Au = Gold (Latin Aurum) on the periodic table of elements Au, 79

smile.gif

Thanks MH.....
beerchug.gif
 I'm all good now 
blink.gif
 I think

Aug 2, 2013 at 2:53 AM Post #738 of 1,285
Ugh, too much work finding an amp/dac...for $1000... (burson 1793 is top choice even though it is slightly over)...

the gs-x mk2 takes way too much time to deliver and iirc doesn't come with an dac...damn.

Mjolnir + Bifrost is apparently not very good with the lcd-3 (too aggressive)

DACmini has a weak amp

I'm willing to go a little over now with my budget

Aug 2, 2013 at 3:09 AM Post #740 of 1,285
Quote:
Ugh, too much work finding an amp/dac...for $1000... (burson 1793 is top choice even though it is slightly over)...

the gs-x mk2 takes way too much time to deliver and iirc doesn't come with an dac...damn.

Mjolnir + Bifrost is apparently not very good with the lcd-3 (too aggressive)

DACmini has a weak amp

I'm willing to go a little over now with my budget

Don't let this fool you.  It's a good combo.  Lots of people love it.  

Aug 2, 2013 at 3:36 AM Post #743 of 1,285
Speaking of amps for the LCD-3....I've got the Decware Taboo mk III in the house. So probably no sleep tonight.

First impressions are very positive, but I'll keep my mouth shut for a couple weeks until I can make any sensible remarks. About that time I'll get some tube rolling going as well. But the stock configuration seems pretty damn good.

Aug 2, 2013 at 7:05 AM Post #745 of 1,285
So far it looks like the Mjolnir + Bifrost, i guess. Gungnir is way too much for me to get it, so i guess that's that. 

Any other options?

Aug 2, 2013 at 10:18 AM Post #746 of 1,285
So far it looks like the Mjolnir + Bifrost, i guess. Gungnir is way too much for me to get it, so i guess that's that. 

Any other options?

Darth, I really like the Audio-gd SA-31. I've been using it for a couple months now and have no complaints. It really works well with the LCD-2/LCD-3, imho. Gobs of clean power and great soundstage. You can adjust the warmth with jumpers in three settings to fine tune it to your taste. Kingwa Makes some decent stuff. It's about $500 plus shipping which leaves some left towards the DAC.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/617667/audio-gd-sa-31-head-amp-preamp-a-powerfull-head-amp-with-diamond-difference-design

Aug 2, 2013 at 11:22 AM Post #748 of 1,285
current, voltage, class A...

original single ended dynahi

plus and minus 30 volt power supplies
300 ma class A bias, all Japanese transistors.
bipolar output transistors that output about 56 volts peak to peak.
no current limit of any kind, power output continues to double all
the way down to 8 ohms.

So for music, this is 600 ma peak to peak maximum class A current.
or 18 watts peak to peak of PURE CLASS A into 50 ohms.  6.42 watts RMS.
just about right for HE6. I still use one of these amps to drive my pair of
quad ESL63. Very sweet.

wanna bridge it (balance), guess what, current still stays the same, but voltage doubles.

current version supersymmetry dynahi with all on-semi transistors and off board
heatsinks is 600ma of class A bias. 1.2 amps of peak to peak maximum class A current.
25 watts of class A power into 50 ohms. Enough to burn out both your ears and your
headphones at the same time.

Aug 2, 2013 at 12:34 PM Post #749 of 1,285
I've said it before here but I get seriously great sound from Ray's B52 with the LCD3. 
I think it is the best phone for this amp by far, and it's one of those great amp-phone matchings that seem like the amp and phone were made for each other.
The bass is especially profound and clear, but the rest of the spectrum is great and alive also.
(The LCD3 is high impedance, and that helps with the B52.)

Aug 3, 2013 at 4:28 AM Post #750 of 1,285
I think the LCD-3 + Schiit Mjolnir/Bifrost is going to be my set up. Reading up on how the schiit makes the lcd more aggressive makes me want them more, electronic and hip hop looks to be a fun experience on them. But the reason why i won't get the TH-900 instead is due to the coloration, listening to my Momentum's made me realize that i love neutral headphones with strong bass. So i guess that's it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back