Astell&Kern AK380
May 4, 2016 at 5:40 AM Post #5,071 of 9,041
  Not sure AK has the best amp, with or without the amp module... However the DAC part is second to none when it comes to the 380Cu. 

So do you think other daps would benefit me more for the type of music I am listening to ( electronic ).

I was thinking about fiiio x7 and its amp modules.

My goal is also to have a dap that can drive headphones as well, as soon I will be buying a good headphone for the type of music I like

Cheers

May 4, 2016 at 5:45 AM Post #5,072 of 9,041
  So do you think other daps would benefit me more for the type of music I am listening to ( electronic ).

I was thinking about fiiio x7 and its amp modules.

My goal is also to have a dap that can drive headphones as well, as soon I will be buying a good headphone for the type of music I like

Cheers

-AK380Cu + Cu Amp
-Paw Gold
-Hugo/Mojo (not DAPs, but still..)

May 4, 2016 at 5:51 AM Post #5,073 of 9,041
Its not that, I read nice reviews about jhaudio angie's but all I can say is I am not feeling the enjoyment of what i am hearing maybe due to my player. I thought I would have this amazing experience by buying what I have but I feel the sound lacks in dynamics and the bass is a bit flat

I listen to alot of electronic music

I think I need another iem or dap or both even

I am reading about AK players all over the net but I never heard one, so I thought why not ask here in the flagship forum of AK players

Cheers

I think the angie just might not be for you. What do you think is lacking?

May 4, 2016 at 8:29 AM Post #5,074 of 9,041
For those who have done the RWA mod, is there an increase in the power output for the amp section? Or is it just an improve sound quality because they replace better capacitors? I want to know if it will drive a phone easier after the mod strictly in terms of power.

Sorry for the delay in responding to this saw the posting while away and intended to reply. 
Took me some time to find the questions about RWAK380 since they are lost in all the "cu best of the best" comments that seems to have plagued this thread.

There are a few aspects to the mods Vinnie does, the AK380 has the additional capacitance + class A biassing on the headphone output stage.
One point on this mod is that the internal connection to the headphone output ports of the unit uses a cheap ribbon cable that is too difficult to replace with better quality cable. 
The balanced output pins at the bottom of the AK380 (contact points for amp or cradle) are also originally connected by a ribbon cable but Vinnie in this case managed to remove and change this internal connection to Cardas Golden Section Litz copper wiring.

The RWAK380AMP also has additional capacitance added to the unit and once again ribbon cables are used inside the unit for the input connection and also to the headphone outputs. 
Vinnie changes these cheap ribbon cables out for Cardas Golden Litz copper cable as well.

Essentially the cleanest output avoiding the cheap ribbon cables that are standard in the units is to run a RWAK380+RWAK380AMP combination.

The power levels are the same from the units but the mods mean that the sound is cleaner at all volume levels.

Personally I have the RWAK380+RWAK380AMP combo.
I use the amp to feed IEMs (still waiting to get my new ones after selling the Noble K10U 
blink.gif
) since it does not pass the output through the cheap ribbon cables.
I am also using the cradle to provide a balanced source so I also take advantage of the internal cable mod on the balanced output pins from the RWAK380 in that scenario. 

May 4, 2016 at 8:35 AM Post #5,075 of 9,041
Its not that, I read nice reviews about jhaudio angie's but all I can say is I am not feeling the enjoyment of what i am hearing maybe due to my player. I thought I would have this amazing experience by buying what I have but I feel the sound lacks in dynamics and the bass is a bit flat

I listen to alot of electronic music

I think I need another iem or dap or both even

I am reading about AK players all over the net but I never heard one, so I thought why not ask here in the flagship forum of AK players

Cheers

If you got enough volume, you got enough power. Another music player will do nothing, eqing will certainly help though!

May 4, 2016 at 8:50 AM Post #5,076 of 9,041
@Mr-Nice: If budget is an issue, then take a hard look at the Onkyo DP-X1, VentureCraft Valoq, or the new AK300.  If you want to keep your DAP, then take a look at the Noble Audio series as they generally respond better to power.

May 4, 2016 at 1:45 PM Post #5,077 of 9,041
Mr. Gavin, ups guy just delivered this about 10 minutes ago. did i get cheated or just simply bought it from the wrong online store? originally bought from ww.dignisdesign.com UPS shipped & received in 5 days

i really wanted a black ak380 amp case along with that nice diginis micro sd case.
this ak380 amp case is for sale if anyone is interested. pm if interested....
frown.gif

May 4, 2016 at 3:17 PM Post #5,078 of 9,041
Did anyone tried the Dignis ak380+Amp on a Ak320+Amp?

The shape of the Ak320 and 380 with the amp is similar but i dont know if the ak320+Amp will fit in the case, it case it does, it will solve the change of colour pattern between the two....

