Astell&Kern AK380
Oct 29, 2015 at 1:53 PM Post #2,387 of 9,041
  and with QOBUZ or TIDAL integration ?     Sorry...I'm just dreaming 
frown.gif

Its easy enough to get Tidal,Qobuz onto your AK and if you want a free music service "soundcloud" which is fantastic in discovering new music,can also cast via Bubbleupnp.

Oct 29, 2015 at 2:37 PM Post #2,388 of 9,041
Anyone using AK380  firmware 1.14 have an issue with the no sound when a new track starts playing?  Mine does it only with 24/352 flac files.  All other files are fine.  I learned from another 380 user on this forum, wmns, that they too had this same problem using 1.14 and it was related to gapless playback.  But they had the loss of sound issue with all file bit/frequencies.  If everyone else is using 1.14 with no loss of sound problem with gapless playback then there must be something different with my unit's build.

Oct 29, 2015 at 2:59 PM Post #2,389 of 9,041
it is sad to see that player for $ 2000 needs a certain firmware to play better!

Oct 29, 2015 at 9:51 PM Post #2,390 of 9,041
  Anyone using AK380  firmware 1.14 have an issue with the no sound when a new track starts playing?  Mine does it only with 24/352 flac files.  All other files are fine.  I learned from another 380 user on this forum, wmns, that they too had this same problem using 1.14 and it was related to gapless playback.  But they had the loss of sound issue with all file bit/frequencies.  If everyone else is using 1.14 with no loss of sound problem with gapless playback then there must be something different with my unit's build.

@Fritzz now that is interesting. I have a AK380 demo with 32GB. I was told that the design is a little different (but I am not given further information how). Here is my experience :-

1.11: No problems. Everything was hunky dory

1.14: AK380 would reboot itself after each DSF/DXD track. This is irrespective of internal memory or microSD

1.15: AK380 on internal memory, no problems - no longer reboots. Initially on MicroSD, with DSD/DXD it is as you've described - when on a new track, no sound comes out even though it's "playing". A pause and play would then get the sound resuming.
       I toggled a bunch of settings (Gap on/Gapless, WiFi, etc.). and now it seems to play all the way through and functioning normally again.

So far now after toggled off/on various settings, it's been working normally again now. I don't know if I can re-create that "no sound when a new track starts playing" symptoms anymore.

[Edit: Adding thoughts on 1.15 soundwise]
Sound-wise, I like 1.15. feels very balanced tonally. I'd need to find an old 1.14 & 1.11 in the stores to compare against the 1.15.

Oct 29, 2015 at 10:31 PM Post #2,391 of 9,041
  it is sad to see that player for $ 2000 needs a certain firmware to play better!

Agreed, except we are talking about $3500 here. And why the heck A&K has to keep toying with the SQ that every version sounds different? If the SQ improves in every subsequent version then it's understandable, but lots of times it doesn't. I know improvement in SQ is a subjective thing, they can include choices of previous SQs in newer firmware instead of "too bad, you are stuck with our new flavor". Or at least they should put up all the firmware files so that we can downgrade ourselves.

[Edit: Adding thoughts on 1.15 soundwise]
Sound-wise, I like 1.15. feels very balanced tonally. I'd need to find an old 1.14 & 1.11 in the stores to compare against the 1.15.

I wonder if 1.15 will become an officially released version. 1.15 was the magic number for AK240 so I'm very curious how it will sound for AK380 if it does get released.

Oct 31, 2015 at 8:46 PM Post #2,396 of 9,041

Agreed, except we are talking about $3500 here. And why the heck A&K has to keep toying with the SQ that every version sounds different? If the SQ improves in every subsequent version then it's understandable, but lots of times it doesn't. I know improvement in SQ is a subjective thing, they can include choices of previous SQs in newer firmware instead of "too bad, you are stuck with our new flavor". Or at least they should put up all the firmware files so that we can downgrade ourselves.

My own personal experience has been that I haven't experienced changes in sound since I bought it, regardless of firmware. Does A&K provide a change log of changes when there's a software update?

Just curious how many of ya listing to your music with the EQ off? For me I think it sounds the best off. Plus I can't figure the whole EQ setup to my liking.
Mike

I listen EQ off. It sounds fantastic as is, and I don't really want to bother messing with it. From the little I've played with the "Pro EQ" I can't hear any difference from EQ off, and my (limited) understanding is that EQ uses more battery.

Nov 1, 2015 at 6:20 AM Post #2,398 of 9,041
  My own personal experience has been that I haven't experienced changes in sound since I bought it, regardless of firmware. Does A&K provide a change log of changes when there's a software update?

Yes there's a change log on some countries' iriver site, such as Japan's. They never log changes in SQ though, and I can guarantee you there is change in SQ - in almost every version for AK240 and so far, all versions for AK380.

Nov 1, 2015 at 11:43 AM Post #2,399 of 9,041
Just done an initial charge on my new AK380 and now have to decide on the firmware update - my unit came with version 1.03. The most recent update available foe me to download is 1.14. Any advice on whether to go for that or an earlier version? Another question I have is whether 128 GB is still the maximum size microSD card I can use (as indicated in the manual). Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back