Any anime series that you've been enjoying?
Oct 14, 2008 at 7:26 PM Post #1,891 of 6,444
Quote:

A few books and lunchboxes?! The limited edition boxset on the left is signed by Yasuyuki Ueda and Yo****oshi ABe, the big lunchbox is another limited edition boxset, the two big artbooks are simply amazing, the legit version of the Bootleg CD boxset is pretty much nonexistant outside of YHJ auctions where you have to bid against hardcore Japanese fans, and I've gone as far as to track down Lain doujinshi (non-H). Plus I also have a couple dozen cels from Lain, including 3 close-ups shots of Lain.

Get some figures, and then will talk! What's wrong with H doujinshi anyway?
tongue.gif

Finally got to see the famed/infamous Toradora! In a word, so cliche, but so good! Production quality helps I guess? Or could be just that I am a big Kugimin whore and havn't got a chance to read the novel. I tend to accept deviations from the original as long as I get a feeling the staff understands what the original is about, and Toradora appears to be different yet good from what I heard. My obvious favortism in seiyu aside, Minori seems to be a hyper energetic type. Hoping to see more of her down the road
smily_headphones1.gif

I am dying to check out Kannagi, people seem to like it a whole lot.

Oct 14, 2008 at 9:56 PM Post #1,892 of 6,444
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vertigo-1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you seen El Cazador De Bruja yet? I'm guessing this show falls off of most people's radars, it certainly fell off mine until I ran into its name completely by accident on Wikipedia. It's the third series in the intended trilogy of "girls with guns" shows by the director of Noir and Madlax. It's set in a Western setting with a relatively less complex storyline than Noir or Madlax (although it does involve supernaturalism), and it has some great character development, particularly between the two female protagonists. The action is secondary really, some gun fights here and there but not that flashy.

Yeah, it's on The List™, but I can't even think about getting anything new until I finish getting everything I already have out of backlog purgatory.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikoLayer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Get some figures, and then will talk! What's wrong with H doujinshi anyway?
tongue.gif

Meh, figures don't really interest me much, I'm more interested in artbooks and cels. And c'mon, Lain is a 14 year old kid, I have no desire to see her in some H doujinshi.
eek.gif

Oct 14, 2008 at 11:57 PM Post #1,893 of 6,444
El Cazador de la Bruja is incredibly dull and slow-moving. I could not finish watching it, but I did manage to get further into it than I did into Madlax (which I only lasted two episodes).

This is not surprising, considering Bee Train's record.

Noir would be twenty times better (and actually watchable) were it cut down to 13 episodes with half as many flashbacks.

Oct 15, 2008 at 12:38 AM Post #1,894 of 6,444
I think if you took out most of the flashbacks / recaps / long pauses to reveal things we already know, Noir would be 13 episodes long.
tongue.gif

I love the show and all, but they really do beat you over the head with every little plot detail.

Oct 15, 2008 at 1:34 AM Post #1,895 of 6,444
Forgive me for not reading through all 190 preceding pages.

This season of anime didn't look promising. It's all just variations of the single awkward male falling for some randomly associated girl. After watching the first fansubbed episode of a few, a gem seems to be emerging. There still aren't enough explosions for my taste but some of you are sure to like these.

1) Kannagi
Nice production quality. Story is kinda original and the pacing is very good. No real fanservice, thankfully. The characters are all extensively animated and expressive. What caught my attention most is that the characters are actually believable in their actions and reactions.

2) Toradora
For those that like the Tsundere theme this is great, which means I don't personally like it much. Imagine Zero no Tsukaima set in modern day Japan. Rather good animation quality with a bright colour palette and fast pacing. They don't seem to be following the manga closely and that is a significant improvement, in my opinion. However, they've sped through nearly the whole manga release in two episodes! I don't know how they'll end this.

Oct 15, 2008 at 6:08 PM Post #1,896 of 6,444
Well, I'm back from work and I actually had a couple of days of downtime between wells which means I got to make a big dent in some of my backed up anime:

Ninin Ga Shinobuden (2x2 Shinobuden): I actually finished this one the day before I went to work. It was recommended to me by a friend who, after this, I really have to decide whether or not to listen to his recommendation anymore. The story appears to revolve around a kunoichi named Shinobu and her interactions with her friend Kaede, sister, master (a weird ball-thing named Onsukamaru) and ninja clan. Beyond the main character being a ninja in training and part of a ninja clan, the series really doesn't have too much else to do with Ninjas, thus justly deserving the translation of its name: Ninja Nonsense. In any case, it felt rather typical in the amount of fan-service being thrown about, the jokes (a fair amount of which were toilet humor from Onsukamaru) and the general interactions between the characters: I think I'd have to put this at a 1/5: watch it and forget about it. (or avoid it as the case may be: I don't feel you'll miss anything by not having it around).

