ATH-CK90Pro Impressions
Mar 1, 2010 at 9:17 AM Post #76 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by KLS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
By better balance than CK10, do you mean more bass but a tad of reduced treble compared to CK10?

More bass and added warmth with reduced treble. But that doesn't mean I don't really like the way the CK10 sounds, as I do!

Mar 1, 2010 at 9:23 AM Post #77 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by average_joe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
More bass and added warmth with reduced treble. But that doesn't mean I don't really like the way the CK10 sounds, as I do!

Ok, I can somehow 'imagine' how the CK90Pro would sound.

By the way, just curious about one thing: I thought adding a foam in the sound tube could reduce/dampen treble, (I am not doubting your ears) but somewhat can't really understand why by removing the foam can reduce treble.

Mar 1, 2010 at 9:24 AM Post #78 of 97
Quote:

I'm going to have to do some serious listening before I get over my initial excitement, but I would probably guess if the CK10s had more treble and less bass, then they are probably going to sound a bit more unbalanced - as I find the RE0's to be fairly thin.

I'm not sure the RE252 filters do much to the treble, but they don't seem to hurt and I don't want all sorts of things falling into that open tube. XD

One thing to note: I use Sony Hybrid tips on the 90Pros (I use them pretty much on all my IEMs) as I've always found they give a more intimate sound to any IEM.

Mar 1, 2010 at 9:24 AM Post #79 of 97
Quote:

And What is your take on the FX500 treble. I am not a fan and think the CK90 foam should go in those
smily_headphones1.gif

on my a845 walkman, it didn't bother me at all but it clearly is not in the same league as the treble on the CK10 which I find clearer and smother with better imaging. However, I tried them on a 2nd generation nano that was lying around and they made Yoko Ono, Bjork and Tiny Tim sound like the Three Tenors! Twas truly horrible.

Mar 1, 2010 at 3:01 PM Post #80 of 97
Quote:

Ok, I can somehow 'imagine' how the CK90Pro would sound.

By the way, just curious about one thing: I thought adding a foam in the sound tube could reduce/dampen treble, (I am not doubting your ears) but somewhat can't really understand why by removing the foam can reduce treble.

The foam in the sound tube does reduce the treble. The CK90Pro has much less treble than the CK10 and sounds really dark It actually sounds dark compared to just about every IEM I have heard. Plus, even though it is dark, the treble wasn't smooth or enjoyable. Removing the foam increased the treble, giving the CK90Pro more balance across the spectrum. But it still has less treble and more bass compared to the CK10.

Quote:

Originally Posted by a_recording /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm going to have to do some serious listening before I get over my initial excitement, but I would probably guess if the CK10s had more treble and less bass, then they are probably going to sound a bit more unbalanced - as I find the RE0's to be fairly thin.

Yes!

Quote:

I'm not sure the RE252 filters do much to the treble, but they don't seem to hurt and I don't want all sorts of things falling into that open tube. XD

One thing to note: I use Sony Hybrid tips on the 90Pros (I use them pretty much on all my IEMs) as I've always found they give a more intimate sound to any IEM.

The Monster Cable triple flange tips are by far the best tips for me with both ATs. And if what you mean by intimate is a realistic presentation that makes you feel like you are there because of the imagining, yes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by javajive /img/forum/go_quote.gif
on my a845 walkman, it didn't bother me at all but it clearly is not in the same league as the treble on the CK10 which I find clearer and smother with better imaging. However, I tried them on a 2nd generation nano that was lying around and they made Yoko Ono, Bjork and Tiny Tim sound like the Three Tenors! Twas truly horrible.

Yea, source is going to affect the sound, but no matter what source I use, it the treble is at least a little problematic for me.

Mar 3, 2010 at 7:22 AM Post #82 of 97
Didn't know where else to put this and didn't want to start a new thread, so I will just post it here.

No revelations if you have looked at the frequency response charts and imagine the CK90Pro with the treble in better balance to the bass.

Bass: Of course, the CK90Pro has more bass and warmth, and while there is more bass slam, it is still fast bass. On big bass passages neither reverberate they way a dynamic does, although the CK90Pro is closer. This it to be expected as they are both BA designs; which presentation (dynamic vs. BA) is right is open for debate (I choose to enjoy both). But the CK90Pro does have an added warmth that makes certain music very enjoyable such as the piano. And due to the added bass in the CK90Pro, the bass details are more apparent. For example, one of my test track Epica - Indigo has faint ticking at the beginning that I can not hear with every IEM. But I know it is there because some reproduce it. Surprisingly the CK10 doesn't while the CK90Pro does at the volume level I was listening at (crank the volume up and I can hear it).

Mids: With the comparison time I have given these two, the mids seem very similar. I might find more differences with additional listening. My problem is I got too much new gear too quickly.

