Astell&Kern AK380
Jul 2, 2016 at 11:11 AM Post #5,806 of 9,041
Raypin, would love to hear your thoughts. I had seriously considered the QP1R and extensively auditioned it at AV One in Singapore but didn't think the SQ was worth the grief with the dysfunctional scroll wheel. It is a good solid DAP, I thought, but not a world beater.

Whilst I own and love my Tera Player, I would simply suggest you have a read in the Tera Player thread and read in particular the views of previous owners who had moved on to the AK240, for example.

At the end of the day, let's not forget that another factor that's crucial is the IEM that you use with the DAP. Call it what you may: transparency, etc but the IEM has a key role to play as well. :)

Jul 2, 2016 at 11:36 AM Post #5,807 of 9,041
mmm...... yeah, thanks for the tip. .Both Tera and QP1R are on my wish list as listed in my community profile. I actually love playing  (and owing) a wide variety of DAPs regardless of price or brand (for as long as it is from a reputable company), so I don't consider myself as ,  what's that "favorite word" that I picked up from the Focal thread, a shill for Astell & Kern. I just have a thing for DAPs. The last DAP I auditioned was the Acoustics Research M20. Sorry but it is not for me. I did not like it at all. I auditioned it with my  Ether C and I was disappointed. The more powerful M2 was no longer available at the dealer. 

Jul 2, 2016 at 11:39 AM Post #5,808 of 9,041
mmm.....maybe our criteria for world's best DAP are different. But the cu amp was specifically created for the cu and none other and considering the huge price difference between the cu + cu amp vs. the Tera Player, Light Edition (which I am guessing is the best Tera player ever created considering the huge price hike over the previous-gen Tera), I think it is only fair to compare the best of Altman Tera Machines vs. the best of Astell & Kern using what is widely considered as some of the world's best headphones and in-ears.

Shoot-out! lol! Can't wait. I'm genuinely interested and I am not putting you on the spot.

Are you going to be in London this summer for the CanJam?
Just for your information there is no such, best sounding Tera Player Light Edition out of the other Tera Player Editions.
The Tera Player is the same since 2011 however from 2014 new algorithm been added for better cards handling and a better random playback and the improved RAM indeed makes a massive difference.
But I've met once with a Tera Player Standard Edition owner and he could swear mine which is the Stealth Edition fully upgraded sounded better.
If you will be there i will let you do a proper listening and hear for yourself.

Jul 2, 2016 at 11:41 AM Post #5,809 of 9,041
Are you going to be in London this summer for the CanJam?
Just for your information there is no such, best sounding Tera Player Light Edition out of the other Tera Player Editions.
The Tera Player is the same since 2011 however from 2014 new algorithm been added for better cards handling and a better random playback and the improved RAM indeed makes a massive difference.
But I've met once with a Tera Player Standard Edition owner and he could swear mine which is the Stealth Edition fully upgraded sounded better.
If you will be there i will let you do a proper listening and hear for yourself.

mmm....too far and too busy. Can't be there.

Jul 3, 2016 at 11:33 PM Post #5,814 of 9,041
Really hard to beleive but I've never heard the copper version. Internals are the same as non copper but if changing the case makes that big of a difference then i really need to demo it

I didn't believe what I heard too. I agree with you that the stock AK380 is a upper-middle class player at best, but the Cu is simply in another league. 

Jul 4, 2016 at 12:57 AM Post #5,815 of 9,041
I didn't believe what I heard too. I agree with you that the stock AK380 is a upper-middle class player at best, but the Cu is simply in another league. 

