Are Grados universally uncomfortable?
Mar 17, 2007 at 2:37 AM Post #47 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I do have the DT-880 which are a bit brighter than the 650. I also use the Aphex 204 processor which can make even the 650 sound bright so I am prepared.
icon10.gif

I also have the KSC75 and they are fairly bright(which I like), how does the Grado brightness compare ?

I have not heard the SR-325i, so I'd only be taking an educated guess, but the KSC75 is about the same brightness as the MS-1/MS2i, and I hear the SR-325i is quite a bit brighter than that, so I'm guessin' that if you can handle something a bit brighter than KSC75, then you should be alright.

I'm surprised that Davesrose hasn't added an opinion; he has both of the cans in question and I'm sure that his inputs could be very helpful!

Mar 17, 2007 at 2:46 AM Post #48 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by F107plus5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have not heard the SR-325i, so I'd only be taking an educated guess, but the KSC75 is about the same brightness as the MS-1/MS2i, and I hear the SR-325i is quite a bit brighter than that, so I'm guessin' that if you can handle something a bit brighter than KSC75, then you should be alright.

I'm surprised that Davesrose hasn't added an opinion; he has both of the cans in question and I'm sure that his inputs could be very helpful!

Thanks, well last I checked Davesrose wasn't logged in but his opinion will be useful.

Mar 17, 2007 at 2:47 AM Post #49 of 65
The SR60's aren't too bad comfort wise, but you can't go wrong with HD555 for comfort/sound/price

Mar 17, 2007 at 2:52 AM Post #50 of 65
I can only wear bowls for about 10 minutes before it feels like I have 40-grit sandpaper rubbing my ears. The flats are a LOT better, (both comfort and sound wise), but if I wear the flats wrong, they can make my ears raw and beat read with searing pain after about 30 minutes. But thats only if I am wearing them wrong. Otherwise I can wear them indefinitely.

Mar 17, 2007 at 3:38 AM Post #52 of 65
Silly play on words perhaps:

Closed office; open cans. Open office; closed cans.

...or something like that.
tongue.gif

Mar 17, 2007 at 3:48 AM Post #53 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by buddha911 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Out of respect for headphile as a business, I would re-think that last step.

I just wanted to say that this is a pretty ridiculous comment. No DIY project should ever be considered "disrespectful" to people who sell something similar, unless it's a direct clone. I personally can't afford the Headphile C-Pads, but if there was a DIY plan for making something similar, I'd love to know how to try it out.

In all areas of high-end audio, there are people willing to sell things that could be easily constructed with the requisite time and skill. Cables, for example. But the fact that people can make their own cables/amps/pads or whatever by following free directions and using cheap parts doesn't decrease the worth of the products companies/people sell—if people have the money and don't want to put in the time making something themselves, they'll buy a pre-made product. Headphile doesn't own the rights to Beyer pads, and I would be extremely grateful for DIY instructions on how to create a Grado/Beyer synthesis.

Also as a final note to whoever's considering buying a SR-325i: they're great phones, but if you find them too bright, try putting electrical/duct tape around the outer circumference of the bowls before shelling out the dough for flat pads, which IMO kill the high notes. You might find that taped bowls are a cheap and better solution to warming up the Grado brightness.

Mar 17, 2007 at 5:45 AM Post #54 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by Larry @ headphile.com
Can I get help building something similar… Sorry, it took too long to figure out details of products to give out information about something I produce or other DIY help. I am not interested in giving DIY tips. I would ask politely that you don't copy or clone my products other than for your own personal use (but don't be posting details anywhere). Clones for sale or directions on how to build something I make will not be acceptable. Please respect this...

This is directly from the site:
http://www.headphile.com/page6.html

Mar 17, 2007 at 5:54 AM Post #55 of 65
If Grados were universally uncomfortable, no one would use them, would they?

I find Grados (the whole lineup) too open to use as Office Cans even though they're my favorite; I'd look elsewhere. My PERSONAL reccomendation would be a pair of KSC75. Great sound, small, don't leak too bad, and they're cheap so who cares if they get stolen?

Mar 17, 2007 at 6:59 AM Post #56 of 65
it's not so much the "clamping" effect that was uncomfortable, it was the earpad material.

Mar 18, 2007 at 6:55 PM Post #57 of 65
I don't have have any comfort problems with my SR60's, or atleast I didn't until I quarter modded them, which actually resulted in something 3 times as big as a quarter. With the comfy-pads i though they were really nice comfort wise.

As for using them at work you might want something that didn't leak as much, which is particulary a problem if you listen at loud volumes.

If you're going for a heavier/bigger set of grados the the SR60/MS1 there's several ways to mod them, most of them available thru the links at the Grado information central thread

Good luck!

Mar 18, 2007 at 6:58 PM Post #58 of 65
I got used to my SR80's, but there's a little bit of problem with headband being a bit too stiff - it might seem quite uncomfortable - too hard and presses against my head

Mar 18, 2007 at 7:12 PM Post #59 of 65
Comfort is highly personal. I've always disliked the "vice grip" affect of my HD-650's but wear my SR-60's hours at a time at work. I've always found them quite comfortable. No amount of posting is going to tell you if you find them comfortable. You just have to bite the bullet and try them.

Mar 18, 2007 at 7:15 PM Post #60 of 65
I love these threads. Half love, half hate. So here's my 2-cents to add to the confusion:

I hate the stock (comfy) pads on my SR-60. My ears get too hot.

I love the bowls on my 325i. I used to think I had average to large ears, but the bowls seem to fit around my ears rather than on top of them. I can wear mine for hours without discomfort. I like them so much, I may get a pair of bowls for my SR-60.

So, as always, it's best to try them for yourself before deciding whether or not a Grado headphone (or any headphone) is right for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back