Analog Squared Paper Discussion Thread.
Aug 10, 2013 at 5:17 PM Post #1,591 of 3,813
bmichels - sorry for my bad explanation - if the bottom side is where the battery is placed and the the amp is standing on i called the top side the small side that is on top.

so in your right picture if you rotate the volume knob 90 degrees left the knob is one the top small side as if this were the small front panel of the amp. and then left to the volume knob on the picturethe jacks. 

so the amp gets as small as possible, but okay, i mentioned to use a new housing, the pcb of the tubes must be mounted in a way that you can swing up it to change tubes.

i really thought of rearranging the components in a small box to get it as portable as possible.

Aug 10, 2013 at 5:20 PM Post #1,592 of 3,813
Quote:
I'm going green!!!
biggrin.gif

Shikada san will change my LED's to green, it means the amp will be gone a little longer but I can live with that!

So, edit to this, Just had a note from Shikada san saying he thought I meant just the volume knob. It turns out he would have to rebuild the amp board to do green LED's for the tubes and I do not want him to go to the extra time and effort for that as he is not charging me for this change and also he has lots of new amps to build and I do not want to slow production!

So, I am going old school, to amps I remember when I was a lad that had orange glowing tubes and a green led on off light glowing. The volume knob will glow green, the tubes orange, I must say, I am even more excited about that! Ya gotta have a bit of colour in your life!

I found an image of another amp with this effect, I think it looks great!

Ian, I suspect your color combo will be quite attractive. I'm envious!! The orange and gree reminds me of AnakChan's avatar, one of my favorites.

Quote:
My TU-05 should be sent this coming week, from my recent email exchanges with Shikada-san. He is such a sweet guy! Email communications with him is always a pleasure!

This is one of the most anticipated products of the year, for me................

Hopefully with good reason. I am very interested in your impressions. I discussed this concept with Ian a few weeks ago, but even today, this amp still has the 'new car' feeling.

Quote:

Here we are GermanGuy:    Your solution on the right and mine on the left.  Your solution has to be larger because the volume knob is against the tube wall.

Note: I did not understand where you want to put the connectors, so I did not implemented them. Let me know and I will add them.

rolleyes.gif

bigsmile_face.gif

bmichels & GG, great work. I am really enjoying the "crowd-sourced engineering" you all are providing.

Quote:
Excellent sleuthing and great deduction Ian. Thank you so much for shedding a modicum of light on the valves provenance.

I too wondered whether the stamps were added to artificially hike up the eBay price, but as each valve was only 4 Euros, I dismissed this theory rather quickly. What intrigues me is that the paper stamp appears to have been over-marked with an ink stamp, which suggests authenticity to me. Anyway, I have emailed the valve photo's to Steve at Mullard Magic and eagerly await his expert opinion.

Cheers,
Andy

Ian & Andy, very interesting as well. Thanks for posting that info/pics, etc.

Finally, I acquired a pair of Cifte IT4's. These, combined with the Siemens DL92, sound fantastic. Might be my new goto combo.

Aug 10, 2013 at 5:33 PM Post #1,593 of 3,813
WC, I am so glad your enjoying the Cifte's, they are identical in sound to my Mazda's and they have proved to be my favourite 1T4 so far!
I am glad you like the colour combo, I can't wait to get it back and see what it looks like in real life!

Aug 10, 2013 at 5:45 PM Post #1,595 of 3,813
Quote:
WC, I am so glad your enjoying the Cifte's, they are identical in sound to my Mazda's and they have proved to be my favourite 1T4 so far!
I am glad you like the colour combo, I can't wait to get it back and see what it looks like in real life!

Looking forward to the photos!!

Edit: enjoying the Cifte's as I type. Thanks!

Aug 10, 2013 at 5:46 PM Post #1,596 of 3,813
so the one on the left, is it meant to be that the volume is on the top?

Aug 10, 2013 at 6:00 PM Post #1,598 of 3,813
beg you pardon for my limited english to write exactly what i want to say:

think of my picture as you would see an amp standing on a table with the small rear side, so the front panel would be the opposite small side with the volume knob (on top of the picture).

and the area above the tubes left of the potentiometer could be used for the jacks.

Aug 10, 2013 at 6:03 PM Post #1,599 of 3,813
Ahh, I think I get you!
I must say, I think what with tube rolling, supports and now this this must be one of the most inventive threads outside the DIY forum!

As for me it is frustrating as Canada posts website is down so I can't check the progress of my amp!

Aug 10, 2013 at 6:29 PM Post #1,602 of 3,813
today i did it and listened to

- colorfly c4 alone 6.3 mm out

- c4 - alo continental v2

- c4 - tu-05

oh my god!

once again the colorfly is an excellent source and also the big 6.3 mm headphone out is excellent.

but the alo continental v2 - now after i got used to the tu-05 sound quality the alo c v2 sounds veiled and muddy, warm, unprecise - what a shock in comparison.

c4 - tu05 - it was good to listen to the c4 alone before to really hear again, that the tu-05 really improves all aspects of the sound, soundstage, precision, bass quality and texture, detail and micro detail, ... .

Aug 10, 2013 at 6:40 PM Post #1,603 of 3,813
Photos of my new favorite combo and tube.

As per usual WC, your photography leaves me in Awe, beautiful shot and it makes me miss mine so much, oh how i want August to fly by! What is your source in this shot?

today i did it and listened to

- colorfly c4 alone 6.3 mm out

- c4 - alo continental v2

- c4 - tu-05

oh my god!

once again the colorfly is an excellent source and also the big 6.3 mm headphone out is excellent.

but the alo continental v2 - now after i got used to the tu-05 sound quality the alo c v2 sounds veiled and muddy, warm, unprecise - what a shock in comparison.

c4 - tu05 - it was good to listen to the c4 alone before to really hear again, that the tu-05 really improves all aspects of the sound, soundstage, precision, bass quality and texture, detail and micro detail, ... .

GG, what great insights, really useful for folks looking into this amp.
Of course the real competitor to the Continental V2 is the 06 and I am looking forward to hearing how they stack up against each other, Going by Anak's brief impressions I have a feeling the 06 will leave the continental for dust!

On another subject, boy have I been drooling over Shikada sans images of those Japanese tubes, how I would love a complete TEN set!

Aug 10, 2013 at 7:08 PM Post #1,605 of 3,813
You know, it looked bigger than that, thats why I was wondering! I what a sound must come out of that combination!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back