ATH-CK90Pro Impressions
Feb 24, 2010 at 3:05 AM Post #46 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by Donnyhifi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I did manage to check out the CK90Pros while I was looking at the Ortofons, my thoughts below:

The ATH-CK90Pro has greater bass impact than both the CK10 and CK100, I gave them a second listen though my sessions were quite brief. They are a very good pair of headphones except for one thing, the trebles have abit of sibilance to it which varies depending on your source.
The sibilance is less with a better source, their amped source had less sibilance and sounded fuller than my Cowon X5. I also think some Foamies such as the Audio Technica Foamies would help with reducing the sibilance.

It is also a very different sound signature when compared to the CK10 and CK100. The CK10 and CK100 have more forward mids when compared to the CK90Pros.
I feel they are less coloured than the CK100 with greater bass impact.

I think these are definitely worth a listen though some might find them fatiguing with the stock rubbers, I will give them another go when I get another source to test with.

The CK90Pros intrigue me with their SQ and I might just pickup a pair since they are about 14,000Yen in Japan
smily_headphones1.gif

How did you like them compared to the Ortofons? I had those for a while, but it may not be the best idea to use them as a benchmark since I suspect they didn't match up with my ear canal shape very well.

Feb 24, 2010 at 3:08 AM Post #47 of 97
Those are the two iem's I'm currently look at for my next purchase. I would like to hear about that as well. I think I've been lucky to resist buying them so far. I almost bought them a couple days ago for around 190 from seyo shop.

Feb 24, 2010 at 3:38 AM Post #48 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by rawrster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Those are the two iem's I'm currently look at for my next purchase. I would like to hear about that as well. I think I've been lucky to resist buying them so far. I almost bought them a couple days ago for around 190 from seyo shop.

Yeah, I couldn't hold out any longer. I reread this thread several times tonight, and I like what I'm reading about the bass being close to the CKS70's (which have INSANE bass), yet with awesome separation and detail.

I just picked them up from seyo-shop, they were right at $177 I think it was.....

Feb 24, 2010 at 3:44 AM Post #49 of 97
thats actually why im waiting for average joe who has the ck10 to compare. insane bass would be instant sell/return for me :p

Feb 24, 2010 at 4:32 AM Post #50 of 97
Not sure how accurate these are, but found some interesting frequency graphs while searching some Japanese sites:

CK9 vs CK10
CK9CK10Freq.gif

CK90Pro vs ER4P
CK90PRO_vsER4P_FR.gif

CKS70 vs CKM70
FR_CKS70_vs_CKM70.gif

Ortofon e-Q7 vs ER4P
normaleQ7vsER4PFR.gif

[size=xx-small]Source for 1st graph: Google Translate
Source for rest: Google Translate[/size]

It looks like the CK90Pro has more bass than the e-Q7 according to the graphs.

Feb 24, 2010 at 4:38 AM Post #51 of 97
That first graph makes it seem that the CK10 has more low end than the CK90Pro...

Geez, graphs can be so confusing.

Feb 24, 2010 at 4:39 AM Post #52 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by cn11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That first graph makes it seem that the CK10 has more low end than the CK90Pro...

Geez, graphs can be so confusing.

The first graph is CK9, not CK90Pro. Two different phones.
wink.gif

Feb 24, 2010 at 4:40 AM Post #53 of 97
Ah, whoops!! Guess my mind's been so fixated on the CK90pro vs. CK10 that my eyes read it into that graph....

Feb 24, 2010 at 5:13 AM Post #54 of 97
I am curious as to how close the e-Q7 is to the CK90Pro...they look very similar...my observations:
- CK90Pro has a little more bass
- CK90Pro has a less mids
- e-Q7 has a little peak (that some people complain about) in the upper mids
- CK90Pro looks like it has more extended treble

I am still contemplating getting the e-Q7.

Feb 24, 2010 at 5:24 AM Post #55 of 97
i have to see in a couple days if im able to get the eq7 for cheap. they do look similar from the graphs but they could only tell you so much without actually hearing it

Feb 24, 2010 at 5:30 AM Post #56 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by rawrster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i have to see in a couple days if im able to get the eq7 for cheap. they do look similar from the graphs but they could only tell you so much without actually hearing it

True, charts can only tell so much. And care to share where might you be able to get an e-Q7 for cheap?

Feb 24, 2010 at 5:31 AM Post #57 of 97
some headfier pm'ed me about a trade a day or two ago so technically it is cheap

although im also looking at getting it bought from japan and a friend shipping it over as well but that might be too much work

Feb 24, 2010 at 5:33 AM Post #59 of 97
well it definitely isnt going to be for my ck10
wink.gif

edit..enough side tracking from the ck90pro from me.

Feb 24, 2010 at 6:17 AM Post #60 of 97
I think anyone who has owned many of the top tier IEMs and ranks the ck10 or 100 at the top will be dissapointed with the ck90pro.

Upon taking them out of the box, the first thing to be noticed is that the build quality inclding cable seems cheap in comparisan.

As for listening, yes they have heavier bass but everthing else pails in
comparisan. They sound very different and very inferior to the ck10/100

While they sound is a bit closer to the e-q7 than the ck10/ck100, the e-q7 is in a completely different leaque as well.

as for the poster who says they could be sibilent, I some how doubt it as the highs are quite muffled and rolled off.

Personally, if someone offered to trade their 90pro for my cks70, I would decline.

As for buying from Japan, the tenso.com and kakaku.com combination is the cheapest way to go as I mentioned in a thread I started on this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back