ATH-CK90Pro Impressions
Feb 24, 2010 at 1:03 PM Post #61 of 97
I'm the one who said they are sibilant!
biggrin.gif

There were sharp ssss sounds that I found annoying and this is why I felt they were sibilant, other than that I thought they were pretty good. I don't feel these are bright phones, the CK100 definitely places more influence on the higher frequencies. I agree that the CK10, CK100 and E-Q7 are better built, those of you expecting the build quality to be like CK10 and the 100 will be disappointed. They are built much more like the CK9 which in my opinion is still pretty good.
The other thing that I would like to point out is that the CK90Pros, the CK10 and CK100's I auditioned should be well burnt in since they have been playing in the store non-stop for god knows how long! As for the E-Q7, I doubt it was burnt in at all because it was not connected up to anything and is a fairly new IEM which looked to be in brand new condition.

I did prefer both my CK100 and the CK90Pro's over the E-Q7's in terms of SQ and fit.

Never listened to the CKS70 so I can't comment on how they compare.

Feb 24, 2010 at 2:26 PM Post #62 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by javajive /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think anyone who has owned many of the top tier IEMs and ranks the ck10 or 100 at the top will be dissapointed with the ck90pro.

As for listening, yes they have heavier bass but everthing else pails in
comparisan. They sound very different and very inferior to the ck10/100

While they sound is a bit closer to the e-q7 than the ck10/ck100, the e-q7 is in a completely different leaque as well.

as for the poster who says they could be sibilent, I some how doubt it as the highs are quite muffled and rolled off.

Personally, if someone offered to trade their 90pro for my cks70, I would decline.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donnyhifi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I did prefer both my CK100 and the CK90Pro's over the E-Q7's in terms of SQ and fit.

I guess the two above posts show why I am glad I have them on order...I get to find out for myself! From sibilant to muffled.

And I thought the CKS70 wasn't all that great. Come on customs/USPS, speed it up!

Feb 24, 2010 at 4:13 PM Post #63 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by average_joe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess the two above posts show why I am glad I have them on order...I get to find out for myself!

I like your style
icon10.gif

I hope I am rich enough to do things like you...

Mar 1, 2010 at 8:40 AM Post #65 of 97
OK, so I got these last Thursday. Out of the box I was thinking, what have I done? Maybe I wouldn't have traded my CKS70 for these. They were bad with all the tips I tried, but I didn't try any foam (or MC triple flange). The funny thing is the treble was harsh and sibilant, but recessed. How could this be? I finally decided to try the large foam that came with them. Wow, now that is an improvement.

The included foam is the widest foam tip I have ever come across, but it also made my ears itch. So, MC triple flange here I come. Comfortable and great sounding compared to any other silicon I tried.

So, I was just starting my review comparison of the Copper and just not liking how dark these sound. And the treble was still a little harsh compared to the other. I figured removing the foam would increase both the treble and the harshness, but to my surprise, it only increased the quantity. I actually think it smoothed out the treble. I haven't had much ear time with them yet, but for my first comparison song they fared quite well.

If you have the CK90Pro and think they suck, or want more treble out of them, or want smoother treble, remove the foam in the nozzle (of course, do this at your own risk and I assume no responsibility for your actions).

Mar 1, 2010 at 8:53 AM Post #67 of 97
Quote:

I finally decided to try the large foam that came with them. Wow, now that is an improvement.

Glad to hear you found a solution. I had only listened to them with a variety of single flange tips.....

this is one case where I am glad to be proven wrong!

Mar 1, 2010 at 8:57 AM Post #68 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by Donnyhifi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm the one who said they are sibilant!
biggrin.gif

T

Guess we are both kind of right. I'm also starting to think that I have a really tolerance level for sibilance. Not sure whether that is a good thing or not!

Mar 1, 2010 at 9:01 AM Post #69 of 97
@ KLS: I haven't touched an EQ in what, 3 months
smily_headphones1.gif
But foam or the MC triple flange helped, but pulling out the foam in the nozzle was a 2 for 1!

@ javajive: I couldn't believe how bad they sounded with the silicon tips to my ears. But they still were very dark but near sibilant, which is just weird. Glad removing the foam took that away. On a side note, removing the foam from the CKS70 makes that sound like a nice, balanced IEM, but it does kill the soundstage. The CKS70 actually has really nice treble with the foam removed.

Maybe AT put the foam in to accentuate the bass and reduce the similarities between the CK10/CK100 and CK90Pro, although I do find the CK10 and CK90Pro to sound much different still (the CK10 has more of a treble focus).

