Are Grados universally uncomfortable?
Feb 28, 2007 at 7:48 PM Post #31 of 65
i have to say that i totally love the grado sound, but yes, they are uncomfortable, i'm going to be working on my own beyer pad mod, i think a few hours in the id shop and will work better than the 120 doller thing, sheesh, what a markup, when i'm done i'll post pics and a illustrator file of the parts as well, so everyone can benefit.

Mar 16, 2007 at 9:35 PM Post #32 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by jrussell6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i have to say that i totally love the grado sound, but yes, they are uncomfortable, i'm going to be working on my own beyer pad mod, i think a few hours in the id shop and will work better than the 120 doller thing, sheesh, what a markup, when i'm done i'll post pics and a illustrator file of the parts as well, so everyone can benefit.

You gotten anywhere yet on this project?

Mar 16, 2007 at 10:42 PM Post #33 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by jrussell6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Out of respect for headphile as a business, I would re-think that last step.

Mar 16, 2007 at 10:43 PM Post #34 of 65
Bend the headband for sure if they clamp to much. I can wear 325i s as long as I want without discomfort. Also be aware if you are going to use them at work they leak alot of sound. (very open headphones)

Mar 16, 2007 at 10:48 PM Post #35 of 65
The only comfort mod i need on my HF-1 is to pad the headband a little (home made version of the Beyer headband mod). I like the bowls stiff over squishy (keeps the driver screens off my ears) and i like the headband with a fair amount of clamp. I seem to be in the minority though
blink.gif

Mar 16, 2007 at 11:24 PM Post #36 of 65
I've been wanting to try the Grado sound for over a year but I always chicken out due to the reported comfort issue. At first I was thinking about trying the 60 but now I figure what the hell, I'll get the 325i since it seems that it's a decent step up without getting beyond my $300 threshold.

Is there any difference in comfort between the 60 ~ 325i series?

Mar 16, 2007 at 11:57 PM Post #39 of 65
The two people who have tried my SR-80's say they are pretty comfortable. When I first bought them they nearly gave me headaches and I could hardly bear wearing them for longer than an hour. Now though.. they feel like an extension of my head, nothing but the feeling of contact to the headband and the slight roughness of the cups and beautiful sound; truly sweet.

Don't worry about the how comfortable Grado's are, you can always get used to them or mod them to your desired comfort level. Besides, the sound makes up for any discomfort one initially experiences.

Mar 17, 2007 at 12:09 AM Post #40 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been wanting to try the Grado sound for over a year but I always chicken out due to the reported comfort issue. At first I was thinking about trying the 60 but now I figure what the hell, I'll get the 325i since it seems that it's a decent step up without getting beyond my $300 threshold.

Is there any difference in comfort between the 60 ~ 325i series?

A difference in comfort? Oh; about 100 gm worth! And the dreaded Bowls on the SR-325i vs the comfies on the SR-60s. Only kidding; the bowls are not as bad as they are sometimes let on to be!

Some folks find the additional heft to be a problem, some don't.

I happen to have the Alessandro MS2i which is of course the Alessandro version of the SR-325i, and the HD600s, and I find very little difference in comfort between the two of them. I can get just about the same amount of time with the MS2i as I can with the HD600, so from a comfort standpoint I find them to be just about the equal.

.....and as I'd mentioned, I did that fourteen hour listening marathon a few months back with the MS2i....they ain't that bad!!

Mar 17, 2007 at 12:11 AM Post #41 of 65
I have tried most of the current Grado line, and the GS1000 are the only one I found to have a decent wearing comfort. The rest of them (iGrado, SR80, SR125, SR325i, RS1) make parts of my ears sore after a shorter listening period (max 1 hour).

Mar 17, 2007 at 12:43 AM Post #42 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by F107plus5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A difference in comfort? Oh; about 100 gm worth! And the dreaded Bowls on the SR-325i vs the comfies on the SR-60s. Only kidding; the bowls are not as bad as they are sometimes let on to be!

Some folks find the additional heft to be a problem, some don't.

I happen to have the Alessandro MS2i which is of course the Alessandro version of the SR-325i, and the HD600s, and I find very little difference in comfort between the two of them. I can get just about the same amount of time with the MS2i as I can with the HD600, so from a comfort standpoint I find them to be just about the equal.

.....and as I'd mentioned, I did that fourteen hour listening marathon a few months back with the MS2i....they ain't that bad!!

Thanks for your thoughts. I know we all have different experiences with cans but if you can compare their comfort to the 600 as you have then I think I'm fairly safe, I guess some think the 600/650 are uncomfortable, to me they feel great. I think I'm ready to bite...I shall report back.

Mar 17, 2007 at 1:03 AM Post #44 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for your thoughts. I know we all have different experiences with cans but if you can compare their comfort to the 600 as you have then I think I'm fairly safe, I guess some think the 600/650 are uncomfortable, to me they feel great. I think I'm ready to bite...I shall report back.

Cool! Just be prepared for a bit of sonic shock!

The MS2i are a lot closer to HD600 than SR-325i are to HD650!!

Yup! there's gonna be quite a bit of difference there I'll bet!! But I'll bet you already knew that!!

Should be fun!!

Mar 17, 2007 at 1:28 AM Post #45 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by F107plus5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cool! Just be prepared for a bit of sonic shock!

The MS2i are a lot closer to HD600 than SR-325i are to HD650!!

Yup! there's gonna be quite a bit of difference there I'll bet!! But I'll bet you already knew that!!

Should be fun!!

Well, I do have the DT-880 which are a bit brighter than the 650. I also use the Aphex 204 processor which can make even the 650 sound bright so I am prepared.
icon10.gif

I also have the KSC75 and they are fairly bright(which I like), how does the Grado brightness compare ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back