Thanks

May 4, 2016 at 5:23 PM Post #5,079 of 9,041
@Apina, thank for your thoughts on the RWA mod. What did you replace your K10u with? The capacitance issue was one of the mod for the 240 also and surely AK is aware of that issue. I am disappointed in AK that they did not improve that area in their next release in the 380/380cu line and leaving their precious customers spending another 1k to do what they should have done to improve on an otherwise very beautiful product. It just goes to show how much they want to make a perfect product and to meet customers satisfaction.

According to the reviews in Inearspace on the 240 and 380, the reviewer really like the tighter, faster, and cleaner sound signature of the 240 but the 380 is better in sound stage, warmer sound signature if one prefers. Are the changes before and after the mod very much noticeable according to the descriptions of RWA? Or does it requires thoughtful observation to notice them?

I do like the 380 especially the cu version very much. In fact when I audition the 380cu and amp, I am much more impressed by the 380cu/Hugo combo than the 380cu/amp combo by a long shot. I don't think the amp section add too much to the power output specially when one uses mainly iems for listening and in balance mode. What do you think?

May 4, 2016 at 5:39 PM Post #5,080 of 9,041
 I am much more impressed by the 380cu/Hugo combo than the 380cu/amp combo by a long shot. I don't think the amp section add too much to the power output specially when one uses mainly iems for listening and in balance mode. What do you think?

funny you should say this jalo becuase my AK380cu amp should show up by weekend or early next week. will compare my current combo of  ak380cu & chord hugo combo against my new ak380cu amp & ak380cu. my cans are AP, TH900 & ATH M50X. not into ciem or iems. 

May 4, 2016 at 5:43 PM Post #5,081 of 9,041
funny you should say this jalo becuase my AK380cu amp should show up by weekend or early next week. will compare my current combo of  ak380cu & chord hugo combo against my new ak380cu amp & ak380cu. my cans are AP, TH900 & ATH M50X. not into ciem or iems. 

We are looking forward reading your finding...

May 4, 2016 at 6:53 PM Post #5,082 of 9,041
  Mr. Gavin, ups guy just delivered this about 10 minutes ago. did i get cheated or just simply bought it from the wrong online store? originally bought from ww.dignisdesign.com UPS shipped & received in 5 days

i really wanted a black ak380 amp case along with that nice diginis micro sd case.
this ak380 amp case is for sale if anyone is interested. pm if interested....
frown.gif

I had actually had my case pre ordered from a physical shop, e-earphones in Tokyo. Therefore, it may just be a Japanese thing that they included the SD card holder...

The case is lovely in Red, definitely my preference and sold out in e-earphones.......hope you have luck selling it!

May 4, 2016 at 6:55 PM Post #5,083 of 9,041
Anyone have input on to how fast the AK380 indexes it's storage?

My existing AK120 (the original one) takes about 25 minutes to index ~10,000 tracks using about 440 GB of space.

Since it's apparent that none of the dual-slot DAPs currently available are really up to that task (or, in the case of the Onkyo DPX1 it is - but it has other issues that render it not very useful to me), I'm finding myself wondering about just biting the bullet and dealing with using multiple cards (which opens up the AK380 as an option again) ... but I'm not willing to use folder-browsing mode.

So ... while I'm familiar with the sound quality and operation of the AK380 (and 320), I've never run a full index on a large library with it.  That's going to be the killer issue for using multiple cards.

What are people find in terms of performance here?

May 4, 2016 at 7:31 PM Post #5,084 of 9,041
wow mr. Torq, what a huge music library you have(10,000 songs/440gb). but 25 minutes to scan all that is quite long for me. my ak380 scan my 200gb sandisk in under 2 minutes easily(no so many songs i have). hey mr Torq, i e-mailed you concerning the dignis case for sale but i am gonna have to hold off on that sale because it seems as if i bought the very last one. dignisdesign website shows out of stock on all colors. i asked dignis if they are gonna be making another batch and they responded with a NO!  

May 4, 2016 at 7:38 PM Post #5,085 of 9,041
  wow mr. Torq, what a huge music library you have(10,000 songs/440gb). but 25 minutes to scan all that is quite long for me. my ak380 scan my 200gb sandisk in under 2 minutes easily(no so many songs i have). hey mr Torq, i e-mailed you concerning the dignis case for sale but i am gonna have to hold off on that sale because it seems as if i bought the very last one. dignisdesign website shows out of stock on all colors. i asked dignis if they are gonna be making another batch and they responded with a NO!  

Oh, that's really not that big ... it's just my "travel" library (besides the AK120 stops indexing at 10,000 tracks) - i.e. the stuff I want to make sure I have available when I am not at home and cannot access a network connection to allow streaming.

Since the number of songs is the principal determinant in how long the library scan takes, it would be useful to know how many files you have on your card so I can see what that looks like when extrapolated out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back