Android phones and USB DACs
Dec 31, 2012 at 3:34 AM Post #1,231 of 9,526
Quote:
I am not quite willing to give up the convenience of a music player for the better sound of the external DAC using USB Audio Recorder Pro. It gets old pretty fast to manually load one song at a time. And again, I like some of the effects the Noozxoide app provides and that does not work with the USB app. I do hope to use an external DAC full time sometime soon when this possibility is more convenient to use.

Yes, another important solution for people is: upgrade your phone. To an S3, Note 2, or this spring probably an S4. Those phones put the USB OTG into the kernel, and then you are free to choose from many different players. With better features for random, or DLNA, or playlists, or more extensive floating-point manipulations. God bless USB Audio Recorder Pro, but if as its single developer states, its raison d'etre is recorder you might wait a while for features like those.

Now for aging phones that USB Audio Recorder Pro supports, that fact means their hardware is up to snuff, and its not impossible Cyanogenmod could save your bacon some day, with a release with USB OTG in the kernel, and then you could use any player software. There's safety in numbers, as far as choosing phones that have sold more copies.

Dec 31, 2012 at 4:31 AM Post #1,232 of 9,526
Quote:
Alright, but a bit confused because you said that Micro B would use the S3 as a usb peripheral, and this is a Micro B OTG... 

So for my FiiO E07K I would do something like this?
S3 > digital usb audio out > Micro USB OTG to USB 2.0 Adapter > USB 2.0 to Mini B > Fiio E07K

Correct, basic way to consider it is that anything that would plug directly into the micro-jack in the bottom of the S3 would make the phone the peripheral, but any that can only be connected via a USB OTG cable (type A to type whatever your device connects with) makes the phone the host...

I am sure there are some odd items that buck that trend, but - thinking of USB Keys, USB soundcards etc. etc. I can think of none that have the mini connector that would plug straight into the port on the phone.

Dec 31, 2012 at 3:02 PM Post #1,234 of 9,526
I really like my S3 phone, but wojuld not mind having a non-phone of similar sonic abilities just for music (extra battery life, among other considerations).  I am not well versed on the Samsung music players but wonder if this one would work with an otg cable and external dac?

sorry if i am being lazy, but not sure if there are subtle differences between models...

http://www.abt.com/product/61051/Samsung-YPGS1CBXAA.html?utm_source=scfroogle&utm_medium=sc&utm_campaign=YPGS1CB&adtype=pla

thanks fir checking - 

also, if this one will not do it, can you link me to one that can?

Dec 31, 2012 at 6:08 PM Post #1,235 of 9,526
Quote:
I really like my S3 phone, but wojuld not mind having a non-phone of similar sonic abilities just for music (extra battery life, among other considerations).  I am not well versed on the Samsung music players but wonder if this one would work with an otg cable and external dac?

Since the S3 measures better than most devices on the market, and has native usb dac support, would a self contained battery pack like this one meet your needs? http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10833&cs_id=1083311&p_id=7664&seq=1&format=2

Dec 31, 2012 at 10:31 PM Post #1,236 of 9,526
Quote:

sorry if i am being lazy, but not sure if there are subtle differences between models...

http://www.abt.com/product/61051/Samsung-YPGS1CBXAA.html?utm_source=scfroogle&utm_medium=sc&utm_campaign=YPGS1CB&adtype=pla

Would be nice to get an Android non-phone for $200 instead of a phone for $800. Yes in all the hype about the Galaxy Note and Galaxy S III, people don't always notice Samsung's fuller line of devices. They also make the Galaxy Player line, which basically parallels Apple iPod Touch line (an iPhone without the phone). And the Galaxy Camera (that runs 4.1 Jelly Bean) http://www.samsung.com/au/consumer/mobile-phone/galaxy-camera/galaxy-camera-fixed-lens-type/EK-GC100ZWAXSA 

These devices run Android. And they have USB. And they are from Samsung. That said I am not optimistic that they put in the software for USB OTG, or as Dan Ba has pointed out, beyond OTG actual full support for USB digital Audio. I haven't read the fine print specs or tested them yet though.

PS yes There are often subtle differences between models. Much further above in this thread I linked to I think gsmarena which shows that phones can have several different international versions, different version for Asia, Korea, USA, Europe... A triumph of marketing... OK here it is... Not sure that website tracks non-phone-android-devices http://www.gsmarena.com/results.php3?sFreeSearch=yes&sFreeText=on-the-go Again note that USB OTG is just a pre-requisite. It probably means the Audio Recorder Pro software may squeeze digital audio out of it. But it doesn't guarantee the manufacturer ships it with a full proper kernel driver for USB digital audio. 

Jan 1, 2013 at 3:22 PM Post #1,237 of 9,526
I've contacted Supercurio and here's his reply:

Quote:
Hello Joseph and thanks for your interesting email.
I don't plan to investigate on USB DAC so far because the portables one I know available on market are of poor quality.
A few months ago I bought a FiiO E17 in this purpose and it turned out to be an overhyped crap (I should have known better) so as it's considered as the best on market by many it showed me it's much more interesting to focus on quality low power DAC/Amp inside devices already.
Working on a solution that would lead most to get worse audio quality, bulk, no audio in calls, added complexity for charging, physical damage of the smartphone casing if both are in the same pocket without even more bulk.. Well I can continue the list. Oh and cost! That makes absolutely no sense to me.
If you know of portable USB DAC+Amp worth it please let me know!

Jan 1, 2013 at 4:26 PM Post #1,238 of 9,526
OK folks, let's all pack up and go home... Supercurio has spoken... All 60 DACs in this thread are crap... All 1200 posts are wrong... 

