APureSound upgrade cable for ER4P or upgrade to Shure SE530?
Nov 1, 2008 at 6:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 50

lmf22

1000+ Head-Fier
I can't seem to decide which path to go:

1. Get APureSound upgrade cable for my current Etymotic ER4P.

2. Sell ER4P and get Shure SE530.

3. Keep the current setup and save some money.

What every choice I go with, it will be used with my iPod Classic 160GB and iPod Touch (2nd generation), unamped.

I like the sound of my ER4P but wondering which of these choices will give me the best sound and value.

Nov 1, 2008 at 7:36 AM Post #3 of 50
How about adding an amp? If not, imo save your money
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 1, 2008 at 7:58 AM Post #4 of 50
the cable upgrade will give you the least amount of upgrade in SQ. and thats coming from someone who makes cables
darthsmile.gif
. upgrading your cable should be the last thing you do when you are totally happy with your sound and don't really have anywhere else to go with the setup. now that doesn't mean it should be the last thing you buy, because if you are really happy with the sound of your setup but just want to squeeze that last bit of performance out of it, its a good thing to do. so IEM upgrade, if happy with the IEM but want more of the same get an amp, once you have an amp and are still happy but want moere then go the cable upgrade.

Nov 1, 2008 at 10:05 AM Post #5 of 50
Very good advice. I have had the APS P and S cables and have the ultimate P cable on order from Alex (V2 terminated in xlr plugs) and love what these cables do the the ER4 that I already love. I have never heard the SE530 but did have E4C some time ago so my guess is the going to SE530 is more of a crossupgrade as they might be better than ER4 but are almost certainly also a fair bit different.

Nov 1, 2008 at 10:46 AM Post #7 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by lmf22 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't seem to decide which path to go:

1. Get APureSound upgrade cable for my current Etymotic ER4P.

2. Sell ER4P and get Shure SE530.

3. Keep the current setup and save some money.

What every choice I go with, it will be used with my iPod Classic 160GB and iPod Touch (2nd generation), unamped.

I like the sound of my ER4P but wondering which of these choices will give me the best sound and value.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caution /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How about adding an amp?

Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the cable upgrade will give you the least amount of upgrade in SQ. and thats coming from someone who makes cables
darthsmile.gif
. upgrading your cable should be the last thing you do when you are totally happy with your sound and don't really have anywhere else to go with the setup.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nc8000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very good advice. I have had the APS P and S cables and...love what these cables do the the ER4 that I already love. I have never heard the SE530...my guess is the going to SE530 is more of a crossupgrade as they might be better than ER4 but are almost certainly also a fair bit different.

Here's my entry to add to your consideration (confusion?).

I have the APS ER4P. I have tried the SE530. I have also tried cable upgrades in RCA, Mini-2-Mini and headphone cable forms. My portable/transportable explorations have been far more considerable than I would have hoped for originally and I attribute this to the broader diversity of sound signatures and sound quality you might find with the various 'voicings' of equipment. To me the GIGO principle is VERY much balanced with finding the right synergy of all the equipment you choose to place in the signal path.

Persoanlly I think the iPod Touch offers a good deal. The suggestion to add an amp could be of benefit if you want to change the dynamics and 'voicing' of the signal but it also adds mini-2-mini cabling as an issue plus, of course, finding the amp that sounds 'best' to you when synergised with your other equipment. For instance I think even with the APS 'P' recable for an ER4 you will benefit from an amp that has a bit of a warm bass emphasis (e.g. RSA SR-71). I personally also think the recabled ER4 still lacks punchiness and drive in the bass area so I'd look for that in an amp. What appeals to you, though, even with all the good advice and threads on this site, will really be totally up to your explorations.

In terms of replacing the ER4 I think you need to consider what you like about the overall presentation of what you are listening to. If it is the scintillating highs and solid midrange the ER4s are correctly famous for, then I personally would feel you could be disappointed by the SE530s (unless you paired them with a brighter amp). I think you'd love the much punchier bass but I also think you'd miss that crystal top end.
wink.gif

In terms of your 3 choices I have already chosen '1' and am pleased with the differences. However I would also suggest that if you were o.k. with a little DIY you might find playing with the resistance of the original cable could make the changes you want - I am PMing ATM with a HeadFi-er on a budget who is finding good results for himself with this approach (PM me if you want more details).

