Astell&Kern AK380
Nov 12, 2015 at 4:10 AM Post #2,476 of 9,041

Thanks for the information. It's available here:

I think my unreleased 1.15 is preventing me from upgrading. Will talk to iRiver in Japan. They're pretty responsive folks. Do let e know if 1.17 solves the DSD128/256 "next track volume" issue.

Nov 12, 2015 at 4:33 AM Post #2,477 of 9,041

I think my unreleased 1.15 is preventing me from upgrading. Will talk to iRiver in Japan. They're pretty responsive folks. Do let e know if 1.17 solves the DSD128/256 "next track volume" issue.

Seems resolved. I don't have DSD256 file to test but it plays fine for DSD128, tried both skipping to next track/back to beginning of track/back to previous track.

I was worried about the SQ, however DSD256 and cue sheet support are something too big to pass, so I decided to take the risk and upgraded to 1.17. I'm in office right now so I can't exactly start jamming to my AK380, hence this is just my initial impression after 5min listening: 1.17's SQ is good. If you prefer the SQ of 1.11 like I do, it is safe to upgrade to 1.17. It's similar to 1.11, but with a much more impactful bass.

Nov 12, 2015 at 9:58 PM Post #2,480 of 9,041
I just updated! Haven't gave it a go yet.Can anyone tell me if the SQ improved if possible? Also what's CUE shet file mean?

SQ is best of all versions so far imo.

I will try to give a simple explanation of what cue sheet is. When you rip music files from a CD, you can either rip the tracks into individual files (e.g. Track01.flac, Track2.wav, etc), or you can rip the whole CD into one big music file plus a cue sheet, let's say CD.wav and CD.cue. If you play CD.wav, you will not be able to just skip to a certain track because CD.wav itself is one big single "track"; you will have to manually fast forward or rewind to a certain playing time to locate a track like the old cassette day. Therefore you will be "playing" the cue sheet CD.cue instead, which contains each individual track's beginning and ending time. When you load the cue sheet, it will add all individual tracks inside CD.wav into the playlist (hence the reason why AK380 puts cue sheet under its playlist option). Almost all music players on PC support cue sheet these days, and it's finally time for a high-end DAP like AK380 to support it.

Nov 12, 2015 at 11:47 PM Post #2,481 of 9,041
is there any advantage to the CUE sheet?  I have not used it or until your explanation didnt know much about it (thanks for that).   but I cant see the use.  does it save space or help organize?

Nov 13, 2015 at 3:22 AM Post #2,482 of 9,041
  is there any advantage to the CUE sheet?  I have not used it or until your explanation didnt know much about it (thanks for that).   but I cant see the use.  does it save space or help organize?

Two advantages mainly. One is for burning physical CDs - assuming you don't have the original CD to begin with and you get a hold of such music file plus cue sheet (or with embedded cue sheet), then you can burn a physical CD out of it which is as close to the original CD as you can get. Of course you can also re-create the CD by adding all individual tracks on the list then burn it, but depending on how the tracks were ripped (e.g. whether gaps were removed), the outcoming CD would likely be different from the original CD. That's why those lossless music files with cue sheet are often tagged "EAC", which means Exact Audio Copy. Exact Audio Copy is actually the name of a ripping program and I won't go into either the tag or the program in details because that will be a long story. Simply put, EAC files are usually something rippers go for, because that means they get a hold of a digital copy of the CD in its exact form.

Another advantage is, if you got a playlist of your favorite songs and you want to make it mobile, you can combine those songs into a single file with a cue sheet, then you can transport the combo to another device that supports cue sheet so you don't need to create a playlist there again.

Music file with cue sheet does not save space at all. The size of one big file with 10 tracks is almost exactly the same as 10 individual tracks added together, if applying the same ripping algorithm.

Nov 13, 2015 at 3:29 AM Post #2,483 of 9,041

Two advantages mainly. One is for burning physical CDs - assuming you don't have the original CD to begin with and you get a hold of such music file plus cue sheet (or with embedded cue sheet), then you can burn a physical CD out of it which is as close to the original CD as you can get. Of course you can also re-create the CD by adding all individual tracks on the list then burn it, but depending on how the tracks were ripped (e.g. whether gaps were removed), the outcoming CD would likely be different from the original CD. That's why those lossless music files with cue sheet are often tagged "EAC", which means Exact Audio Copy. Exact Audio Copy is actually the name of a ripping program and I won't go into either the tag or the program in details because that will be a long story. Simply put, EAC files are usually something rippers go for, because that means they get a hold of a digital copy of the CD in its exact form.

Another advantage is, if you got a playlist of your favorite songs and you want to make it mobile, you can combine those songs into a single file with a cue sheet, then you can transport the combo to another device that supports cue sheet so you don't need to create a playlist there again.

Music file with cue sheet does not save space at all. The size of one big file with 10 tracks is almost exactly the same as 10 individual tracks added together, if applying the same ripping algorithm.

Cool.  Thanks my-2000.   I will look into trying this out.

Nov 13, 2015 at 6:16 AM Post #2,484 of 9,041
SQ is best of all versions so far imo.

I will try to give a simple explanation of what cue sheet is. When you rip music files from a CD, you can either rip the tracks into individual files (e.g. Track01.flac, Track2.wav, etc), or you can rip the whole CD into one big music file plus a cue sheet, let's say CD.wav and CD.cue. If you play CD.wav, you will not be able to just skip to a certain track because CD.wav itself is one big single "track"; you will have to manually fast forward or rewind to a certain playing time to locate a track like the old cassette day. Therefore you will be "playing" the cue sheet CD.cue instead, which contains each individual track's beginning and ending time. When you load the cue sheet, it will add all individual tracks inside CD.wav into the playlist (hence the reason why AK380 puts cue sheet under its playlist option). Almost all music players on PC support cue sheet these days, and it's finally time for a high-end DAP like AK380 to support it.
Sounds great! Thanks for that info! It is a great Update!

Nov 13, 2015 at 7:57 AM Post #2,486 of 9,041
I don't hear much SQ different for this update
tongue_smile.gif

Nov 13, 2015 at 11:17 AM Post #2,487 of 9,041
  I don't hear much SQ different for this update
tongue_smile.gif

The SQ difference between 1.17 and 1.14 should be heaven and hell
dt880smile.png

Putting that subjective view aside, how about the hissing problem you were talking about? What I heard in 1.11/1.14 is completely gone now - well, almost completely. I think I'm still hearing it, but it's so subtle now that I feel like I'm imaging it. Anyway this only happens on SE846, on IE800 it's as black as ever.

Nov 13, 2015 at 11:33 AM Post #2,488 of 9,041
Does someone use the Astell-&-Kern AKT5P Headphone (modified Beyerdynamic) with his AK380 ?  balanced or SE ?  Is it really good ? 

Also, does someone use HiFiman HE1000 with his AK380 ? SE or Balanced ? Does the AK380 really has enough power to bring the HE1000 to it's full potentiel ?

thanks

Nov 13, 2015 at 3:11 PM Post #2,489 of 9,041
Does someone use the Astell-&-Kern AKT5P Headphone (modified Beyerdynamic) with his AK380 ?  balanced or SE ?  Is it really good ? 

Also, does someone use HiFiman HE1000 with his AK380 ? SE or Balanced ? Does the AK380 really has enough power to bring the HE1000 to it's full potentiel ?

thanks
On full volume the AK380 almost drives the HE1000 as loud as you would ever want it. So, no, not really. But add the Mojo or Hugo into the mix and it sounds great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back