Lucky for me I am moving on to a full sized system for my LCD-4 which beats any portable setup, daps and rubber banding is cool and all but even the 380(cu) is nothing compared to a high end amp/dac combo

Jul 4, 2016 at 1:26 AM Post #5,816 of 9,041
Lucky for me I am moving on to a full sized system for my LCD-4 which beats any portable setup, daps and rubber banding is cool and all but even the 380(cu) is nothing compared to a high end amp/dac combo

Thanks, but I already have the Esoteric K-01/BHSE/SR009 combo and also Liquid Fire/ HE1000. Even with good headphone you need a good source, not necessarily spending US$20,000 on a CD player like I did, but I expect nothing less than something at least mid tier like the Antelope Zodiac Gold or the Weiss DACs (not Schitt please).  

However, I totally agree that one should try to upgrade desktop rig first, before spending $4,000 on portable gear year after year, which, unfortunately, is vastly inferior to a good desktop rig in all aspects, both in sound quality and in price (I talk about the latter only because some people seem to like to brag about their ridiculous portable rigs like AK380 into a Hugo and stuff like that, the price of which seems high in the portable field but just a joke in the desktop world). Once you heard better and is still thrilled about spending $4000 on a DAP, by all means do so (just like I did) - but it is hilarious to see some would consider themselves king of the world because they own the most expensive DAP. LOL. Once you have heard some good desktop setup or speakers, you get a different perspective, and at some point you would start to realise that the marketing strategies that some companies pull out are just a disgrace to the industry. 

Jul 4, 2016 at 1:34 AM Post #5,817 of 9,041

Thanks, but I already have the Esoteric K-01/BHSE/SR009 combo and also Liquid Fire/ HE1000. Even with good headphone you need a good source, not necessarily spending US$20,000 on a CD player like I did, but I expect nothing less than something at least mid tier like the Antelope Zodiac Gold of the Weiss DACs (not Schitt please).  

However, I totally agree that one should try to upgrade desktop rig first, before spending $4,000 on portable gear year after year, which, unfortunately, is vastly inferior to a good desktop rig in all aspects, both in sound quality and in price (I talk about the later only because some people seem to like to brag about their ridiculous portable rigs like AK380 into a Hugo and stuff like that, the price of which seems high in the portable field but just a joke in the desktop world). Once you heard better and is still thrilled about spending $4000 on a DAP, by all means do so like I did - but it is hilarious to see some would consider themselves king of the world because they own the most expensive DAP. LOL.

Funny, but after having been into High End for nearly 30 years and spending at least 60.000 Dollars for gear, I nowadays find myself very much satisfied with my X7 + Monks. Big lesson: Don´t listen to what others think is best, but trust your ears.

Jul 4, 2016 at 1:36 AM Post #5,818 of 9,041

Funny, but after having been into High End for nearly 30 years and spending at least 60.000 Dollars for gear, I nowadays find myself very much satisfied with my X7 + Monks. Big lesson: Don´t listen to what others think is best, but trust your ears.

That's the spirit. I now use my C5 + SZ2000 more than anything else 
biggrin.gif

Jul 4, 2016 at 1:53 AM Post #5,820 of 9,041

Thanks, but I already have the Esoteric K-01/BHSE/SR009 combo and also Liquid Fire/ HE1000. Even with good headphone you need a good source, not necessarily spending US$20,000 on a CD player like I did, but I expect nothing less than something at least mid tier like the Antelope Zodiac Gold or the Weiss DACs (not Schitt please).  

However, I totally agree that one should try to upgrade desktop rig first, before spending $4,000 on portable gear year after year, which, unfortunately, is vastly inferior to a good desktop rig in all aspects, both in sound quality and in price (I talk about the latter only because some people seem to like to brag about their ridiculous portable rigs like AK380 into a Hugo and stuff like that, the price of which seems high in the portable field but just a joke in the desktop world). Once you heard better and is still thrilled about spending $4000 on a DAP, by all means do so (just like I did) - but it is hilarious to see some would consider themselves king of the world because they own the most expensive DAP. LOL. Once you have heard some good desktop setup or speakers, you get a different perspective, and at some point you would start to realise that the marketing strategies that some companies pull out are just a disgrace to the industry. 

I agree

Users who are viewing this thread

Back