Treble: The CK10 is the treble king here as it has not only more treble energy, but the treble detail reaches out and grabs you! The treble detail of the CK90Pro is analogous to the bass detail of the CK10 mentioned above; sometimes it is difficult to hear it all at quieter volumes. The CK10 treble sounds lighter and airy most of the time, but with some of my female vocal metal (i.e. Nightwish, In This Moment) for example, the treble is a little too sharp. Of course, this is due to the recording.

Imaging: At first I thought the CK10 was the clear winner, but upon specifically paying attention to how the music is portrayed in 3D space, they both do a great job, but do id a little different. The CK90Pro seems a to push everything forward a little compared to the CK10.

Soundstage Width: Again I thought the CK10 was the winner, but the CK90Pro is about on par.

So, which is better? They actually compliment each other and depending on the song, I usually distinctly preferred one or the other. But to me, I can just blindly grab one or the other and have hours of music enjoyment. Now, if AT (or anyone) can make an IEM with the CK90Pro bass and CK10 treble (and the mids from either), I am going to grab that!

Mar 3, 2010 at 7:51 AM Post #84 of 97
@ average joe, nice comparison!

So they both have their own strenght apparently. However with CK90Pro being cheaper, with more bass and reduced treble, then...
evil_smiley.gif
It's kind of suit me.

Mar 3, 2010 at 8:41 AM Post #85 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great impressions roundup Joe! I will be in Japan in a few weeks and may opt to pick up yet another Audio Technica!

Or at least bring in tweezers to remove the foam for your audition
wink.gif
It might also help them sell more! Now I need to read more on the coloration of the CK100, because if it has the CK90Pro bass, CK10 treble, and a coloration I can enjoy, I think I need that!

Quote:

@ average joe, nice comparison!

So they both have their own strenght apparently. However with CK90Pro being cheaper, with more bass and reduced treble, then...
evil_smiley.gif
It's kind of suit me.

No problem, glad I could help and hope you hear it as I do.

Mar 3, 2010 at 9:26 AM Post #86 of 97
Hi Joe, nice impressions! But do I get this right: in the past you've repeatedly explained how the CK10's bass is perfectly fine. Now you've found out that the CK90Pro's is perfectly finer? Just kiddin'... x2 the CK100 might be worth trying.

Mar 3, 2010 at 1:36 PM Post #87 of 97
I'm sorry in advance if you had already put such comparison average joe between CK10 and Cks70, but i want to know how they differ in bass-mid-treble quality&response. If i have to be more clear in my state, i listen to trance. Though i like Cks70 for this genre, i ask for some quicker bass and highly detailed trebles with some clean mids. I know Ck10 wouldn't make the impact of Cks70 bass, but i only want bass a little tight and show itself "hey i'm there".

Would Ck10 give me that joy? Or should i consider serious abt ER4S? 'cuz i want something more analytical than Cks70's warm sound even i'm a trance lover - like to hear and enjoy it from higher end.

Mar 3, 2010 at 3:30 PM Post #88 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by james444 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Joe, nice impressions! But do I get this right: in the past you've repeatedly explained how the CK10's bass is perfectly fine. Now you've found out that the CK90Pro's is perfectly finer? Just kiddin'... x2 the CK100 might be worth trying.

I know you are just kidding, but when not A/Bing I do enjoy the CK10 and they way it presents a detailed, spacious, as close to real experience as I have heard for some acoustic songs. The bass is fine for me with everything because it has deep extension. The biggest problem I have with the CK10 (and CK90Pro) is the treble can be very harsh with some of my poorly mastered songs. But if I had to choose the bass from one, you know which I would choose!

Quote:

Originally Posted by okur /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm sorry in advance if you had already put such comparison average joe between CK10 and Cks70, but i want to know how they differ in bass-mid-treble quality&response. If i have to be more clear in my state, i listen to trance. Though i like Cks70 for this genre, i ask for some quicker bass and highly detailed trebles with some clean mids. I know Ck10 wouldn't make the impact of Cks70 bass, but i only want bass a little tight and show itself "hey i'm there".

Would Ck10 give me that joy? Or should i consider serious abt ER4S? 'cuz i want something more analytical than Cks70's warm sound even i'm a trance lover - like to hear and enjoy it from higher end.

CKS70 is a very different animal than the CK10. And I am wondering why you wouldn't be asking about the CK90Pro vs. the CK10. The CKS70 is a laid back bass oriented IEM. I don't think the detail is very good across the spectrum, and I sold mine as I felt the treble seriously lacked extension. The CK90Pro has a similar sound sig out of the box, but taking the foam out of the nozzle really help open the CK90Pro up, otherwise it is not worth the $$$ to me. Both are extremely detailed, but what I think they do better than other BAs I have heard is they throw a more convincing 3D space. However, I have yet to give a Westone multi BA IEM a go at home, but have spent about an hour total with the W3 and UM3X.

So, while the CK10 would get you the ultra treble details, I think the CK90Pro would be an easier transition from the CKS70. But different flavors, so take your pick.

Mar 3, 2010 at 3:43 PM Post #89 of 97
nice impressions joe!

no thanks to you however..my next purchase just got a bit more difficult ;p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back