Astell&Kern AK380
May 5, 2016 at 8:17 AM Post #5,101 of 9,041
Can i ask in meetings like canjam when you get to meet AK, do you guys share with them that you would like to see a more powerful amp for the ak380. And whats their opinion on your remark, assuming you tell them your thoughts about the amp
For those who feel the AK380 amp isn't powerful enough, are you on high gain? Personally lunch for me testing at the shops high gain seems to drive the likes of HD800S & HE1K plenty and I'm not even coming anywhere close to maxing the volume.

So I'm kinda curious what gain are you using & what headphone are you driving?

May 5, 2016 at 8:59 AM Post #5,102 of 9,041
For those who feel the AK380 amp isn't powerful enough, are you on high gain? Personally lunch for me testing at the shops high gain seems to drive the likes of HD800S & HE1K plenty and I'm not even coming anywhere close to maxing the volume.

hi, i tried it with my audeze lcd2 and oppo pm1 mainly

sold my lcd2 immediately as I realized the amp in ak380 was not there for me in giving me a full bodied sound 

with oppo pm1 it was ok

now I do not know if you tried adding an amp to your ak380, an amp like alo mk3 B to see what I mean by driving a headphone with authority

I guess I am not the only one who thinks the amp in ak380 is a bit weak with demanding headphones even on high gain, unless now I am mistaken

May 5, 2016 at 9:44 AM Post #5,103 of 9,041

The other point regarding the amp output is that the balanced output has a lot more power then the SE output. 
If you are only using SE output even on high gain then it may not seem powerful enough.

Specs are as follows:
Low Gain
Unbalance 2.1 Vrms / Balance 2.1 Vrms (Condition No Load)

High Gain
Unbalance 4.1 Vrms / Balance 8.1 Vrms (Condition No Load)

May 5, 2016 at 10:19 AM Post #5,104 of 9,041
  hi, i tried it with my audeze lcd2 and oppo pm1 mainly

sold my lcd2 immediately as I realized the amp in ak380 was not there for me in giving me a full bodied sound 

with oppo pm1 it was ok

now I do not know if you tried adding an amp to your ak380, an amp like alo mk3 B to see what I mean by driving a headphone with authority

I guess I am not the only one who thinks the amp in ak380 is a bit weak with demanding headphones even on high gain, unless now I am mistaken

OK good, so now at least we have some context. You're comparing the AK380 amp with the ALO Mk3B and the headphones in scope is the LCD2. That's fair enough. I would think that there's probably a selection of portable amps that can and a selection that can't drive the LCD2 - and by drive, I mean just raw power drive, but not necessarily drive well. To me, with most of the Audeze LCD range, they would probably benefit from a desktop level amp to drive them to their full potential.

Anyhow, I don't think that makes the AK380 amp a poor amp just because it can't drive the LCD2 - that is a rather demanding headphone. Similarly with some of the earlier Hifiman headphones. However the AK380 amp drives plenty of other headphones and do so reasonably well. I didn't have any issues with the AK380 amp driving the HE1k, HD800S, HD800, and Ethers (although I didn't really try listening to the Ethers for more than just a few minutes). I actually intend for the AK380Cu/Amp to drive the HD800S once I work out how to get 2.5mm TRRS balanced HD800S cables (no Paypal for me, so that's where the challenge is), as I have tried it in the shops already and am satisfied with it. Hopefully I'll get my AK380 Cu Amp from FedEx tomorrow or Monday.

May 5, 2016 at 10:23 AM Post #5,105 of 9,041

OK good, so now at least we have some context. You're comparing the AK380 amp with the ALO Mk3B and the headphones in scope is the LCD2. That's fair enough. I would think that there's probably a selection of portable amps that can and a selection that can't drive the LCD2 - and by drive, I mean just raw power drive, but not necessarily drive well. To me, with most of the Audeze LCD range, they would probably benefit from a desktop level amp to drive them to their full potential.

Anyhow, I don't think that makes the AK380 amp a poor amp just because it can't drive the LCD2 - that is a rather demanding headphone. Similarly with some of the earlier Hifiman headphones. However the AK380 amp drives plenty of other headphones and do so reasonably well. I didn't have any issues with the AK380 amp driving the HE1k, HD800S, HD800, and Ethers (although I didn't really try listening to the Ethers for more than just a few minutes). I actually intend for the AK380Cu/Amp to drive the HD800S once I work out how to get 2.5mm TRRS balanced HD800S cables (no Paypal for me, so that's where the challenge is), as I have tried it in the shops already and am satisfied with it. Hopefully I'll get my AK380 Cu Amp from FedEx tomorrow or Monday.

i am sorry if i did not make it clear earlier in my post

I am really interested in the paring of your ak380 and amp and Hd800s, honestly I was always under the impression that HD800 or the new HD800s are not easy to drive, so I will look into those 2 cans more and read more about those running them balanced with ak380 and amp

May 5, 2016 at 11:53 AM Post #5,106 of 9,041
mmmm.......for me - pass: my hek , ether, ether c, Oppo PM1 and PMx2, Audeze EL8 plus all of my in-ears including the Zeus XIV on the 380 cu/cu amp. Fail: Beyerdynamic T1.2.  On the fence: HD 800 and HD 800 S. I have not tried my Audeze LCD X and 3F on the 380 cu/cu amp yet. Too lazy.

