Any anime series that you've been enjoying?
Oct 16, 2008 at 4:55 PM Post #1,906 of 6,444
I recently dug Ranma 1/2 out and I've been loving it. Definitely one of my favorites. I'm not good at keeping up with new anime anymore, maybe I'm too old (20 next month). It was way easier in high school when I had time to actually sit down and watch. Full Metal Alchemist is also an absolutely amazing anime for anyone who hasn't seen it. FMA is on the top of my anime that I will love forever and ever list. I have a way too large collection of Alphonse stuff.

Oct 16, 2008 at 7:53 PM Post #1,907 of 6,444
wow, Kannagi lived up to my expectations and much more! Can't fault with anything in the show, one of those times you come to realize when everyone is raving it, it is got to be something
smily_headphones1.gif
Nagi's SD looks are really hitting the spot for me.

Hyakko eps2 was not bad at all, there were some moments I got a few chuckles out of. Still a bit slow for a comedy and some jokes are too predictable and/or forced. But as a whole it felt a good bit better than the last week's airing. I must be getting used to it too.

Last but not least, Clannad AS eps2 was some of the best anime watching experience in a while. In a word, it was a nonstop lolfest! Poor molested soul Sunohara is, but I wonder what I would do if I were in Tomoya's shoes... Such a gullible fellow to pick on
very_evil_smiley.gif
Nagisa comes off as belonging in the same group as Tsukasa from Lucky Star, in the sense that they are totally harmless and innocuous for the most part yet blurt out something most absurd time to time - an integral part of humor in respective shows.

Ga Rei Zero seemed to be full of energy and quality. Admirers of Black Lagoon type of action would have no problem embracing this show IMO. Not my type though, not a big fan of "fighting against evil spirits" sort of themes. Action is a bit too flashy and unrealistic-but-trying-to-be-serious-about-it for me. I may keep watching this though, just for the sake of trying something different.

Oct 16, 2008 at 11:18 PM Post #1,908 of 6,444
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatto /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I recently dug Ranma 1/2 out and I've been loving it. Definitely one of my favorites.

Ranma 1/2 was one of the first anime I got into (along with Tenchi Muyo and Project Ako). I still have the first series on VHS (the box is like 2 feet deep :p ). It's the only tapes I kept... for nostalgia's sake. Definitely classic stuff, I can't believe it can still be found on store shelves.

Oct 17, 2008 at 12:59 AM Post #1,909 of 6,444
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatto /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I recently dug Ranma 1/2 out and I've been loving it. Definitely one of my favorites. I'm not good at keeping up with new anime anymore, maybe I'm too old (20 next month). It was way easier in high school when I had time to actually sit down and watch. Full Metal Alchemist is also an absolutely amazing anime for anyone who hasn't seen it. FMA is on the top of my anime that I will love forever and ever list. I have a way too large collection of Alphonse stuff.

One way to keep up on new anime is Anime News Network there is even a 'staff' of reviewers that can give you an idea about the series, but be careful, they tend to spoil. I used their reviews to guide my foray into this seasons' anime. Kannagi got mediocre rankings there, but I've seen a few people in this thread that liked it so I'm going to give it a shot anyways.

Miko: I don't see the energy and quality in Gai Rei Zero. The monster in the first episode wipes out the entire special forces unit but him and the girl, and that's just a category B with a few category Cs. This show seems to be going faster than it can keep up with and will burn out early on creativity (if there was any to begin with). Their category scheme doesn't leave much room for a long series, but perhaps they aren't looking for length. They should take a cue from D. Gray-man and make the class grow instead of shrink. It leaves room for ever more powerful foes. Anyways, don't dig the show at all.

Oct 17, 2008 at 1:17 AM Post #1,910 of 6,444
There's five people in the Yozakura Quartet.

Nodame Paris wins best ED simply for integrating a variation on Ravel's Bolero. If you liked the original series and/or classical music, this one is sure to please. Hopefully another Mongoose Box is in the works.

Quote:

Ga Rei Zero seemed to be full of energy and quality. Admirers of Black Lagoon type of action would have no problem embracing this show IMO.

Black Lagoon is among my most absolute favorite shows. Ga Rei Zero was a struggle to watch and I expect to drop it. The nice artwork and real firearms are there but the depth of character and story is not. The action scenes were embarrassing to watch. Not realistic enough to be impressive, not crazy enough to suspend disbelief.

Quote:

Soul Eater was dissed by Dattebayo so I didn't really pay it much attention, but I eventually got around to checking it out and man it's great!

Dattebayo hates everything. Their recommendations are to be universally disregarded.

Oct 17, 2008 at 1:28 AM Post #1,911 of 6,444
thanks maxvla!

