ATH-W1000X Thread!
Apr 8, 2013 at 4:59 PM Post #856 of 1,994
I purchased a pair of these recently.

I have a pair of A900Xs right now and I promised that would be that for my desktop gaming sessions. However, curiosity got the better of me.

I have no real interest in using these for music, pretty much only for competitive gaming. I do hope that their performance in this regard (as well as comfort) is an improvement over the A900X.

I've only briefly demo'd the A900X, but I can say the W1000X are quite comfortable for gaming, and that they're (imho) a reasonable improvement over the A900X. That said, when it comes to gaming audio there's very much a "break point" where spending more does not improve performance that much - in terms of accurate positioning and hearing various cues, I'd honestly say that the Bose AE2 are no worse than my electrostats or the W1000X. :xf_eek:

Apr 8, 2013 at 5:05 PM Post #857 of 1,994
Quote:
I've only briefly demo'd the A900X, but I can say the W1000X are quite comfortable for gaming, and that they're (imho) a reasonable improvement over the A900X. That said, when it comes to gaming audio there's very much a "break point" where spending more does not improve performance that much - in terms of accurate positioning and hearing various cues, I'd honestly say that the Bose AE2 are no worse than my electrostats or the W1000X.
redface.gif

Oh dear God.. perhaps I've made a terrible mistake.
frown.gif

Apr 8, 2013 at 6:23 PM Post #858 of 1,994
ideally, i would get another headset with faster bass/less echoey-ness for gaming. when there are a lot of things going on, (like gunfire and explosions happening at the same time) I don't think the W1000x will handle it too well. The 5.1 Razer headsets, Logitech, or Astro headsets aren't too bad in that regard.

Apr 8, 2013 at 7:17 PM Post #860 of 1,994
Quote:
The W1000X do a fine job with games (they can absolutely handle everything, and will provide a very fun experience), but I think spending more than around $200 for headphones *just* for gaming is kind of a waste.
redface.gif

Well, besides competitive gameplay (mostly first-person shooters), plenty of AAA single-player titles have riveting soundtracks and stunning sound design.

The JH13s are my one true love when it comes to music and I doubt the W1000X or anything short of the SR-009 will change that.
bigsmile_face.gif

I think the A900X do really well, but I haven't had it long enough (not even two weeks) to fully form an opinion about it.
redface.gif

Apr 8, 2013 at 7:20 PM Post #861 of 1,994
Well, besides competitive gameplay (mostly first-person shooters), plenty of AAA single-player titles have riveting soundtracks and stunning sound design.

Even still - I just don't think "high end" headphones are worth the purchase price solely for gaming. The W1000X shouldn't disappoint you though - they're very competent performers, and will probably provide a very good experience for you. Don't expect to hear "even more" though, is basically all I'm saying. :xf_eek:

Apr 9, 2013 at 1:41 PM Post #862 of 1,994
Quote:
ideally, i would get another headset with faster bass/less echoey-ness for gaming. when there are a lot of things going on, (like gunfire and explosions happening at the same time) I don't think the W1000x will handle it too well. The 5.1 Razer headsets, Logitech, or Astro headsets aren't too bad in that regard.

Do you think blu-tack would fix that? This problem doesn't seem to affect my A900X though I'm really curious to see which I'll prefer.

I remember espying that you have (had?) SR-007 pads on your (?) W1000Xs. Do you think they are keepers? How does the space for your ear compare to the stock (want to keep things circumaural)? I am eying a pair of brown MK1 pads right now, but replacement earpads are so expensive...

Apr 9, 2013 at 10:40 PM Post #863 of 1,994
bass is A LOT tighter. sound has less decay. it closes the "distance'-ey sound to your music. sometimes it makes it feel like singers are singing right next to your ear, or makes it sound like you're inside the instrument being played. bass is punchy as heck. low-mids have too much growl sometimes. not things i enjoy too much lol. still makes classical music sound sweeter than ever before 

regarding the 007 pads, i dont have the chance to a/b stock vs stax pads due to mid terms :frowning2: and because i cannot remember how the stock ones sound like anymore. I do know that there was significant change in the sound, but i just cant remember what it was.

