ATH-W1000X Thread!
Apr 12, 2013 at 1:35 PM Post #872 of 1,994
Quote:
I love mine, change those pads and you will really hear what it can do. I use mine more then any of my other cans, they just do vocals so well.

yup vocals on clear top tubes r wonderful!  I use mine more than any other can as well [but 1 whole year of dt 880 sound sig xD get's tiring] non the less they compliment my 880s well! 

Apr 12, 2013 at 9:11 PM Post #874 of 1,994
All the full-size models using the 53mm driver size should have freely interchangeable pads.

Apr 12, 2013 at 10:04 PM Post #876 of 1,994
Quote:
But can't the driver housing have different dimensions and screw up the fit?

Yeah, the housings on the wooden headphones are just slightly smaller than the AT Art series.  I tried to put the old W1000X pads on a pair of A900's and it required quite a bit of stretching to get the pads on there.  

Apr 12, 2013 at 11:29 PM Post #877 of 1,994
Yeah, the housings on the wooden headphones are just slightly smaller than the AT Art series.  I tried to put the old W1000X pads on a pair of A900's and it required quite a bit of stretching to get the pads on there.  

So I guess the other way around would be fine going from a A900 to W1000X. I'll see if I can get a hold of some A900 or AD2000 pads and try them since I'm afraid of taking my AD700 pads off and tearing them. What I've noticed with these headphones though is that the more you press the cups to your ear the better and fuller they sound. I'm hoping the shallower velour pads will give the same effect and at the same time be more comfortable.

Apr 13, 2013 at 7:33 PM Post #878 of 1,994
I have both the A900X and the W1000X. I have a pair of JMoney Beyerdynamic pads coming in soon and I might try it out on both of them -- I don't imagine they'll fit the A900X easily since the cups do seem to be somewhat larger. The W1000X does seem to have deeper cups though.

I might try to do a F1000X, though I'll have to study the F5000/F5005 thread a little more. I don't plan on damping the wooden part of the cups at all since I find that cherry resonance to be very endearing.

Even with the stock pads though, the W1000X lean on the upper side of bassy. I wouldn't be willing to deal with more bass quantity than this, so I might have to skip some of the steps once I identify which ones increased bass quantity on the F5005.

Apr 13, 2013 at 8:20 PM Post #879 of 1,994
Quote:
I have both the A900X and the W1000X. I have a pair of JMoney Beyerdynamic pads coming in soon and I might try it out on both of them -- I don't imagine they'll fit the A900X easily since the cups do seem to be somewhat larger. The W1000X does seem to have deeper cups though.

I might try to do a F1000X, though I'll have to study the F5000/F5005 thread a little more. I don't plan on damping the wooden part of the cups at all since I find that cherry resonance to be very endearing.

Even with the stock pads though, the W1000X lean on the upper side of bassy. I wouldn't be willing to deal with more bass quantity than this, so I might have to skip some of the steps once I identify which ones increased bass quantity on the F5005.

Let me know what you think of the pads. If you do not like them I will gladly purchase them from you.

Apr 16, 2013 at 10:07 AM Post #880 of 1,994
Quote:
Non the less wonderful cans, great with vocals and even better on tubes, also guys check out the Vocals Thread for some really magical tunes with these cans...

Link to that thread, please?

Apr 16, 2013 at 10:29 AM Post #881 of 1,994
Quote:
I've been using these with a Burson Soloist SL but I'm finding them a bit on the bright and fatiguing side. I don't know if that was a mistake and if I should have gone with the WA6 instead. I was hesitant on the WA6 cause of the very high 15ohm output impedance. Any advice or opinions?

If you wanna go SS, here are my recommendations: Violectric V200, any Gilmore-designed amps (Dynalo, HA++, GS-1)

Apr 16, 2013 at 11:17 AM Post #882 of 1,994
Quote:
 What I've noticed with these headphones though is that the more you press the cups to your ear the better and fuller they sound. I'm hoping the shallower velour pads will give the same effect and at the same time be more comfortable.

That probably means you're not getting a good seal. The closed A-T headphones shouldn't sound significantly different when you're pressing them closer to your head. Some change can be accounted for because the pads are getting compressed and the driver gets closer to your ears, but if the bass quantity and the like are significantly increased, you should try adjusting the fit.

Try a different positioning on your head, or adjust the clamping force by either bending the headbands or using elastics as some other user pointed out.

Apr 17, 2013 at 12:07 AM Post #883 of 1,994
Quote:
Link to that thread, please?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/657660/female-vocals-exchange-thread-all-languages-and-cultures/15#post_9353471
Quote:

That probably means you're not getting a good seal. The closed A-T headphones shouldn't sound significantly different when you're pressing them closer to your head. Some change can be accounted for because the pads are getting compressed and the driver gets closer to your ears, but if the bass quantity and the like are significantly increased, you should try adjusting the fit.

Try a different positioning on your head, or adjust the clamping force by either bending the headbands or using elastics as some other user pointed out.

Yea I notice more forward mids and less EVERYTHING when I push em close but never to much more bass. I used to when I didn't get the fit right. I had to physically WARP my headband to clamp my head correctly... yours might need the same since all heads r shapped differently! 

Apr 17, 2013 at 8:06 PM Post #884 of 1,994
Quote:
Let me know what you think of the pads. If you do not like them I will gladly purchase them from you.

I got the pads today and I'm surprised with (1) how well they fit the W1000X and (2) how naked the W1000X driver assembly is with the stock pads removed. I was pretty afraid of getting hair or dust into the drivers.

I'm not 100% sure on how the sound changed as I'm not an expert "pad roller" and don't believe I could properly AB these to confidently say, but the comfort is vastly improved and I find them less sonically fatiguing for long sessions.

I recently got a pair of HD 650s in a trade and I do believe that the W1000X are at least in the same class, so I'm shocked as to why they're so overlooked. Must be that orthodynamic craze?

Apr 17, 2013 at 8:19 PM Post #885 of 1,994
Quote:
I got the pads today and I'm surprised with (1) how well they fit the W1000X and (2) how naked the W1000X driver assembly is with the stock pads removed. I was pretty afraid of getting hair or dust into the drivers.

I'm not 100% sure on how the sound changed as I'm not an expert "pad roller" and don't believe I could properly AB these to confidently say, but the comfort is vastly improved and I find them less sonically fatiguing for long sessions.

I recently got a pair of HD 650s in a trade and I do believe that the W1000X are at least in the same class, so I'm shocked as to why they're so overlooked. Must be that orthodynamic craze?

yea I love mine with the pads, great comfort and awesome sound! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back