What has really blown me away though in the last 2 weeks is a recabling I have had for my Livewires T1s - it's given me almost everything the APS ER4Ps have (one micro step less in the highs I think, but it really is micro) yet a very full, rich, deep and punch bass (much clearer/cleaner than the SE530s). The problem with this? The cable cost the earth
confused_face.gif
Which might be o.k. for me, as I finally (think I) have the sound I'll settle with portably. But this cable has made far more of a change than the standard copper vs silver mini-2-mini approach. So there are cables (and I admit only a few compared to the vast majority out there) that do provide more than "the least amount of upgrade in SQ". So much so that I altered the chip in my DAC to a cleaner chip that didn't need to provide the bass emphasis I felt I needed still with the APS ER4Ps.

But I must stress, as always, those are MY conclusions for MY ears with the equipment I am using.

You really do need to explore for yourself.

So, if money is an issue, perhaps '3. really is the best option - at least until you get so disgruntled with what you perceive is missing in comparison to your home setup(s) that you need to start 'investing' here and there and trying how to further improve what you have - with amp or IEMs first, then mini-2-minis, then IEM recable (you can see the dollars building up, can't you...).

Nov 1, 2008 at 12:59 PM Post #8 of 50
yes but by the sound of it you already have an amp yes???

and did you get the piccolino recable by stevenkelby for your livewires? because thats a different story altogether but OMG the $$$ involved in that. I use/made a piccolino DIYMOD LOD for my CF modded DIYMOD 5.5G and it has made the most wonderful change to my setup. i'm just saying that there are other things to think of first maybe; not that it doesn't make a noticeable difference. I'm a serious cable believer for XXXX sake I'm not that much of a hypocrite
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 1, 2008 at 2:03 PM Post #9 of 50
id take the se530 over the ety's any day no questions asked but i will say...at this level of audio equipment there really is no set of phones better than the other.

yes there is technically better phones as in using 3 drivers and a crossover is technically a better achievement than using a single driver but this does not make it better.

its all about what sound you like and in order to find this out you should try more that one or two set of phones.

but my 0.02 says the se530 is the far superior set of phones over the ety's.

Nov 1, 2008 at 3:28 PM Post #10 of 50
Thank you all for the replies. That was really quick.

I have considered a portable amp but it kind of inconvenient. I don't want to carry another piece of equipment when I'm on he go.

What I like about my ER4P is the large soundstage and clarity. However, sometimes the sound seems kind of thin. I recently switch from AKG K701 (which I thought sounded thin) to the Sennheiser HD650 (a much fuller sound to my ears). I also like the warmer sound of the HD650. So, perhaps switching to the Shure SE530 from ER4P will give me a similar kind of satisfaction I got from switching to the HD650 from K701. That is, a warmer more natural sound.

I understand that cable upgrades should be the last thing on the list. At almost $200 for the APureSound upgrade cable, it is kind of expensive. Now I'm not sure if it is worth it just to squeeze that last bit of performance from the ER4P.

Another advantage to getting the SE530 is that I will have more knowledge (and experience) by trying another set of earphones that have a significantly different sound signiture compared to the ER4P.

After weighing all your comments so far, I have decided to get the SE530. There's a SE530-PTH on the for sale forum right now. Even if I don't like it I could sell it after a few months with little loss.

Does my reasoning sound logical?

Nov 1, 2008 at 4:50 PM Post #12 of 50
yeh its logical, theres a good chance you will be wowed by the se530, but coming from ety's alot of users are dissapointed by how laid back the highs are so be prepared and open your mind to the other qualities.

if you dont like em the re'sale of earphones is suprisingly easy when at this price level, everyone is looking for a good deal on high end earphones so selling them should be easy.

Nov 1, 2008 at 9:23 PM Post #13 of 50
Quote:

Thank you all for the replies. That was really quick.