May 5, 2016 at 1:13 PM Post #5,107 of 9,041
The Phil Collins 24-96 remasters sounds sublime on the Cu stack.....highly recommended!!!

ksc75smile.gif

May 5, 2016 at 6:37 PM Post #5,108 of 9,041
I still love my AK380 +AK AMP with my Oppo PM-1 & Silver Dragon V3 Cable from moon audio. I have it set on high gain. And gives me enough power to were I never have to turn it up all the way! That being said I would never get rid of my AK combo for the CU combo. For me I would get tired of polishing it. Plus the AK380 + AK AMP is still the best DAP as well. Not taking away from people talking bout the Copper Version. But that's all I here about. Were did everyone go that has the Regular AK380 + AK AMP?
Mike

May 5, 2016 at 6:46 PM Post #5,109 of 9,041
  mmmm.......for me - pass: my hek , ether, ether c, Oppo PM1 and PMx2, Audeze EL8 plus all of my in-ears including the Zeus XIV on the 380 cu/cu amp. Fail: Beyerdynamic T1.2.  On the fence: HD 800 and HD 800 S. I have not tried my Audeze LCD X and 3F on the 380 cu/cu amp yet. Too lazy.

Care to expand the bolded? Genuine question as I don't have much experience of the HD800S (despite owning one :p) except on the AK380, Zana Deux, and Aurender Flow. Of course the desktop amp is no match but just wondering what your baseline was with regards to portables driving the HD800S and where the AK380 amp lies in the range you've tried.

May 5, 2016 at 7:07 PM Post #5,110 of 9,041
Care to expand the bolded? Genuine question as I don't have much experience of the HD800S (despite owning one :p) except on the AK380, Zana Deux, and Aurender Flow. Of course the desktop amp is no match but just wondering what your baseline was with regards to portables driving the HD800S and where the AK380 amp lies in the range you've tried.

I would be interested in this too. I have the AK380cu and mainly run it through a set of JH16s. I also use it for dsd files at home through a Cavalli Liquid Au and HD800s. Curious to hear how HD800S sound w/ AK amp.

May 5, 2016 at 7:12 PM Post #5,111 of 9,041
I still love my AK80 +AK AMP with my Oppo PM-1 & Silver Dragon V3 Cable from moon audio. I have it set on high gain. And gives me enough power to were I never have to turn it up all the way! That being said I would never get rid of my AK combo for the CU combo. For me I would get tired of polishing it. Plus the AK380 + AK AMP is still the best DAP as well. Not taking away from people talking bout the Copper Version. But that's all I here about. Were did everyone go that has the Regular AK380 + AK AMP?
Mike

Fatigued by all the cu is the best comment.

To anakchan -- ak380+amp with hd800s for me with v1.23 & 1.24 sounds ok. With prior fw versions, it was too bland on the mids and bright on the top end. I thought i had to sell all my hp with 1.1x except for the u12. Do calling out i'm in the range of 130-148 volume levels on the 380 w/amp on the hd800s.

On providing impressions, can we start including fw? Because i think it plays a lot no matter how unbelievable it may sound.

For those that are good in eq'ing anyone tried to do a side by side ak380 and ak380cu and create an eq for the 380 to sound like the cu? I think its an eq'ing or the dsp thing thats the diff b/w the 380 and 380cu.

May 5, 2016 at 7:59 PM Post #5,112 of 9,041
I stayed on firmware 1.23 with mines. Deeper bass and 3D like Sound stage. Volume level between 130 to 140 on high gain with my Oppo PM-1. My AK380 + AK AMP still gives me chills. Favorite album in DSD/5.6MHz is Cat Stevens tea For the tillerman. & James Bay in 24bit/96kHz.

May 5, 2016 at 8:01 PM Post #5,113 of 9,041
Do you guys hear a big difference on high res recordings with the AK380? I never heard much of a difference on the AK240. I have to check more with my Fiio X7, but to my ears, the separation sounds improved on high res, ever so slightly with the X7. Could be me though, maybe I want to hear the difference.

Right now I'm listening to van Halen, mp3 320kb and it sounds pretty bad.

May 5, 2016 at 10:47 PM Post #5,114 of 9,041

Mmm,...it goes back to the general consensus that the HD 800 and HD 800 S are best heard through a tube-based amplifier. With the cu amp, it just sounded flat, lifeless and unengaging to me (with the S slightly better). Both units tried with the single-ended cable. My best tube-based amp is the entry-level Woo Audio WA7 (with the stock tubes) and both sounded better than using it with the cu amp. The same problem with the Beyerdynamic T1.2 on the cu amp. It just sounds ordinary to my ears. That's why I await the arrival of my WA8, touted by some to be a very good match with the 800 S. Or is it???? With the Aurender Flow (a favorite of mine), the 800 S sounded too clean, too digital but still enormously enjoyable. Another very good pairing, per my preference, is with the CEntrance  Hifim8. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back