Astell&Kern AK380
Nov 14, 2015 at 3:59 AM Post #2,491 of 9,041
  The AKM4490 DAC is capable of 11.2MHz DSD ntively so I doubt that they are downsampling

Just FYI a capable DAC doesn't mean the DAP will be able to play natively. I'm sure in the case of the AK380 it would have been done properly but in cases like the iBasso DX100, although the ES9018 is DSD capable, surrounding h/w clocking didn't "tap" into the DSD capabilities of the DAC.

Nov 14, 2015 at 5:16 AM Post #2,493 of 9,041
  I have this nice case - but not much use with the AMP now.

Do you know if there is a nice similar case for the AK380 with AMP ?

Not as sleek but something like this?

http://blog.livedoor.jp/vannuys/archives/52025916.html

Nov 14, 2015 at 6:04 AM Post #2,496 of 9,041
Nov 14, 2015 at 8:36 AM Post #2,497 of 9,041
I guess the 380amp will easily be overheated if put into a leather case like the above one
confused_face.gif

Nov 14, 2015 at 9:23 AM Post #2,498 of 9,041
RWAK380 + AMP, I found with amp JH Layla, high is more detailed, brighter and extended.  richer, focused, Bass snappier, and overall more engaging, making you want to tap your toe. AWESOME!!!

Nov 14, 2015 at 7:12 PM Post #2,501 of 9,041
one can buy a used ak100 and pair it with a chord mojo for a fraction of the cost of the 380 with amp and my money is on the sound quality from the 100/mojo combo....i have the 120 and the 240 and my 120 with the mojo or hugo for that matter is better than the 240 plus enables me to drive my hard to drive cans.....i for one cannot conceive of paying north of 4K for the 380 with amp when i can pair the 100 with the mojo for less than 1k....but then that it just me i suppose

Nov 14, 2015 at 8:17 PM Post #2,502 of 9,041
Probably means the AK380 amp is better than the modified amp?

Quote from Red Wine Audio, Vinne email. So basically, AK380 AMP sound also affected by the MOD, therefore doesn't bypass the MOD.
"
I tested the 4-pin line out before and after the mod.  Since I don't have an AK380 AMP, I had to hard wire internally to it and terminated the wires with a 2.5mm TRRS male plug for my ALO CDM (and Kobiconn 4-pin for my SR-71B), and yes, the sonic improvements did transfer to the line-out as well.

We class-A JFET bias the opamps in the dacs' analog output stages, and that passes to the line out as well.  And
the added capacitance to the battery and the analog output voltage rails improves the line out signal as well as both headphone
output signals.

But I would say that the mods are even more noticeable with the headphone outputs.  And if you using the line-out to the AK380 AMP,"

Nov 15, 2015 at 8:38 AM Post #2,503 of 9,041
Jlinjo,

Congratulation's on the modification!  I have a few questions I hope you can answer:

• What do you think of the modification sound quality wise?  Whats changed?
  • Are some sound changes very apparent to you and some less subtle?  Could you please describe them? 
  • I know the version of firmware will not make a difference with respect to the modification.  But I'm still running 1.1 and just wondering what version of firmware your running?
  •  Did you send Vinnie both the AK 380 and the Amp when you did your modification?     Sincerely -Speed

Nov 15, 2015 at 8:51 AM Post #2,504 of 9,041
  Jlinjo,

Congratulation's on the modification!  I have a few questions I hope you can answer:

• Are some sound changes very apparent to you and some less subtle?  Could you please describe them? 
  • I know the version of firmware will not make a difference with respect to the modification.  But I'm still running 1.1 and just wondering what version of firmware your running?
  •  Did you send Vinnie both the AK 380 and the Amp when you did your modification?     Sincerely -Speed

Hi Jlinjo,

Sorry I noticed the picture and didn't see your comments regarding the improvements in sound quality.  That's really amazing!!!.  The external amp alone is real a step up sound quality wise and then with the mod it improves even more.  WOW !!!  I'm ready for the mod.  If I don't have to carry that Hugo around I'm going to be real happy..  I just hope AK will release the integrated AK380+External Amp case really soon.

Sincerely,
-Speed

Nov 15, 2015 at 8:57 AM Post #2,505 of 9,041
  Jlinjo,

Hi Speed,
1. Sound Quality wise I can't be happier, It's the typical Red Wine Audio House Sound. High Extended, midrange seductive, tighter bass. I love the RWAK House Sound, until I upgraded all into RWAK240, RWAK240SS, and RWAK380.
2. Sound is a very subjective thing more like wine, in my case, I hear the sound quality difference to be very apparent. 3 things which are very apparent: Extended High, Seductive midrange, and Tighter bass. 
with AK380AMP, you simply get a wake up call, it's alive and powerful: Richer detailed sound, better control, and the bass not only tighter but weight slam.
3. I'm using 1.17 firmware
4. I only sent Vinnie the AK380 to become RWAK380.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back