Aroma Audio A100TB
Jan 18, 2022 at 9:33 AM Post #16 of 216
Nothing unexpected with the LO, in this case, off the balanced 4.4mm port. Worked flawlessly, and as expected the HM1K needed the extra juice to scale up wonderfully. My intention was to amp the HM1K on the go, which makes the size an important point. I considered many amps at an acceptable form factor and didn’t find any balanced option available. The A100TB easily passed the form factor criterion, as you can see below.

HM1K-A100TB.jpeg

The light, compact and versatile HM1K is my travel DAP; I could stream using my iphone/ipod, which also controls the music playback off the SD card. To justify the extra mass of the A100TB was not too difficult -- a credit to the vast SQ improvement. But stacking the PS100 too would be a brick too far for on-the-move listening within reason or sanity. Although, I will likely bring the PS100 along to listen in the hotel room, well, at least on the next trip I will. :wink:

HM1K-A100TB-PS100.jpeg

The Phatlab Chimera is quite similar to the Cayin C9 in almost every way. They are both very good and ladened with many cool features but unfortunately, neither amp fits what I was looking for to pair the HM1K with. Right away, the form factor was out -- it's a complete mismatch and ruins the elegance and portability of the HM1K altogether. Plus I didn't need or want the DAC and the dual timbre option (SS and Tube) was a novelty that I also didn't need so before the listening even begun, it had already lost many points.

When I did finally listen, I was relieved that the synergy just wasn't there. Yes, I heard the extra power but for some reason, the HM1K lost some of that special refinement that R2R DACs were known for and with that, so went the musicality and I did not enjoy it at all. I must admit that my assessment could very possibly have been skewed by the poor physical match, but fact is, it certainly did not impress me enough to overcome any bias I may have harbored.

With the A100TB, the revelation was quite serendipitous. I was so intent on listening to the Jewel that I forgot I even had it amping the HM1K throughout the audition. It was when I unplugged that A100TB at the end, then wanted to listen to another track I missed that I realised how much the HM1K was missing the A100TB! Ok ok, granted that the HM1K was never going to be able to drive the Jewel on its own, but I can say the difference was quite night and day. Additionally, as a bonus, the PS100 added even more enhancement, though incremental, to the experience.

If you didn't already know, both the Chimera and C9 cost more than double that of the A100TB. And even with the PS100 and the Aroma OCC Litz 4.4-to-4.4 interconnect thrown in, the package still cost less. All in all, to say I am very pleased is an understatement. :ksc75smile:
Tnx you a lot for that description! Really helpful

Jan 19, 2022 at 1:48 AM Post #17 of 216
Posted this on the EE thread:

SP2K-A100TB-PS100-EEOD-PWOR.jpeg

Some Odin love with my new toys -- the Aroma Audio A100TB+PS100 -- driving the SP2K. Not that either the Odin or SP2K needed the extra juice, and expectedly, though the net SQ gain was in all honesty only incremental; Trifonov on Chopin Piano Concerto No.2 was a breath airier, noise floor a half shade blacker... a tad tighter control on the bass, specks of micro-details here and there on Melody Gardot's Mira and Wayfaring Stranger (Live), there's no denying the overall refinement -- better instruments and space separation, and most notably polishing off the Odin's rough edges, especially the pushy mids and harsh-ish trebles, makes for less fatiguing and all around more enjoyable listening. Odin on weeds, if you will... I like it. 😎

Apr 21, 2022 at 6:00 AM Post #21 of 216
My trusty ole' M0 just updated its FW to 3.6 - the would be Transport :heart_eyes:
IMG_20220113_114045.jpg

Cannot do this on the M0, only SE, but can make the VO fixed, so it works as a LO as well.
Next, will be queries to my fav. shop re: custom Totem 4.4 balance interconnects.
Have to make a 1 end dummy 4.4 coming from the 3.5 SE
1642061785090.png
Re: Form factor
It's not that huge. I have finally come to terms w/ going back to stack
for the best SQ, in an acceptable portable set. Instead of chasing a dap, that I know, a source and an amp will always be better, regardless of brand of dap.
1642061429364.png
All this, after the Chinese new year.
Hopefully this'll happen sooner than later...

My MO just got sold, still to collect the funds though.
But yeah looks like the ap80 pro is going to become a reality...

