Are Grados universally uncomfortable?
Feb 28, 2007 at 7:44 AM Post #16 of 65
Yes, they aren't INCREDIBLY comfortable UNTIL you do THIS!

DSC00863.JPG

Frasey-modded! And all it costed was $15.

Feb 28, 2007 at 8:37 AM Post #17 of 65
OP, if you want Grado, then you're just going to have to try them yourself. Comfort issue is an individual matter as some people have no comfort issues with Grado headphones while other do.

If you buy them from a place like TTVJ.com, you can always return it for a refund. Or, buy a used set and if you don't like it, then sell it for little to no loss.

Don't let the possible comfort issue deter you from trying Grado cans. You simply will not know until you try them for yourself. From all the discussions about comfort issues surrounding Grado headphones, people may think that it is mainly a Grado problem. This is simply not true.

If you're still trepid about Grados, then as already suggested, take a look at Audio Technica A900 or A700 (both closed).

Feb 28, 2007 at 12:40 PM Post #18 of 65
Feb 28, 2007 at 12:58 PM Post #19 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by j-dawg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
$100 for entry level Grados plus $120 = $220 or so before any shipping. Surely there's a comfy phone in that range all by itself, no?

For that price i guess you talk of a Grado sr60 ? then you don't have the bowls pad

I use it since 2 week now and never had any problem with pad (i came from Sony MDR V700
biggrin.gif
)

Can't talk about bowls pads

You won't regret Grado, those can are MAGIC
rs1smile.gif

Feb 28, 2007 at 1:01 PM Post #20 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, they aren't INCREDIBLY comfortable UNTIL you do THIS!

DSC00863.JPG

Frasey-modded! And all it costed was $15.

Frasey-modded!
confused.gif
confused.gif
a link, something.... ?

Feb 28, 2007 at 2:05 PM Post #21 of 65
With their stock pads, they're easily the most uncomfortable headphones I've ever experienced. After an hour or two of listening, my ears feel like I had molten lava earmolds taken. Well, OK, maybe not that bad, but not exactly melt-away-the-stress comfortable, either.
biggrin.gif

Feb 28, 2007 at 2:13 PM Post #22 of 65
the grado's in standard form is about as comfortable as booking a family room for your wedding night, and having the inlaws sleeping in the bunk beds. and don't joke becasue my friend was in a similar postion for his wedding night.

i think that if i didn't gewt rid of my grado's, i probably would have missed out on the ultrasone experience.

Feb 28, 2007 at 2:28 PM Post #23 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by souperman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i myself don't have a problem with my ms-1's. they are very comfortable actually. you can bend the metal headband to loosen it up. my hd580's definitely clamp my head tighter a lot more and i can't listen to my hd580's as long as i can with my ms-1's. but that's just me. others find grado's so harmful that i almost didn't go for the purchase. good thing i didn't listen to those that are weak-eared :p

I'm the exact same way. The MS-1's are way more comfy than the HD580's. Defiantly feeling the head clamp.

kramer5150.....diggin the DT man, easily their best live album.

Feb 28, 2007 at 2:42 PM Post #24 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by j-dawg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bloody hell! $120 just for headphone pads?? Wow. I like the idea of dropping cash for hardware but I don't know if I could pay that much for some earpads. Not flaming you obviously, thanks for the advice. But you weren't kidding when you said "spend some cash!"

$100 for entry level Grados plus $120 = $220 or so before any shipping. Surely there's a comfy phone in that range all by itself, no?

True, but if you get the RS/PS/HP series it'll work with any Grado. So, assuming you like the sound of them, it's not that bad in the long run as upgraditis strikes. That and the beyer headband are the key to Grado comfort for me.

Ant

Feb 28, 2007 at 2:45 PM Post #25 of 65
yeah, they do press the ears a bit. But i think I will get used to them, its nothing i find intolerable ATM. and the sound of the MS-2i is more than worth the slight uncomfort
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 28, 2007 at 3:14 PM Post #26 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by Quint /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With their stock pads, they're easily the most uncomfortable headphones I've ever experienced. After an hour or two of listening, my ears feel like I had molten lava earmolds taken. Well, OK, maybe not that bad, but not exactly melt-away-the-stress comfortable, either.
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by captian73 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the grado's in standard form is about as comfortable as booking a family room for your wedding night, and having the inlaws sleeping in the bunk beds. and don't joke becasue my friend was in a similar postion for his wedding night.

i think that if i didn't gewt rid of my grado's, i probably would have missed out on the ultrasone experience.

You both use bowls pad so ???

Flat pad of sr60 are Great to me
redface.gif

Try a replacment pad for sr60 maybe you'll like it too
rs1smile.gif

Feb 28, 2007 at 7:30 PM Post #28 of 65
I was very irritated by SR-80 comfort for a couple of years but like the sound. Then I saw another head-fi thread that suggested to bend the metal headband backward a bit in order to reduce pressure. Now they don't bother me at all. Except for the tangling cable (Both the 360 degree rotating drivers and the T connection of Left/Right into one near the neck).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back