Aroma Audio A100TB
Apr 30, 2022 at 3:17 PM Post #31 of 216
The Mass Kobo is a boutique brand, definitely well made, limited in quantity, hence the great demand and allure. These Japanese artisanal built-to-order products are very attractive for reasons other than doing what they are made to do but better. Reminds me of another brand, the Analog Squared Paper amps, made by an individual, Shikada-san who makes very nice and more innovative amps than the Mass Kobo, IMO. For me, I can't quite justify the cost to performance of these amps though. 🫤

[Edit: I'd like to add that Mass Kobo and Analog Squared Paper make good amps, just not for me,]
Now consider exactly the amps that u've mentioned.
1) Phatlab phantasy 2
2) Analog Square paper Tur-06
3) new Romi Audio Bx2-PRO

What about output power for Aroma? Is it only for iems? I'm looking an amp for 1000SE and planar iems.

Apr 30, 2022 at 3:50 PM Post #32 of 216
The Mass Kobo is a boutique brand, definitely well made, limited in quantity, hence the great demand and allure. These Japanese artisanal built-to-order products are very attractive for reasons other than doing what they are made to do but better. Reminds me of another brand, the Analog Squared Paper amps, made by an individual, Shikada-san who makes very nice and more innovative amps than the Mass Kobo, IMO. For me, I can't quite justify the cost to performance of these amps though. 🫤

[Edit: I'd like to add that Mass Kobo and Analog Squared Paper make good amps, just not for me,]
what do you mean when you say "not for me"?

Apr 30, 2022 at 10:28 PM Post #33 of 216
Now consider exactly the amps that u've mentioned.
1) Phatlab phantasy 2
2) Analog Square paper Tur-06
3) new Romi Audio Bx2-PRO

What about output power for Aroma? Is it only for iems? I'm looking an amp for 1000SE and planar iems.
Can't tell you, buddy, whether the Aroma power stack will be suitable for the headphones -- don't listen to them, not tried them too. Though I can say, it's not just about being able to 'make sound comes out' but the quality of sound and whether it is the resultant sound you are looking for matters more. Numbers on the spec sheet is one thing but IMO, pairing is very important -- amp-DAC-transducers. There is no explaining synergy, just have to try and then find it.

I want to say this here. Amping is not for everyone. Some people think it's nuts, many think we should just leave a DAP as it is, buy the best IEM you can afford and start enjoying the music, not worth the trouble to split up the Amp-DAC and add pain to the hobby. But to me, it is not a trouble or painful, it is not just utterly rewarding, but the chase is part of the fun and joy too!

I have not heard the Phantasy, just the Chimera, which I did not find so dissimilar from the C9, nor the A2P TUR-06 though I have considered that in the past -- always wanted a good portable tube amp, have an old Carot One but none really bowled me over me until the Origa SE. And don't know the Romi Audio one.

what do you mean when you say "not for me"?
Well, first, a lot to with the price; I did not find it's all that worth what the Mass Kobo or A2P were asking. Sometimes there are factors beyond function that attract me, in the end, didn't find enough subjective appeal -- mostly the artisan hand-making one amp at a time -- in either of them.

Conversely, I paid around USD1,300 for an Origa (another boutique artisanal brand from HKG), not much more than the Aroma power stack, though no PSU, but no qualms spending an additional USD1,300 to condition the batteries, upgrade the wires, resistors, capacitors and op amp, elevating the performance -- quality, not quantity -- multi-folds. That sort of thing is 'for me', if you can understand.

May 4, 2022 at 2:40 PM Post #34 of 216
Took delivery this morning but just getting a proper listen now.

Super build quality and finish. No heat build so far, seems to run very cool.

Very smooth and intense sound signature. Surprising increase in bass quantity and quality with Elysian X. Comes across warmer as a result which makes up somewhat for not having the Tubes option while using line out on the N8ii.

@efftee thanks for your advice regarding the Burson Op Amps. Swapped them in to confirm they were working but have gone back to the stock for now until I get some hours on it.

971B854A-56C4-42CD-AA82-E95DFA1F8B06.jpeg

May 4, 2022 at 11:39 PM Post #35 of 216

Very smooth and intense sound signature. Surprising increase in bass quantity and quality with Elysian X. Comes across warmer as a result which makes up somewhat for not having the Tubes option while using line out on the N8ii.

@efftee thanks for your advice regarding the Burson Op Amps. Swapped them in to confirm they were working but have gone back to the stock for now until I get some hours on it.

Glad you are liking it, listen to it in good health! 😊

May 5, 2022 at 1:36 AM Post #36 of 216

Nice setup! Where did you purchase the A100TB from?

May 5, 2022 at 2:25 AM Post #37 of 216
May 5, 2022 at 10:34 AM Post #38 of 216

Nice looking Interconnect. Which one is that?

May 5, 2022 at 10:36 AM Post #39 of 216
May 5, 2022 at 11:13 AM Post #41 of 216
May 6, 2022 at 6:47 PM Post #43 of 216
Anyone tried A100TB with RU6?

May 7, 2022 at 2:03 PM Post #45 of 216
Found my favorite combination that works well with minimal hiss across all my iems (including Campfire Equinox).

The opamps in OP2 slot (OPA2132P) for those interested, is available at Mouser. OP1 slot is stock Aroma that comes with the amp.
Did you try burson V5i?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back