Apr 26, 2022 at 4:21 PM Post #24 of 216
Too tall for A100TB

Apr 26, 2022 at 4:32 PM Post #25 of 216
Yeah I’m very tempted by AT100TB, look at power supply 🤩

That looks much better. I can see myself using that product.

FWIW, this is another reason why having the headphone jacks on the bottom of the DAP is far better. You can more easily connect it to an external amp in a usable way.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2022 at 5:25 PM Post #26 of 216
That looks much better. I can see myself using that product.

FWIW, this is another reason why having the headphone jacks on the bottom of the DAP is far better. You can more easily connect it to an external amp in a usable way.
So curious how A100TB pairs with RS6☺️
I’d ask to my friend that has both and aroma line up also🤩

Apr 30, 2022 at 10:52 AM Post #27 of 216
Nothing unexpected with the LO, in this case, off the balanced 4.4mm port. Worked flawlessly, and as expected the HM1K needed the extra juice to scale up wonderfully. My intention was to amp the HM1K on the go, which makes the size an important point. I considered many amps at an acceptable form factor and didn’t find any balanced option available. The A100TB easily passed the form factor criterion, as you can see below.

HM1K-A100TB.jpeg

The light, compact and versatile HM1K is my travel DAP; I could stream using my iphone/ipod, which also controls the music playback off the SD card. To justify the extra mass of the A100TB was not too difficult -- a credit to the vast SQ improvement. But stacking the PS100 too would be a brick too far for on-the-move listening within reason or sanity. Although, I will likely bring the PS100 along to listen in the hotel room, well, at least on the next trip I will. :wink:

HM1K-A100TB-PS100.jpeg

The Phatlab Chimera is quite similar to the Cayin C9 in almost every way. They are both very good and ladened with many cool features but unfortunately, neither amp fits what I was looking for to pair the HM1K with. Right away, the form factor was out -- it's a complete mismatch and ruins the elegance and portability of the HM1K altogether. Plus I didn't need or want the DAC and the dual timbre option (SS and Tube) was a novelty that I also didn't need so before the listening even begun, it had already lost many points.

When I did finally listen, I was relieved that the synergy just wasn't there. Yes, I heard the extra power but for some reason, the HM1K lost some of that special refinement that R2R DACs were known for and with that, so went the musicality and I did not enjoy it at all. I must admit that my assessment could very possibly have been skewed by the poor physical match, but fact is, it certainly did not impress me enough to overcome any bias I may have harbored.

With the A100TB, the revelation was quite serendipitous. I was so intent on listening to the Jewel that I forgot I even had it amping the HM1K throughout the audition. It was when I unplugged that A100TB at the end, then wanted to listen to another track I missed that I realised how much the HM1K was missing the A100TB! Ok ok, granted that the HM1K was never going to be able to drive the Jewel on its own, but I can say the difference was quite night and day. Additionally, as a bonus, the PS100 added even more enhancement, though incremental, to the experience.

If you didn't already know, both the Chimera and C9 cost more than double that of the A100TB. And even with the PS100 and the Aroma OCC Litz 4.4-to-4.4 interconnect thrown in, the package still cost less. All in all, to say I am very pleased is an understatement. :ksc75smile:
Did you by any chance also listen to Mass Kobo 428?

Apr 30, 2022 at 12:46 PM Post #29 of 216
I don't think so. There was a Mass Kobo I briefly tested a while back, I don't remember which. It is very well made and I really liked the brand but for its price, it did not impress me very much though, probably more a mismatch with my gear than anything else.
I've read that Mass Kobo doesn't have a lot of power, but it has a lot of quality. But I was looking for confirmation or the opposite, because it is a brand that very few have. Perhaps it is not very commercialized or it has few retailers. I don't know.

Apr 30, 2022 at 1:59 PM Post #30 of 216
The Mass Kobo is a boutique brand, definitely well made, limited in quantity, hence the great demand and allure. These Japanese artisanal built-to-order products are very attractive for reasons other than doing what they are made to do but better. Reminds me of another brand, the Analog Squared Paper amps, made by an individual, Shikada-san who makes very nice and more innovative amps than the Mass Kobo, IMO. For me, I can't quite justify the cost to performance of these amps though. 🫤

[Edit: I'd like to add that Mass Kobo and Analog Squared Paper make good amps, just not for me,]

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back