Oct 17, 2008 at 7:25 PM Post #1,912 of 6,444
i havent watched a new series in a few months, but the most recent ones were lucky star, tengen toppa gurren lagann, welcome to the nhk, and code geass

i'd rate all of them pretty high.

lucky star was a laid back anime. many of my friends said it was hard to watch one episode after another, but i finished it in 2 days lol.

welcome to the nhk was also a laid back anime. you can google the story, but it's an anime that some can relate to. talking with friends, it seems like if you can't relate you won't enjoy it as much. i definitely enjoyed it though

gurren lagann was an action-packed anime with an awesome story IMO. i'd definitely recommend it to anyone

code geass was a pretty good anime coming from clamp. it was very... suspenseful to say the least, especially the second season. many people have said it, but it is somehow similar to death note. the story is completely different from death note, but it gives off the same vibe

Oct 17, 2008 at 7:54 PM Post #1,913 of 6,444
Episode 3 of Toradora just came out. I am stunned by how bad the animation and overall production quality degraded compared to episode 2. They must have shot their whole budget on the first two.

Gurren Lagaan was a total rip of Eureka7. It's appalling they've gotten away with it.

Oct 17, 2008 at 8:11 PM Post #1,914 of 6,444
Quote:

Originally Posted by Myrdin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Gurren Lagaan was a total rip of Eureka7. It's appalling they've gotten away with it.

Not sure I follow you there at all. Other than the presence of mecha, odd girls, and reluctant male lead, can't think of much similarities. And well, the latter two have been associated with mecha ever since Eva.

Oct 17, 2008 at 9:01 PM Post #1,915 of 6,444
Quote:

Originally Posted by marvin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not sure I follow you there at all. Other than the presence of mecha, odd girls, and reluctant male lead, can't think of much similarities. And well, the latter two have been associated with mecha ever since Eva.

Series begins with humanity under siege from a poorly understood force. Enter our hero; A youth with a humble life, aspirations of greatness, and hidden power. Suddenly, a cute female character literally drops in with a mecha and crushes part of hero's stuff. Our hero is caught up in the ensuing battle and absconds with the female on a quest to buck the establishment and save humanity. I'll stop here to spare spoilers for those that may not have seen either show. It's like the Tengen Toppa Team took the script from Eureka7 and just plugged in different nouns.

Oct 17, 2008 at 9:07 PM Post #1,916 of 6,444
Quote:

Originally Posted by Myrdin /img/forum/go_quote.gif

you obviously havent seen a lot of anime
ph34r.gif

gurren lagaan was more like G gundam fused with gunbuster/aim for the top.

eureka seven wasnt very original; just another take on the good old gundam storyline(i hate those annoying kids)
floatsmile.png

Oct 17, 2008 at 10:45 PM Post #1,917 of 6,444
you guys are probably right about Ga Rei Zero, like I have said repeatedely I am not big on action and theme and have already stated I did not find that particular series to my liking - I didn't even finish the first episode. I was under impression that characters take a backseat in action-oriented anime, I was only looking at how animation was done (again, reasons cited for my disliking). Maybe it was a bit hasty remark, I falsely assumed that could be along your alley. My appologies
tongue.gif

Perhaps Michiko and Hacchin might be a better place to look, though this is not exactly what I would be interested personally.

I just got Toradora 3 among other things, will have to report back on my findings. Quite depressing to hear see your remarks
frown.gif

Oct 17, 2008 at 10:55 PM Post #1,918 of 6,444
diggin gundam 00 s2. (kidou senshi gundam double o)

I didn't think eureka 7 and Gurren Lagaan were dead alike. But I did enjoy both of them...so maybe there is some similar underlying stuff that made it so I did like em. For the most part though, both stories were pretty good to me.

For GL, their initial goal in "saving humanity" was quite the opposite no? In terms of what it achieved, and what turned out to be the truth of the situation. Later on sure.

props to Dattebayo though. I do every now and then roll in to check on their trolls. 5 cm per second was an enjoyable film. Without them trolling, I probably wouldn't have found out about it. I actually d/led it after finding out it was a troll, cause for the most part their projects (bleach/naruto) are not of interest to me. Genshiken was amazing.

Oct 18, 2008 at 12:01 AM Post #1,919 of 6,444
Quote:

Originally Posted by marvin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Other than the presence of mecha, odd girls, and reluctant male lead, can't think of much similarities. And well, the latter two have been associated with mecha ever since Eva.

It can be tough trying to find anime falling outside of the typical clichés or archetypes. Probably the last one I know of that did, at least to some degree, was Spice and Wolf, mainly because of the concentration on merchant facets rather than action. Before that, maybe Planetes. Not sure I've seen any series before that were about garbage collection in space.

Usually I can expect a series to remind me of at least a couple that have come before it, or if it's a harem / date-sim anime, it's probably closely-based on a few thousand =P

Oct 18, 2008 at 12:17 AM Post #1,920 of 6,444
lol
you know most anime's are similar to each other period.

if one comes around that's 100% original, i give the creators mad props.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back