Astell&Kern AK380
Jul 2, 2016 at 3:32 AM Post #5,792 of 9,041
I think taking care of cu version is a full time job, after seeing the pics above

Not really, I spent 15 min cleaning it & the last time I did it was 2 months ago. Wouldn't exactly call that full time. One owner may be fussier than the other. I'm not so but I had spare time today.

Internal components are the same and the sound differences are due to lack of quality control. 380cu is not worth it. In fact people should make it a point not to get something so pretentious in my opinion. Think in a year how it would look. Something $4000 should be timeless not bothersome. I sold my 380 and haven't looked back. Iriver never responds to my emails or calls and after spending so much on their overpriced products it felt like a slap in the face. All of this is my harsh opinion but it's just how I feel. I sold mine and replaced it with products that outperform it by leaps and bounds.

It's pure speculation that the AK380 Cu sounds different from the regular AK380 due to lack of quality control. That is spreading incorrect information. As to whether it's worth it or not, that is up to each individual. If one has to sell off their investments or spend their childrens' savings to buy one, well that's obviously wrong and I agree the AK380 Cu is not worth it. However if one has disposable income and wouldn't bat an eyelid on spending $4000 then why not. It's their money afterall.

W.R.T. your experience of poor AK380 support, sorry to hear that. I've not had such a problem.

Mmm.....just curious, which DAP outperforms the ak380cu by leaps and bounds?

Today? Personally I've not heard of any that could, possibly maybe only a modded AK380 Cu.

Jul 2, 2016 at 3:54 AM Post #5,793 of 9,041
  i think taking care of cu version is a full time job, after seeing the pics above

Agreed. I'm so pleased I went with the vanilla version. Although, it wasn't because of those issues - I just couldn't hear any difference in a side-by-side comparison, and the aesthetic of the copper didn't attract - even from brand new. I'm happy to believe that others hear a difference, even an improvement, but I guess my ears are just not that sensitive.

Jul 2, 2016 at 4:17 AM Post #5,794 of 9,041

mmm......after many weeks of using the ak380cu, let's just say that my love affair continues. Re: maintenance requires more effort but, with the use of a case, tarnishing can be kept at a minimum. I am using the Aesopica Pueblo leather and, because of it, I've reduced polishing and tarnish removal from once a week to about  once every two weeks. Takes me about 12 to 15 minutes to polish it to my standards or about half an  episode of Brooklyn Nine-Nine. So, it is not a "full-time job."

Above, my cleaned-up, ready-to-deliver-audio nirvana AK 380 cu.

Jul 2, 2016 at 5:43 AM Post #5,795 of 9,041

mmm......after many weeks of using the ak380cu, let's just say that my love affair continues. Re: maintenance requires more effort but, with the use of a case, tarnishing can be kept at a minimum. I am using the Aesopica Pueblo leather and, because of it, I've reduced polishing and tarnish removal from once a week to about  once every two weeks. Takes me about 12 to 15 minutes to polish it to my standards or about half an  episode of Brooklyn Nine-Nine. So, it is not a "full-time job."

Above, my cleaned-up, ready-to-deliver-audio nirvana AK 380 cu.

Why is your Cu super shiny???!
eek.gif
Seems I can't achieve the same after polishing mine.
eek.gif

Jul 2, 2016 at 5:54 AM Post #5,796 of 9,041

mmm......what I use to achieve the shiny, coppery goodness. The rubber gloves is mandatory since we're dealing with chemicals. You don't want that crap to be absorbed by your skin.

The copper surface does not cover the entire stack. The back of the cu is a luxurious and beautiful black-and-blue carbon fiber material (easily cleaned with alcohol). The inside exterior part of the cu amp is covered with black plastic (easily cleaned with alcohol). Really, it is not a big hassle. We're talking about roughly 50% of the total surface area of the combined cu and cu amp that needs some TLC. In exchange for enjoying the best DAP in the market? Oh Absolutely.

Jul 2, 2016 at 8:41 AM Post #5,797 of 9,041
Mmm.....just curious, which DAP outperforms the ak380cu by leaps and bounds?

The Tera Player which i have enjoy it enormously for the last 4 years and this is with Koss Porta Pro headphones modified.
But as people suggest adding Tralucent Ref1 too or the even better Plus5 with the new Uber too cable the sound is very emotional,natural and organic.
Keep in mind that I tried the copper before and it sounded digital to me compared to the analogue life like Tera Player.
At the London show i will be comparing the two head to head for who is interested.

Jul 2, 2016 at 9:02 AM Post #5,799 of 9,041
1103ba64e12c2cd2a38e174ddb4a2da1.jpg

I know most people's has been comment ak product is over pricing however so far the sound tuning of their dac so far is the best compare to all the dac I used to own before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jul 2, 2016 at 9:22 AM Post #5,801 of 9,041
The Tera Player which i have enjoy it enormously for the last 4 years and this is with Koss Porta Pro headphones modified.
But as people suggest adding Tralucent Ref1 too or the even better Plus5 with the new Uber too cable the sound is very emotional,natural and organic.
Keep in mind that I tried the copper before and it sounded digital to me compared to the analogue life like Tera Player.
At the London show i will be comparing the two head to head for who is interested.

mmm....yes, I am very much interested in the comparison between the Tera Player vs. the AK 380 cu + cu amp. I suggest using a wide variety of headphones like the HD 800 S, HE 1000, Focal Utopia (which will be featured at CanJam London 2016) and the Audezes, plus other TOTL in-ears, to keep it current and because those are in my inventory (Focal Utopia incoming this July). What I would not be interested in is the world's best DAP for as long as you have a Koss Porta Pro, modified or otherwise.

P.D. I have yet to audition the Tera Player, Light Edition.

Jul 2, 2016 at 9:46 AM Post #5,802 of 9,041
I forgot to mention the best headphones combination i have ever tried with the Tera Player is Pioneer SE Master1 open dynamic headphone,500+ hours burned in.
The sound was very impressive,natural,great detailed instruments atack and easy to find placement,the whole sound range with a huge soundstage and that classical music put you straight in the centre of the concert.
Keep in mind that this was all a natural flavour without further amping.
And the Tera Player has a small 700 mHa battery inside good for 15 hours playback time.
Happy days to come:headphones:

Jul 2, 2016 at 10:16 AM Post #5,803 of 9,041
mmm.....maybe our criteria for world's best DAP are different. But the cu amp was specifically created for the cu and none other and considering the huge price difference between the cu + cu amp vs. the Tera Player, Light Edition (which I am guessing is the best Tera player ever created considering the huge price hike over the previous-gen Tera), I think it is only fair to compare the best of Altman Tera Machines vs. the best of Astell & Kern using what is widely considered as some of the world's best headphones and in-ears.

Shoot-out! lol! Can't wait. I'm genuinely interested and I am not putting you on the spot.

Jul 2, 2016 at 10:44 AM Post #5,805 of 9,041
To my ears if we are talking pure daps and sound quality only without combos it goes: Tera Player > QP1R > Cayin N5 > AK380 > AK300 > Onkyo DP-X1

mmm....okay, thanks. I'll look for the Cayin N5 on my next trip to HK and audition it and compare it with the AK 380 cu and 380. I have the Cayin N6 (acquired 2014) and it does not even come close to the SQ of the 380 (when I had it briefly for a week) and the 380 cu. The QP1R is also on my wish list (since it was launched) but difficult to audition and procure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back