Ayakashi-Japanese Classic Horror: This was a very nice 13 episode series and was engaging enough to keep me pissed off every time someone interrupted me and stopped the flow of the series. It breaks down into 3 stories: The first being a samurai story of betrayal and back-stabbing, the second is the love story between a demon princess (or forgotten-god) and a falconer and the third (my particular favorite) is the story of the haunting of a family by a Bake-Neko (Demon Cat). Art work is stellar and changes with each story and each story is engaging in its own right. The characters are well fleshed out and their situations are portrayed very nicely. A plus for me was that Yo****aka Amano (one of the illustrators for Neil Gaiman's The Sandman) was also involved in this series. 5/5.

Area 88: Fitz, as it stands, you were absolutely right in our previous discussion. For those who don't know Area 88 was an OVA from the 80's about a pilot who was tricked into flying for a militant state's Air Force. The only way out of the contract with their Air Force is either to die, earn 1.5 Million Dollars and buy out your contract or go AWOL. The series I watched is a newer version, and while you can pick up a lot of the story from this series and the series does stand on its own if you haven't seen the OVA (like me). Details in the artwork are very good and the characters are all presented very nicely. The only mild drawback for me was that the dogfights were clearly mostly done in CGI and the jump from animation to CGI was fairly noticeable. But since the CGI was only really used for dogfights, things weren't too choppy. Overall, a very nice series, but you can tell, as Fitz told me, that there is more in the back story that you are missing if you don't catch the OVA as well. 4/5.

This Ugly Yet Beautiful World: Ah, Gainax! How I love your ability to come up with series that interest me. This series was indeed, another work by Gainax, and in my opinion, it turned out very nicely. The series revolves around a boy named Takeru Takemoto and his interaction with what ends up being essentially an Angel of Death come to cause the next mass extinction. The 'Angel' is named Hikari and she is part of the Greater Design; a mechanism to cause an extinction every time a particular form of life becomes too dominant. Things aren't one sided in this matter though, but discussing it further opens up a can of spoilers and this is really too good a series to spoil, though I'll admit that seasoned anime viewers will probably see most of the twists coming from a mile away. Do yourself a favor though--give this series a shot. It is short, but it is also well worth it: 4.5/5

Beyond The Clouds-The Place Promised In Our Early Years: I caught an AMV someone made on youtube using clips from this movie and the artwork caught my attention. In fact, that's probably the only reason I found this movie and gave it a shot. It takes place in an alternate future where Japan is divided into the North (which has the support of Russia) and the South (with the support of America). The story revolves around 3 friends and a plane that they are building from scratch so they can fly across the military border to see a mysterious white tower in the Northern Territory that is so tall, it can be seen even from most parts of the Southern Territory. In my opinion, I have seen better anime movies but the plot was rather reasonable, the characters weren't too over the top, and the animation was just beautiful. I'd have to go with this being a solid 4/5.

Ranma 1/2: To be fair, I have seen several episodes of Ranma, but they are all random episodes and it was hard to follow character development as a result. I finally broke down, found all of the series and started watching it from the bottom 2 weeks ago. I've finished about 2/3 of it and I love that even though I still prefer the manga, the anime has the same knack for showing how even though Ranma and Akane have a lover's quarrel about next to anything and everything, they still develop and harbor strong feelings for each other. I really do like this series even though I can see why some people hate it with a passion. In any case I give it a 3.5/5 for now, but I don't see the last 50 episodes changing that opinion for better or worse.

Looking forward to what I have coming up to finish before I start looking at the new season:

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
Macross Frontier
You're Under Arrest-Full Throttle
Black Cat
Kurogane Communication

Oct 15, 2008 at 9:48 PM Post #1,897 of 6,444
I guess we just can't agree on every single thing - Shinobuden was one of the best comedy shows known to me, coming from a favorite studio and starring two of my all time favorite seiyuus. Koga Ryoichi is known for a very eccentric brand of humor that you either get or you don't. Maybe I just have a thing for toilet humor?
biggrin.gif
Oh, and I will say this again: Konomini is one of, if not the most beautiful looking anime I have seen.

