APureSound upgrade cable for ER4P or upgrade to Shure SE530?
Nov 3, 2008 at 7:41 AM Post #31 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Caution /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would like to hear
your impressions of the SE530s, I had the chance to here Qusps pair (Thanks Qusp!), and I had previously tried the TF.10s and SF.5s and coming from the Etys, I felt that all 3 pairs of iems had something weird with how everything is blended together, They all sort of sounded hollow and soundstage seemed a bit artificial, I can never quite pick out whats exactly wrong with the sound, I guess I need more time with them, but I'm guessing it has to do with the 2/3 drivers being in each iem and something weird going on there.

Do you feel like the sound seems to have an unnatural smoothness to it and different parts of the sound seems to be cobbled together like trying to mix oil in the water? To me that seems to be what the crossover in a multi drivers setup is doing. For the later I guess the term is called "incoherent".
biggrin.gif
And coherence is the strength of a single driver setup.

But may be it's because that you are not used to a large sounstage, smoother sound and better layering.

For me my complaint on the Triple.fi 10 Pro is the ever present sizzly treble that feels "added" instead of the natural airiness of ER-4's treble.

Nov 3, 2008 at 11:40 AM Post #33 of 50
Nov 3, 2008 at 1:29 PM Post #34 of 50
its this stuff otherwise known as flexible piccolo

this is a piccolino blackgate low profile LOD for my DIYMOD with a custom casing and as you can see a 90% finished cable (I still havent put the epoxy casing on the RA mini body because I was so keen to get the caps burining in
biggrin.gif
AFAIK its the only one of its kind; there isn't room for caps in the stock casing but with making my own I can make a low profile capped LOD yay. my rig is now totally portable with this. it even fits in a normal pocket with no problem at all.
crystalcableswblackgate47ufnxhiQ.jpg
CCpiccolinosmall.jpg

really great wire its coaxial so has a really quiet noise floor and sparkle sparkle
smily_headphones1.gif
such awesome detail

Nov 3, 2008 at 1:34 PM Post #35 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Navyblue /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you feel like the sound seems to have an unnatural smoothness to it and different parts of the sound seems to be cobbled together like trying to mix oil in the water? To me that seems to be what the crossover in a multi drivers setup is doing. For the later I guess the term is called "incoherent".
biggrin.gif
And coherence is the strength of a single driver setup.

Ah yes this is probably a good description of what I hear. I'm used to large soundstages, so that can't be it. I just can't stand the unnaturalness I've heard with the multi driver iems.

Nov 3, 2008 at 1:43 PM Post #36 of 50
To the OP, Get SE530's if you want something musical. Stick with your ER4P if you're after something more analytical. Get a P to S cable and a portable headphone amp for your ER4P to get something even more analytical. Get UE triple.fi's if you're a basshead.

Nov 3, 2008 at 1:47 PM Post #37 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZephyrSapphire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To the OP, Get SE530's if you want something musical. Stick with your ER4P if you're after something more analytical. Get a P to S cable and a portable headphone amp for your ER4P to get something even more analytical. Get UE triple.fi's if you're a basshead.

id say the se530 offers louder bass than the triple fi, but bass you cant hear is rolled off bass so i also think the se530 performs better in the low end

Nov 3, 2008 at 1:53 PM Post #38 of 50
Quote:

I would like to hear your impressions of the SE530s, I had the chance to here Qusps pair (Thanks Qusp!), and I had previously tried the TF.10s and SF.5s and coming from the Etys, I felt that all 3 pairs of iems had something weird with how everything is blended together, They all sort of sounded hollow and soundstage seemed a bit artificial, I can never quite pick out whats exactly wrong with the sound, I guess I need more time with them, but I'm guessing it has to do with the 2/3 drivers being in each iem and something weird going on there.

no probs caution; did you try them with the comply or olives. To me the comply offeres a much tighter bass and loses that teensie bit of boominess that the olives can bring with some tracks. also amping them properly brings out the highs a bit more. and yes they are similar to the SENN 600-650 not quite as dark but very similar.

yeah it really does take a little while to get used to the sound of quality multidriver IEMS the quickness and layering can sometimes come across a little artificial because you just dont have that kind of noise in the real world. in the real world noises blend to a certain degree rather than being focussed from one single small point in space. thats my theory anyhow
icon10.gif
but after having some time with these babies I actually prefer them to my HD-25 SENNS in every way; especially amped with the pico and with my new piccolino LOD damn that **** was tricky to work with

Nov 3, 2008 at 1:54 PM Post #39 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinx20001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
id say the se530 offers louder bass than the triple fi, but bass you cant hear is rolled off bass so i also think the se530 performs better in the low end

X2

I've had both and the SE530 def offer more bass, maybe not as low but as you say jinx bass you cant hear is no bass. there seemed to be a bit of a hole in the bass of the triples because of the crossover points; and having 2 high range an 1 low range instead of the other way around with the shures. I found the UE's to be a bit grating as well and couldn't keep them in for long for that reason (aside from the comfort issues) where-as the SE530 I can slepp with them in after having them in for hours during the day; comfortable and pleasing in many ways

Nov 3, 2008 at 2:49 PM Post #40 of 50
I tried them with olive tips
smily_headphones1.gif
I really should get a set of comply tips though, these olive tips are pretty muddy sounding I must say... Maybe I need more time with some Multi driver iems.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZephyrSapphire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To the OP, Get SE530's if you want something musical.

I hate it when you use the word "musical"
tongue.gif
What is musical!?

Nov 3, 2008 at 2:55 PM Post #41 of 50
Quote:

smily_headphones1.gif
I really should get a set of comply tips though, these olive tips are pretty muddy sounding I must say... Maybe I need more time with some Multi driver iems.

tongue.gif
What is musical!?

Fun sounding. Er... Warm. More emphasis on mid-range, less emphasis on highs.

Comply tips FTW!

Nov 3, 2008 at 3:01 PM Post #42 of 50
Well if musical = more emphasis on mid range, shouldn't the ER4's be more musical? o_O but then again they aren't warm and do have quite a bit of emphasis on highs. I wouldn't call warm musical though
tongue.gif
but I'm guessing everyone has their own definition of musical though, which is why I don't like that word at all
frown.gif

Nov 3, 2008 at 3:49 PM Post #45 of 50
Quote:

smily_headphones1.gif

tongue.gif
What is musical!?

i'm with you caution; musical is such an arbitrary word, could mean anything. and i'm sorry I didn't have any spare comply with me to leave fitted on the shures. I did try to (bought some especially for it), but they fell out of my bag at 5am when I got up and out of the house along with a couple of cables too; I thought I'd lost them when I noticed that my zip was open a tad when I got to Sydney airport; but when I came home they were sitting in the driveway
k701smile.gif
the olives really dont do great things for the SE530

Users who are viewing this thread

Back