tube designs had slight upper midrange "glare," it tended to be rather friendly sounding, rather than overtly bright. By contrast, many SS designs had boosted upper midrange and treble, and often this was perceived as overt brightness.

-- Bass (deserves its own section): tubes sometimes had relatively deficient bass, but not always. Some tube designs went deep. But SS designs routinely has greater bass extension as well as obviously better damping (how quickly bass notes start & stop). The other big difference concerned a quality of the tube bass some term "wet," while others call it "rounded." I did hear that, and it generally sounded better than the somewhat dry quality of SS bass. The very best tube amps go low and sound relatively flat (not extremely wet or rounded); while the very best SS designs tend to have more real-sounding, fuller bass.

-- Verismilitude: fancy word that means having the appearance of reality. Not sure how to say this, but despite their at times inferior specifications, many tube designs simply sounded more "real," with notes billowing into audibility, then decaying, as they do IRL. The timbre of each instrument (ie, clarinet, violin, bassoon) was far more evident w/tubes.

I have yet to hear any of this on the desktop, or with headphones. My tactic instead has been to get several "endgame" SS amps/preamps that explore things like soundstaging and space around notes in exemplary SS ways--and let me use balanced/XLR out for headphones, something you very rarely see w/tubes.

Apr 8, 2017 at 2:11 PM Post #3,173 of 9,748

What is the pair next to the Denon 900's on upper row. Can't place that...

A headphone I'm getting more interested in (never heard any Beyer) is the BD Amiron Home. It's billed as the 1st upscale Beyer that doesn't push treble (not relative to other frequencies). Wonder how that would compare w/Atticus.

Apr 8, 2017 at 2:36 PM Post #3,175 of 9,748

What is the pair next to the Denon 900's on upper row. Can't place that...

A headphone I'm getting more interested in (never heard any Beyer) is the BD Amiron Home. It's billed as the 1st upscale Beyer that doesn't push treble (not relative to other frequencies). Wonder how that would compare w/Atticus.

Left to Right
TH900, XC, Atticus, XC, Z1R
bottom
Eikon, Bass modified T5P(peterek did something to them to add bass, initially wasn't going to add them but they were very disruptive)

Apr 8, 2017 at 3:09 PM Post #3,176 of 9,748
How does the ZMF Eikon compare to the Emu Teak headphones?  Sound.......

They are very similar in that they both make sound, but that's about it.

Eikon has more refined bass without sacrificing quantity. Eikon actually has mids. Treble is extended and so clear but not bright and is in balance with the other frequencies.

But yeah... Kind of the same. Not really.

The Teak are a great pair, I own one, but the Eikon is better in basically every way.

Apr 8, 2017 at 4:45 PM Post #3,177 of 9,748

How does the ZMF Eikon compare to the Emu Teak headphones?  Sound.......

They are very similar in that they both make sound, but that's about it.

Eikon has more refined bass without sacrificing quantity. Eikon actually has mids. Treble is extended and so clear but not bright and is in balance with the other frequencies.

But yeah... Kind of the same. Not really.

The Teak are a great pair, I own one, but the Eikon is better in basically every way.

Pads on the Emu Teak can really change the sound.  I have the Lawton Level 1 mods, big difference, better bass, mids were very, very good, treble extended and more detail overall. The Teak is like a TH900 with balanced sound.  I had the Eikon pads, but they muddied up the sound on all of my Fostex biocellulose driver phones.  Also aftermarket cables slightly affect the sound, just as I'm sure they do on the Eikon.  I would really love to demo the Eikon, but they are too expensive, and too heavy for my taste, very curious though.

Apr 8, 2017 at 10:47 PM Post #3,178 of 9,748
Just joined the club!  

Ordered a Padauk Atticus!

I wanted a more fun headphone that's better for pop/punk rock type stuff (like Green Day, Rise Against, The Offspring etc...) with more bass and mids than my HD800SDRs without the sharpness of the treble.  

I'll be using them with a WA7 Firefly Duo and Cayin iDac-6.  

Was there anything I should have requested with the order?  I didn't say anything in the additional comments section.  Though I did notice a rather ridiculous 25% fee to change the orders?  That's a little steep.  

Anyway, I'm excited.  How long should it be taking at this point?  There are like 75+ ahead of me :frowning2:  Hopefully May?

Apr 8, 2017 at 10:52 PM Post #3,180 of 9,748
  Left to Right
TH900, XC, Atticus, XC, Z1R
bottom
Eikon, Bass modified T5P(peterek did something to them to add bass, initially wasn't going to add them but they were very disruptive)

Thanks. Quite a lineup of top headphones there.

"very disruptive" (?) What mod was done to your T5P?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back