The real issue is that there are no (ok, only one) standalone Android devices that are audiophile grade. Sometimes one has a decent DAC inside, but then the amp is lame. And if I can be cynical too, I don't see this as ever changing, for the simple reason that these devices are targeted at mass market consumers, and every single transistor is scrutinized to lower costs. So I'm not sure what Supercurio is smoking, but he'll be smoking it for a long time if he waits for his "quality low power DAC/amp inside devices already". Or maybe like others he just plans to use Android 2.3 on the DX100 forever. 

The opposite is in fact the very reason for this staggeringly popular thread. We can let the consumer devices do what they do best: deliver a great UI, powerful software, OLED screeen, at a low cost, and just hand us our audio out the USB port in unmolested digital form. They just have to integrate some existing software into the kernel and we're good to go! And in turn this will only increase the market for mo'betta' USB DACs and amps. But spurious and illogical objections only get in the way of progress.

And to answer the question he's incapable of googling, first not all of us feel the $139 e17 is the final word in portable DACs, and second he could try the DACport LX. 

Jan 1, 2013 at 6:46 PM Post #1,239 of 9,526
"considered as the best on market by many"

Laughable comment is laughable.

Jan 2, 2013 at 2:41 AM Post #1,240 of 9,526
Jan 2, 2013 at 2:43 AM Post #1,241 of 9,526
Quote:
OK folks, let's all pack up and go home... Supercurio has spoken... All 60 DACs in this thread are crap... All 1200 posts are wrong... 

The real issue is that there are no (ok, only one) standalone Android devices that are audiophile grade. Sometimes one has a decent DAC inside, but then the amp is lame. And if I can be cynical too, I don't see this as ever changing, for the simple reason that these devices are targeted at mass market consumers, and every single transistor is scrutinized to lower costs. So I'm not sure what Supercurio is smoking, but he'll be smoking it for a long time if he waits for his "quality low power DAC/amp inside devices already". Or maybe like others he just plans to use Android 2.3 on the DX100 forever. 

The opposite is in fact the very reason for this staggeringly popular thread. We can let the consumer devices do what they do best: deliver a great UI, powerful software, OLED screeen, at a low cost, and just hand us our audio out the USB port in unmolested digital form. They just have to integrate some existing software into the kernel and we're good to go! And in turn this will only increase the market for mo'betta' USB DACs and amps. But spurious and illogical objections only get in the way of progress.

And to answer the question he's incapable of googling, first not all of us feel the e17 is the final word in portable DACs, and second he could try the DACport LX. 

+1, +1 .

Jan 2, 2013 at 8:19 AM Post #1,242 of 9,526
I've also contacted codeworkx (one of the creators of Cyanogenmod) and sadly he won't implement USB audio either. He hates the GS3 and doesn't have the proper equipment to test it out. Lastly I've PM:d gokhanmoral, creator of the Siyah kernel, no reply yet.

Well this sucks...

Jan 2, 2013 at 10:06 AM Post #1,243 of 9,526
Quote:

I will email Kingwa.

A Micro-A to Standard-B cable:
http://www.lindy.fr/cable-usb-micro-a-b-05m/31950.html

USB is an asymmetric protocol in that one participant acts as a USB host (i.e. A-device) and the other as a USB peripheral (i.e. B-device).
The standard USB DAC is always a USB peripheral, the smartphone / tablet has to act as a USB host.

The Galaxy S3, for instance, is a USB On-The-Go device. A USB OTG device can act as a USB host or as a USB peripheral.

Simply put, a USB OTG device like a Galaxy S3 can act acts as
. a USB peripheral when a Micro-B plug is inserted in the Micro-AB receptacle of the Galaxy S3 [regular cable]
. a USB host when a Micro-A plug is inserted in the Micro-AB receptacle of the Galaxy S3 [so-called "OTG cable"]

Micro-A plug, Micro-B plug:

The following cable seller has a right description of his cable:
http://cgi.ebay.fr/1ft-OTG-On-The-Go-Micro-USB-OTG-Cable-Samsung-i9100-Galaxy-Note-SII-XOOM-Nexus-7-/251098049983?pt=PDA_Accessories&hash=item3a769c2dbf

"What is the OTG Cable?
When attached to a PC an OTG device requires a cable which has a USB Standard-A plug on one end and a Micro-B plug on the other end.
In order to attach a peripheral to an OTG device the peripheral either needs to have a cable ending in a Micro-A plug which is inserted into the OTG device's Micro-AB receptacle
or the OTG device itself needs an adapter cable which has a Micro-A plug on one end and a Standard-A receptacle on the other.
The adapter cable enables any standard USB peripheral to be attached to an OTG device."

Make your own USB OTG cable (i.e. convert a Micro-B plug to a Micro-A plug) - Simple:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1806589

DanBa, I just had a nice chat with the rep at Lindy USA. He pointed out that the Lindy.fr cable we discuss above, while visually perfect, inside does not tie pins 4 and 5 together on the micro-USB end. And thus would not work for USB OTG. Those pins, as you show above, need to be tied together on the host end (and only on the host end). As far as we can tell, while we can draw a schematic for our desired micro-A-OTG to standard B (male to male), we haven't found them yet on this third rock from the sun. 

I think the best we can do is this cable http://www.cablewholesale.com/specs/usb-otg-adapter/30u2-21000.htm then use a standard size male A to male B. I'll PM you with his contact info. Lindy USA is 888-865-4639. They operate in 10 countries.  Anyway this is for people who want to drive desktop DACs which generally accept USB-standard-B-male. Their rep sometimes is active on head-fi as CableFinder and I have cc'ed him. I told him I would point him at our thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back