Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-3
Aug 3, 2013 at 4:53 AM Post #751 of 1,285
If you love the Momentums you probably won't like the LCD-3's. The LCD-3's are way brighter, have less bass and a lot more soundstage.

Aug 3, 2013 at 5:01 AM Post #752 of 1,285
Quote:
If you love the Momentums you probably won't like the LCD-3's. The LCD-3's are way brighter, have less bass and a lot more soundstage.

HE-400 are also a favorite, though it could be a little bit better on the mids. How do they compare?

Aug 3, 2013 at 6:06 AM Post #753 of 1,285
The LCD-3 and Momentum aren't that far apart on tonal balance...

Not sure how liking one of the better closed headphones would mean you don't like one of the better open ones.

Aug 3, 2013 at 6:19 AM Post #754 of 1,285
I have both the LCD-3 and Momentum and the graphs don't tell the story straight. LCD-3 has tight bass, neutralish sound signature and a pretty big soundstage. Momentum has a boomy and exagerated bass, warm sound signature with recessed treble and sound congested. What I'm trying to say is if he likes the Momentum's bass then he might not like the LCD-3 which has both less and tighter bass.

Aug 3, 2013 at 7:12 AM Post #755 of 1,285
You mean their price tags reflect actual performance?  Crazy talk :p  Think he'd prefer an HD800 or HE-6?  Pretty sure they're brighter than the LCD-3, just saying :wink:

Aug 3, 2013 at 8:22 AM Post #757 of 1,285
I got a chance to listen to the HD800 (and i think may be able to get a listen to the TH900) and i liked them too, just a bit sibilant for my tastes. Couldn't try too much music though, they only had Queen, some jazz, and some classical. 

For what it's worth, i really enjoyed the IE800. Yeah, i know they're iems, but i just loved the sound on them, even straight off my phone. 

I considered the HE-6 but i honestly don't like spending more on an amp than the headphone itself, so i ended up deciding not to get them. 

Oh, and i asked the same question about amps on reddit's subreddit for headphones, and some guy complained to me how what i was doing was helping the inflation of prices by buying such expensive amps/dacs, lol. 

Aug 3, 2013 at 9:55 AM Post #758 of 1,285
What I'm saying is that he should listen to them first, see if he likes them :)

Aug 3, 2013 at 10:07 AM Post #759 of 1,285
Quote:
What I'm saying is that he should listen to them first, see if he likes them
smily_headphones1.gif

That's the thing though, i don't know where to audition the schiit, nor the lcd-3. Has anyone ever been to the actual headphones.com store in new jersey? were you able to listen to the lcd 3?

Aug 3, 2013 at 4:57 PM Post #761 of 1,285
Darth:

You can audition the LCD-3, LCD-2, HD800 and the HE-400, -500, and/or -6's via The Cable Company's library.  You call them, they send them to you for at least 2 weekends (maybe longer, depending on who's waiting for them, and how good you are at begging for more time).  Costs you shipping and 5% of the cost of the headphones, but the 5% will be applied to whatever you buy from them.  Since those headphones aren't usually discounted anywhere anyway, you might as well buy them there, and it will only cost you shipping, about $30(?) if you bring in 3-4 headphones to compare. 

They have the Burson Conductor in the lending library as well, that's where I got my audition unit.  The Soloist is the amp part of the Conductor, so you can hear what it sounds like with and without Burson's DAC.  The added shipping cost will be minimal. 

Schiit provides a 30-day trial, and if you end up not liking their stuff, that costs you shipping + 5% restocking as well.  Trying the MJ cost me ~$105, because I sent it back.  You could end up demoing the Burson vs. Schiit amp/DAC combos and 3-4 headphones for ~$150 or less (way less if you keep the Schiit hardware) in total shipping/return costs.  Then you get to decide what you like the best by listening to the equipment itself, not us opinionated blabbermouths. 

Aug 3, 2013 at 9:19 PM Post #762 of 1,285
Quote:
The LCD-3 and Momentum aren't that far apart on tonal balance...

Not sure how liking one of the better closed headphones would mean you don't like one of the better open ones.

That's why I love 'em both!

Aug 3, 2013 at 11:17 PM Post #763 of 1,285
But...i don't want to spend $150 (kind of a cheap ass for that stuff). Anyway, i got all my other headphones via opinions from here, so it's fine. 

I guess seeing what i listen to would help: Electronic (both bassy and non-bassy subgenres), Hip Hop, Alt. Rock, Metal, Classical, Modern Jazz, Indie, Folk, and a little bit of indie pop. So i have a wide amount of genres that i listen to, yet i mostly listen to the first three genres i mentioned, with some mixture of Metal and Indie/Folk

I've been stepping away from dubstep and DnB type genre's though, so for electronic i've been listening to things like Boards of Canada, Aphex Twin, Purity Ring, Atoms for Peace (not strictly electronic but whatever), and Anamanaguchi. 

For hip hop, i listen to everything from stupid bangers (A$AP) to more chill stuff (Chance the Rapper) to hard hitting stuff (Yeezus, Death Grips), etc etc. Hard hitting beats are nice but they don't need to pummel my ears or anything.

As for rock, metal, indie, and folk, i listen mostly to Radiohead (favorite band), Deafheaven, Arcade Fire, and Fleet Foxes. 

Hip hop has kind of been my main genre for a few weeks or so, but i definitely change it up when i'm in the mood. LCD-3 sounds the best to me, simply because the TH-900 hits too hard (apparently) and the HD800 burns my ears. As for the amp, i think the mjolnir and a bifrost would help give the lcd-3 an aggressive addition to it, so really it gains what most people complain about: Bass impact. 

All assumptions, of course

Aug 4, 2013 at 8:49 AM Post #764 of 1,285
Quote:
But...i don't want to spend $150 (kind of a cheap ass for that stuff). Anyway, i got all my other headphones via opinions from here, so it's fine. 

I guess seeing what i listen to would help: Electronic (both bassy and non-bassy subgenres), Hip Hop, Alt. Rock, Metal, Classical, Modern Jazz, Indie, Folk, and a little bit of indie pop. So i have a wide amount of genres that i listen to, yet i mostly listen to the first three genres i mentioned, with some mixture of Metal and Indie/Folk

I've been stepping away from dubstep and DnB type genre's though, so for electronic i've been listening to things like Boards of Canada, Aphex Twin, Purity Ring, Atoms for Peace (not strictly electronic but whatever), and Anamanaguchi. 

For hip hop, i listen to everything from stupid bangers (A$AP) to more chill stuff (Chance the Rapper) to hard hitting stuff (Yeezus, Death Grips), etc etc. Hard hitting beats are nice but they don't need to pummel my ears or anything.

As for rock, metal, indie, and folk, i listen mostly to Radiohead (favorite band), Deafheaven, Arcade Fire, and Fleet Foxes. 

Hip hop has kind of been my main genre for a few weeks or so, but i definitely change it up when i'm in the mood. LCD-3 sounds the best to me, simply because the TH-900 hits too hard (apparently) and the HD800 burns my ears. As for the amp, i think the mjolnir and a bifrost would help give the lcd-3 an aggressive addition to it, so really it gains what most people complain about: Bass impact. 

All assumptions, of course

Can you swing the Gungnir over the Bifrost?  That would most likely be the best upgrade you can do at this point..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back