I'll tell you this for sure: comfort increased a thousand-fold. isolation is about the same; no change in that department. if you live in california and don't mind driving to the sacramento area, i'd be willing to let you try them.

Apr 10, 2013 at 8:40 AM Post #864 of 1,994
Quote:
bass is A LOT tighter. sound has less decay. it closes the "distance'-ey sound to your music. sometimes it makes it feel like singers are singing right next to your ear, or makes it sound like you're inside the instrument being played. bass is punchy as heck. low-mids have too much growl sometimes. not things i enjoy too much lol. still makes classical music sound sweeter than ever before 

regarding the 007 pads, i dont have the chance to a/b stock vs stax pads due to mid terms :frowning2: and because i cannot remember how the stock ones sound like anymore. I do know that there was significant change in the sound, but i just cant remember what it was.

I'll tell you this for sure: comfort increased a thousand-fold. isolation is about the same; no change in that department. if you live in california and don't mind driving to the sacramento area, i'd be willing to let you try them.

Thanks. If anything I'll probably just dampen the backs of the drivers and leave the cups and rest alone.

I might invest in replacement pads if I like these better than the A900X and sell the latter off.

Apr 10, 2013 at 12:53 PM Post #865 of 1,994
Quote:
Thanks. If anything I'll probably just dampen the backs of the drivers and leave the cups and rest alone.

I might invest in replacement pads if I like these better than the A900X and sell the latter off.

The pads I use on mine are the J-money Beyer pads. They really improve the bass, tame the highs and take the comfort to a new level. I really did not like them much with the stock pads. As far as mods to the cups, a couple of small strips of Dynamat around the rim of the inside of the cup works wonders to tame the bass.

Apr 10, 2013 at 12:59 PM Post #866 of 1,994
Quote:
The pads I use on mine are the J-money Beyer pads. They really improve the bass, tame the highs and take the comfort to a new level. I really did not like them much with the stock pads. As far as mods to the cups, a couple of small strips of Dynamat around the rim of the inside of the cup works wonders to tame the bass.

Thanks for the info.

Do you know if stock Beyer velour pads would fit? I'm interested in purchasing OEM black velour DT 770/880/990 earpads from Beyerdynamic as a cheap stand-by but I'm not sure if they'll fit (I imagine they'd need some stretch). I love velour from my experience with the HD25-1 IIs.

Apr 10, 2013 at 7:28 PM Post #867 of 1,994
I like the L3000 pads plenty enough! And I enjoy the sound of these cans without mods, they compliment my dt 880s well and I don't feel they are bright. Non the less I don't like modding my MOST expensive cans xD I mod the cheaper ones as I move up [which means the dt 990s might be next <3 <3]

Non the less I'd love to hear the modded can! 

Apr 11, 2013 at 3:22 AM Post #868 of 1,994
Quote:
I like the L3000 pads plenty enough! And I enjoy the sound of these cans without mods, they compliment my dt 880s well and I don't feel they are bright. Non the less I don't like modding my MOST expensive cans xD I mod the cheaper ones as I move up [which means the dt 990s might be next <3 <3]

http://www.head-fi.org/t/544507/ath-w1000x-mods Purrin's mod, completely reversible if you do not like it.

Apr 11, 2013 at 12:13 PM Post #869 of 1,994
Quote:

They're very nice pads, softer and more comfortable than the stock W3000ANV leather pads.  I have blu tak mods per purrin's photo tutorial and L3000 pads installed on my W1000X and it helps tame some of the resonances and speed issues the base headphone has.  Blu tak also comes off cleanly so it is reversible, as long as you're careful disassembling your headphone to not damage anything in the process.

Apr 11, 2013 at 7:27 PM Post #870 of 1,994
Just got my W1000X in today.. wow.

I mean, the sound is a bit astonishing coming from the A900X -- not in terms of any improvement but just in terms of the change in signature.

I have a feeling that these headphones will be instantly impressive to the layman who auditions them, just as my HF-2 are.

First impressions are very positive and I have a feeling I'll be selling the A900X if the W1000X hold up to gaming. If I had to pick one it'd be the A900X (less playful of a sound), but since I have the JH13 as my personal pinnacle of neutral performance I don't really see myself using the A900X that much. The W1000X seems like a pretty good complement to the JH13.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back