Mar 1, 2010 at 9:02 AM Post #70 of 97
Hey average_joe, I just tried your suggestion. (I never tried removing the foam myself before, as it seemed fairly stuck in there.)

Yes, the foam is actually glued in, though the mod seems to be somewhat reversible - the foam can be stuck back in, though obviously not as securely as it was before.

However, there's no reason to put it back in - joe is right, the treble improves tremendously. This isn't a minor change, it gives the 90Pros the energy that I have missed from my RE0's. It also means I can turn off the equaliser on my Walkman, as I have pretty much the sound signature I want without tweaking!
biggrin.gif
(Ie: RE0 energy with 90Pro bass and soundstage/imaging.) It does introduce a bit of harshness in my opinion, but the overall balance is improved so much.

I've been meaning to get around to writing a comparison review, but once again this puts a pleasant spanner in the works.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 1, 2010 at 9:06 AM Post #71 of 97
Hi a_recording, thanks for trying...it is a huge change. I actually think the CK90Pro has a better balance than the CK10 now. But not sure it images better.

And I wonder why I am hearing it the treble as smoother now? How do you wear them? I wear them with the cable over my ears and get a great insertion angle, whereas with the cables down I just don't get that same angle.

Mar 1, 2010 at 9:11 AM Post #72 of 97
I run them over my ears - they are really comfortable that way, except the cable hasn't got great memory.

I listened to some sine wave sweeps and I can definately hear the treble energy improve, but its still somewhat uneven... some frequences higher, some little dips, and I'm fairly sensitive to some of the peaks. I normally have to EQ down 4K/6K as I'm a bit sensitive to those frequencies, but I'll see how I go with no EQ for now.

I actually put the RE252 filters on the 90Pro just now so that they weren't completely unprotected. Maybe that will take the edge of the treble just a little too.

Mar 1, 2010 at 9:13 AM Post #73 of 97
Quote:

@ javajive: On a side note, removing the foam from the CKS70 makes that sound like a nice, balanced IEM, but it does kill the soundstage. The CKS70 actually has really nice treble with the foam removed.

I removed the foam from the CKS70 within anhour of having them. Did the same with my FX500 although they were more of a thin paper filter. I figured there wasn't much to lose by doing so as what can be taken off can usually put back in.

Haven't thought about removing the filters from my CK10 though.... they look like they be a little harder to get back in due to the small diameter.

While the FX500 is collecting dust my cks70s aren't as i use them on my Imac for listening to movies and what not while the klan are sleeping as they are so easy to pop in and pop out of the ears. will be interesting to see how well they can be tweaked with different tips.

Mar 1, 2010 at 9:16 AM Post #74 of 97
Quote:

Hi a_recording, thanks for trying...it is a huge change. I actually think the CK90Pro has a better balance than the CK10 now. But not sure it images better.

And I wonder why I am hearing it the treble as smoother now? How do you wear them? I wear them with the cable over my ears and get a great insertion angle, whereas with the cables down I just don't get that same angle.

By better balance than CK10, do you mean more bass but a tad of reduced treble compared to CK10?

Mar 1, 2010 at 9:16 AM Post #75 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by a_recording /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I run them over my ears - they are really comfortable that way, except the cable hasn't got great memory.

I listened to some sine wave sweeps and I can definately hear the treble energy improve, but its still somewhat uneven... some frequences higher, some little dips, and I'm fairly sensitive to some of the peaks. I normally have to EQ down 4K/6K as I'm a bit sensitive to those frequencies, but I'll see how I go with no EQ for now.

I actually put the RE252 filters on the 90Pro just now so that they weren't completely unprotected. Maybe that will take the edge of the treble just a little too.

I guess you are more sensitive than I, at least to the CK90 peaks. And I was thinking of putting the 252 filters on also! Funny. Please let me know if it smooths things more.

Quote:

Originally Posted by javajive /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I removed the foam from the CKS70 within anhour of having them. Did the same with my FX500 although they were more of a thin paper filter. I figured there wasn't much to lose by doing so as what can be taken off can usually put back in.

Haven't thought about removing the filters from my CK10 though.... they look like they be a little harder to get back in due to the small diameter.

While the FX500 is collecting dust my cks70s aren't as i use them on my Imac for listening to movies and what not while the klan are sleeping as they are so easy to pop in and pop out of the ears. will be interesting to see how well they can be tweaked with different tips.

Yea, the CKS70 is dark, but I didn't really think they were anything special with the foam out, at least anything special for the price.

And What is your take on the FX500 treble. I am not a fan and think the CK90 foam should go in those
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back