That's what we Head-Fi-ers are about!
ksc75smile.gif

Quote:

I have considered a portable amp but it kind of inconvenient. I don't want to carry another piece of equipment when I'm on he go.

Fully understand and agree. That's why I indicated the Touch's HP out might be more than sufficient for your needs.
wink.gif

Quote:

What I like about my ER4P is the large soundstage and clarity. However, sometimes the sound seems kind of thin. I recently switch from AKG K701 (which I thought sounded thin) to the Sennheiser HD650 (a much fuller sound to my ears). I also like the warmer sound of the HD650. So, perhaps switching to the Shure SE530 from ER4P will give me a similar kind of satisfaction I got from switching to the HD650 from K701. That is, a warmer more natural sound.

All very much in line with the differences you're likely to experience between these two IEMs. I agree the ER4P can be thin. The APS cable and other equipment synergy choices can assist with that but, even then, it wouldn't give you the punch and drive the bottom end of the SE530s can give you.

Quote:

Another advantage to getting the SE530 is that I will have more knowledge (and experience) by trying another set of earphones that have a significantly different sound signiture compared to the ER4P.

Yes, experimentation with your ears, preferences and equipment is definitely the key.

Quote:

After weighing all your comments so far, I have decided to get the SE530. There's a SE530-PTH on the for sale forum right now. Even if I don't like it I could sell it after a few months with little loss.

Does my reasoning sound logical?

Quote:

Originally Posted by jinx20001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yeh its logical, theres a good chance you will be wowed by the se530, but coming from ety's alot of users are dissapointed by how laid back the highs are so be prepared and open your mind to the other qualities.

jinx20001 is spot on.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jinx20001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yes there is technically better phones as in using 3 drivers and a crossover is technically a better achievement than using a single driver but this does not make it better.

its all about what sound you like and in order to find this out you should try more that one or two set of phones.

X 2.

Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yes but by the sound of it you already have an amp yes???

and did you get the piccolino recable by stevenkelby for your livewires? because thats a different story altogether but OMG the $$$ involved in that. I use/made a piccolino DIYMOD LOD for my CF modded DIYMOD 5.5G and it has made the most wonderful change to my setup. i'm just saying that there are other things to think of first maybe; not that it doesn't make a noticeable difference. I'm a serious cable believer for XXXX sake I'm not that much of a hypocrite
smily_headphones1.gif

Yes, I have an amp...yes, it's the Picollino (so with or without amp the improvements are quite noticeable)...yes, it's an insane amount of money...and yes, as I posted, I agree that there are other things to consider - I don't think the 'hypocrite' label applies, though, to either of us. As I posted, there are just a couple of cables I've come across that do make that significant a difference that I'd rate their consideration as much as some other changes in the audio path (mainly because the change is so significant it could lead to/require other changes in the chain to make the most of the new benefits/re-attain a best overall improved synergy).

As stated, I think lmf22 is making a good decision for his personal 'portable audio' journey at this point in time. Have fun with the SE530s, lmf22.

Nov 1, 2008 at 11:27 PM Post #14 of 50
I was in the same position as you a month or so ago. Had and loved the Etymotic ER4P for a long time but wanted something different.

Went to the Shure SE530 and fell in love. I still have my Etys as they have been solid and I like them for classical music over the Shures.

Amping? meh.... both are easy to drive from many portable sources and do just fine unamped IMO. I was looking at a RSA Tomahawk but thought I would get some music instead.

Nov 2, 2008 at 12:40 AM Post #15 of 50
Wait, I'm confused here.. I had a look on the APS site and their cables are SO damn expensive.. The ER4-Ps are only about $200US and the 4ft APS cable is another $190! Assuming the ground is separated, that's like $12/ft for each strand!! As far as I know, the most expensive cable out there at the moment is the Jena Labs cryo at $5/ft, how does APS justify this ludicrous price??!!

Also, it's not exactly clear what kind of wire they use:

"The ER4 cable is constructed of high grade copper wire."

High grade copper..? That could mean anything.. Just my opinion but I'm not entirely sure why anyone would spend this kind of money on a cable...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back