Myrdin, your observation on Toradora is in agreement with my wn and what I have read in anime blogs, except I am a sucker for tsundere shows. So far so good me thinks.

Oct 15, 2008 at 9:55 PM Post #1,898 of 6,444
Yozakura Quartet was a complete meh, at least not what I was expecting. Quite unlikely I will keep watching this one. Chaos;Head looked good though, I could relate to the protagonist in certain ways, nice drawing and all.

So far from October, it would be

Kemeko Deluxe
CLANNAD AS
To Aru Majutsu no Index
Toradora!
CHAOS;HEAD
ef a tale of memories
Akaneiro ni Somaru Saka
Hyakko
Shikabane Hime Aka
Kurozuka
Kyou no Gou no Ni
Macademi Wasshoi
Yozakura Quartet

Roughly in that order of preference. I suspect ef will take off in the next few episodes like its prequel did.

Oct 16, 2008 at 1:10 AM Post #1,899 of 6,444
Yozakura Quartet isn't bad.. yet. The first ep was about what I expected, but as I said before it felt refreshing for some reason. I'm getting the second episode right now so we'll see what they do with it.

Oct 16, 2008 at 1:20 AM Post #1,900 of 6,444
Quote:

Originally Posted by appophylite /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Area 88: Fitz, as it stands, you were absolutely right in our previous discussion. ... Overall, a very nice series, but you can tell, as Fitz told me, that there is more in the back story that you are missing if you don't catch the OVA as well. 4/5.

It looks like once the remaining Area 88 DVD collections are sold, they'll likely be hard to come by. It was an ADV license and I doubt Funimation will be picking it up.
Quote:

....Kurogane Communication

Another bargain bin collection that's worth picking up. I've seen the DVD set of this being sold for as little as $5. A surprisingly interesting sci-fi mini-series with a lot of character (I won't give away the plot since you haven't watched it yet appophylite).

Oct 16, 2008 at 4:59 AM Post #1,902 of 6,444
Agreed. Soul Eater was dissed by Dattebayo so I didn't really pay it much attention, but I eventually got around to checking it out and man it's great! The opening song rocks and the style is fun.

On another note, Bleach is FINALLY done with the filler arc and returning to save Orihime. Incidentally I ran across an Orihime pic wearing headphones if anyone wants it:

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/f...el/orihime.jpg

Oct 16, 2008 at 6:07 AM Post #1,903 of 6,444
I've been watching Naruto, and Bleach, but honestly it's just for the sake of killing time since I read the manga as well which is much further ahead.
I really wish there were more shows out there that I found enjoyable.
Some of my top pics:
Furi Kuri
Cowboy Bebop
Haibane Renmei
Beck
Death Note
Full Metal Alchemist
Samurai Champloo

Oct 16, 2008 at 4:22 PM Post #1,905 of 6,444
Quote:

Originally Posted by MikoLayer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess we just can't agree on every single thing - Shinobuden was one of the best comedy shows known to me, coming from a favorite studio and starring two of my all time favorite seiyuus. Koga Ryoichi is known for a very eccentric brand of humor that you either get or you don't. Maybe I just have a thing for toilet humor?
biggrin.gif

I'm gonna probably go with there being something there that I missed during the first viewing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikoLayer
Oh, and I will say this again: Konomini is one of, if not the most beautiful looking anime I have seen.

Isn't it just though? I saw the preview for it somewhere and thought it looked like an more or less well though out slice-of-life anime. It came out of the blue as a very nice anime that exceeded my expectations, much like Uta-Kata did.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HiGHFLYiN9 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quote:

Kurogane Communication

Another bargain bin collection that's worth picking up. I've seen the DVD set of this being sold for as little as $5. A surprisingly interesting sci-fi mini-series with a lot of character (I won't give away the plot since you haven't watched it yet appophylite).

I'm looking forward to it. My sister actually snagged it for me on my request because I didn't have time but she didn't care for it herself though. She did say that it was right up my alley, so that appears to be at least 2 good recommendations prior to starting it off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back