Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-3
Feb 12, 2019 at 4:34 PM Post #1,276 of 1,285
If I don't bail on the Planer Magnetics and go the Stax 009 Route, I'm pretty set on the Linear Tube Audio MicroZotl MZ3 headphone amplifier ($3700). It is fairly new and only a couple of reviews from consumers (but they are MAD for the MZ3, or the Preamplifier (that's the model name, $4495) which is essentially the same thing as the MZ3 with more functionality). I haven't seen any MZ3 reviews yet from the regular print media. I was going for the MZ2 ($2000 well-equipped) until the MZ3 came out (and I read a couple of the reviews). I think The Absolute Sound included the Linear Tube Audio MZ2 in one of their recommended headphone amplifier lists last year...

The sad thing now is, having upped my budget to $7,000 or so for the MZ3 and the HiFiMan HE1000se headphones, for nearly this same amount of money I can get the new Stax SR-009S headphones and a Woo Audio WES "energizer"! So, there's a dilemma...

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2019 at 2:52 PM Post #1,279 of 1,285
I get woo audio made a good joy to drive LCD3. My wa5 works well for it, and I would assume wa33 will do a good job too.

I’ve tried the LCD3f with several Woo amps - my original 6SE, then the WA22, and finally a WA5. The WA5 is wonderful - but every headphone I own sounds amazing on the WA5.

The WA22 is ok - but I find the LCD just loves the 1K headphone tap on the WA5 in order to get control of the bass. I used to think the LCD3 was a bit sloppy on the bass until I heard it on the WA5 using the 1K setting. I think it just likes more current.

The WA22 is no slouch but it doesn’t come alive with LCD3 the way its bigger brother does. I’ve tried tube rolling and it improved but didn’t match the smooth and musical WA5. I am not using it with balanced cables and that may be a reason I am not as thrilled with the pairing as I find the WA22 prefers a fully balanced setup (source and headphones) to shine. I prefer the WA22 on the Focal Clear, but my favorite pairing is the Senn HD650 on the WA22 - goosebumps.

I never enjoyed the WA6SE with LCD3 - it sounded flat and uninvolved even with tube rolling.

I would like to hear the LCD3 paired with Violetric 281. I did hear it on the Woo WA33 and very much enjoyed it.

I did notice a strong improvement using Cardas Clear HP cables.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2020 at 8:20 AM Post #1,280 of 1,285
I’ve tried the LCD3f with several Woo amps - my original 6SE, then the WA22, and finally a WA5. The WA5 is wonderful - but every headphone I own sounds amazing on the WA5.

The WA22 is ok - but I find the LCD just loves the 1K headphone tap on the WA5 in order to get control of the bass. I used to think the LCD3 was a bit sloppy on the bass until I heard it on the WA5 using the 1K setting. I think it just likes more current.

The WA22 is no slouch but it doesn’t come alive with LCD3 the way it’s bigger brother does. I’ve tried tube rolling and it improved but didn’t match the smooth and musical WA5. I am not using it with balanced cables and that may be a reason I am not as thrilled with the pairing as I find the WA22 prefers a fully balanced setup (source and headphones) to shine. I prefer the WA22 on the Focal Clear, but my favorite pairing is the Senn HD650 on the WA22 - goosebumps.

I never enjoyed the WA6SE with LCD3 - it sounded flat and uninvolved even with tube rolling.

I would like to hear the LCD3 paired with Violetric 281. I did hear it on the Woo WA33 and very much enjoyed it.

I did notice a strong improvement using Cardas Clear HP cables.

Funny thing, I listened to the WA5-LE at Shelley's Stereo with the LCD-4 since they didn't have the LCD-3 in the demo room, and just fell in love with it. I totally agree with you with the WA22, it sounds just a bit too dark and not as engaging. I do wish they have the WA6SE there so I can listen to it.

I'll come back there with my LCD-3 and Chord Qutest so I can have a proper listen between the WA5-LE and when they get the WA6SE.

Feb 27, 2020 at 9:09 AM Post #1,282 of 1,285
Funny thing, I listened to the WA5-LE at Shelley's Stereo with the LCD-4 since they didn't have the LCD-3 in the demo room, and just fell in love with it. I totally agree with you with the WA22, it sounds just a bit too dark and not as engaging. I do wish they have the WA6SE there so I can listen to it.

I'll come back there with my LCD-3 and Chord Qutest so I can have a proper listen between the WA5-LE and when they get the WA6SE.
Interesting. Did you prefer the WA22 to your own Cayin HA-300? I thought that was a top amp?
There are some excellent HP amps around. For the Abyss or LCD4 I like the JPS Labs Formula S, the Moon 600i Integrated.

Feb 27, 2020 at 1:59 PM Post #1,283 of 1,285
Interesting. Did you prefer the WA22 to your own Cayin HA-300? I thought that was a top amp?
There are some excellent HP amps around. For the Abyss or LCD4 I like the JPS Labs Formula S, the Moon 600i Integrated.

Oh no, I definitely prefer the HA-300 to the Woo Audio. It is a serious TOTL Amp and my LCD-3 has never sound this good. It's almost perfect, actually.

And this is on the stock tubes, too.

Apr 23, 2020 at 6:57 AM Post #1,285 of 1,285
I just got a Mjolnir V1 and i got a big channel imbalance with the lcd untill i reach the 3/4 of the volume knob, quite annoying.

I know I am quoting a post from 2016, but this honestly saved me a lot of worry and suspicion!
I just got the LCD-3 from another user here and I thought I was sold a dud unit with right-bias channel imbalance.
I connected it to my usual setup of Feliks Audio Echo (tube amp rated for 100-600 Ohm headphones) with sound supplied from the Aune S6 dac via USB. Bad channel imbalance no matter what I did: switched cables, plugged left into right. I normally listen with Aune at 50% and Echo with the knob at hour 9.
Then I plugged the LCD-3 straight into the Aune and... no imbalance. Changed cables, no imbalance. Put it back in Echo - imbalance.
Then I found the quoted comment and lowered the volume in the Aune while cranking up the volume in the Echo to 50%. Imbalance disappeared.
Much relief was had, thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back