Analog Squared Paper Discussion Thread.
Aug 11, 2013 at 5:22 AM Post #1,606 of 3,813
i got a very nice email from shikada san, 

- with a great thank you for my recommendations
- that he always wants to support and build his amps based on 'the words of his customers'

his first priority is the 6.3 mm jack integration, and he mentioned that this eventually can be made also for the existing amps, he will check this.

he then will design a desktop version !!!!!

(i asked for this and my hope and wish to be customer #01)

Aug 11, 2013 at 6:00 AM Post #1,607 of 3,813
I've been skim reading since I'm on holidays but one potential reason why the TUR-06 is laid out as it is due to noise. I think wiring has to avoid transformers, capacitors, etc.

Aug 11, 2013 at 7:00 AM Post #1,608 of 3,813
I sent to Shikada the pictures of the "shrinked" TUR-06 and i got from him this very positive reply:

" Your advice is great! ( Picture is also nice! )
In fact, I'm sure that I can be reduced a little more.
However,  I had not put in the photograph, the Li-ion battery is disposed to be leaning the amplifier module.
In addition, I left the space to accommodate the jack of 6.3mm."

Great Guy !!! :)

Aug 11, 2013 at 10:52 AM Post #1,609 of 3,813
Great posts guys and I think I will send a message to Shikada san to see if he is able to replace my broken HP socket with a 6.3mm one. Though both the headphones I use (T5P/PF,IX) on this amp use mini jacks I have adaptors that I can use and the 6.3mm is much more stable over the long run. If he is not quite there yet with the 6.3mm no biggie I will make do with the 3.5mm.

Also, fascinated that he is going to do a desk top version, I am fine with how it is for the way I live my life but a desk top version would be great and I have always had a feeling this amp would be wonderful with a pair of horn speakers!

My only thing with the desk top is that I hope he retains battery power as I think in a large part that is the secret to its silent running. Perhaps adopting what Nagra do with their amps (or used to) and I believe RWA with theirs.

Aug 11, 2013 at 11:50 AM Post #1,610 of 3,813
shikada san in the email where he mentioned the desktop version especially asked why battery powered in my idea, this is what i wrote as answer to shikada san:
----------

One of the best abilities of the tu-05 is the ability to provide lots of power for short, hard hitting bass pulses.

If you listen to telarc, erich kunzel, tschaikowskj 1812, ouverture, the tu-05 is the only headphone amp i own to play this with nearly no distortion.

I have a long term experience both in listening to amplifiers and headphones, but also in electronic measurement systems and power supply optimization.

I am pretty sure that you can greatly improve the desktop version bringing it to a new, next level by

- double mono design, absolutely separated channels (okay, one volume knob), each mono block with at least the battery capacity the tu-05 has now

- bigger capacitors (per channel)

- more space, clearer separation between df91 stage and dl92 stage

- charge on/off switch with relais (driven by the chargers power) or just a switch to operate the amp in pure battery mode

- external power supply, removable, connected with jack, NOT integrated into the amp, but better quality than now, you should design your own power supply as extra stage to provide even more current!

If you want to optimize the power path, it is very important to have really thick ground lines and power cables, to provide really the same ground on all points independent of current flow.

If i were you, i would use for example the above mentioned 1812 ouverture, if the power part and amp can play this without any distortion or dynamic compression, then you are in audio heaven.

Benefits:

Battery operation - no hum, great bass and impulse capabilities, no noise, stable and homogenous sound and soundstage

Mono design, more distance between amplification stages - - better channel separation, improved soundstage width and depth

Minimized crosstalk, especially for current hungry impulses

--------------

p.s. 2x 30 mW output for two hornspeakers ? will that work?

Aug 11, 2013 at 12:14 PM Post #1,611 of 3,813
Now, that would be my home amp for when I return to Europe! Don't forget to add speaker taps for high sensitivity horn speakers.. Can you imagine that amp with widebanders!!

Aug 11, 2013 at 12:32 PM Post #1,612 of 3,813
beg your pardon, but i can not, it's not enough output power i think. the most efficient speakers i know need at least 1 watt for high volume. the 30 mW may be okay for low volume level listening, but not for loud pulses, bass etc. .

but maybe shikada san can push the dl92's to their limit, i think they can provide about 100 mW.

and to be honest when he wrote 'i will design a desktop version' i assumed 'of the tu-05', but at the end i don't know.

? another topic on our wish list ?

p.s. i think part of the great design is to use the tubes he had selected, but on the other hand the tubes are limited in output power.

edit:
the max. output power limit of the dl92 is 270 mW.

Aug 11, 2013 at 12:42 PM Post #1,613 of 3,813
shh, that's a shame, though I am sure I read somewhere the the amp was seen powering speakers.

Aug 11, 2013 at 12:48 PM Post #1,614 of 3,813
At the moment Ian I suspect that the Bakoon Audio AMP-11R would sate your desire to drive horn loudspeakers and the headphone out is phenomenally good too, but alas it's mains powered.

http://www.bakoonproducts.com/product/amp-11r/

There is of course the Bakoon HPA-21 which is battery driven and 6moons rave about it, but alas there are no speaker taps - http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/bakoon3/1.html

Actually, looking at the Bakoon prices makes me realize just what an audio bargain the TU-05 is.

Cheers,
Andy. 

Quote:
Now, that would be my home amp for when I return to Europe! Don't forget to add speaker taps for high sensitivity horn speakers.. Can you imagine that amp with widebanders!!

Aug 11, 2013 at 1:57 PM Post #1,616 of 3,813
Andy, those look fascinating, I will take a look, GG, what a great idea to make it a pre amp. Now, how about he makes a power amp to match using 300B's!!

Whenever I look at other amps I keep thinking as Andy does, what a bargain we have got in this amp. I truly mean it when I compare it to the Nagra PL-P. It has that silence and clean feeling about it and yet is so musically involving, I can't wait to get mine back!

Aug 11, 2013 at 3:18 PM Post #1,617 of 3,813
Quote:
At the moment Ian I suspect that the Bakoon Audio AMP-11R would sate your desire to drive horn loudspeakers and the headphone out is phenomenally good too, but alas it's mains powered.

http://www.bakoonproducts.com/product/amp-11r/

There is of course the Bakoon HPA-21 which is battery driven and 6moons rave about it, but alas there are no speaker taps - http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/bakoon3/1.html

Actually, looking at the Bakoon prices makes me realize just what an audio bargain the TU-05 is.

Cheers,
Andy. 

Very interesting this Bakoon HPA-21.  What a nice battery powered Amp.  I wonder how it will compeet against our "little" TU-05 ?

Aug 11, 2013 at 6:20 PM Post #1,619 of 3,813
hi all!

nine brimar df91 with stamp left / available:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/1T4-DF91-BRIMAR-VALVULAS-ELECTRONIC-TUBES-UNIDAD/360704211818?_trksid=p5197.m1992&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D14%26meid%3D501974281048866552%26pid%3D100015%26prg%3D1006%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D10%26sd%3D360704211818%26

Aug 11, 2013 at 6:49 PM Post #1,620 of 3,813
Not yet GG, I normally find mail from Austria next door to you takes about ten days to get to me.

I just sent a request for shipping charges on those Brimars, would love them for their rarity and I know Brimars sound good as well, he does not indicate what shipping is to North America.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back