Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-3
Jul 31, 2013 at 5:16 PM Post #691 of 1,285
Quote:
At this moment, I think the GS-1 is better or at least quite in the same place of the Soloist, however I may be wrong, I never heard 'em.
That Apex Peak, can you talk a little bit about it? Do you recommend the Volcano power suply for it as well?
Is the GS-X better than all those amps? I mean, the GS-X just lose to what? Liquid Glass and those hell expensive ones?

Soloist and the GS line share a very similar circuit.  You wouldn't be too far off the mark saying Burson's new understanding was finding the HeadWize article on the dynalo :wink:

I only heard the Peak with the Volcano so no idea what it adds.  Peak has the advantage of the tube input to tune the tonal balance.  I loved it but didn't want to deal with tubes anymore.

GS-X mk2 is the best head-amp/pre-amp commercially available... period.  When looking at Cavalli gear, take $2K-5K off the top to see the real value :p  They are priced based on selling very few units.  Where the GS-X mk2 is inexpensive for what it is because HeadAmp has sold hundreds of them over the years.

Jul 31, 2013 at 5:31 PM Post #692 of 1,285
Thank you so much for the answer!

Okay, the GS-X is the absolute amp, I read a review about it and seems that it really pairs nice with a lot of headphones also.
Oh, and what about the Mjolnir? There are lots of people who say that it's a really good match with the LCD-3.

Thank you so much. Have a good afternoon. And sorry for asking you that much.

Jul 31, 2013 at 6:02 PM Post #693 of 1,285
I thought the Mjolnir was good just too aggressive for me.  I like an alive dynamic sound that doesn't cross into aggressive or the other way into laid back.  The B22 and WA22 comes awful close to laid back for me.

Jul 31, 2013 at 6:09 PM Post #695 of 1,285
Quote:

GS-X mk2 is the best head-amp/pre-amp commercially available... period.

eek.gif

Jul 31, 2013 at 6:20 PM Post #696 of 1,285
The only other one I could think of in the running would be the ECBA but I haven't heard one.  Anecdotally they also don't pop on the for sale very often.  But I also don't know how many are out in the wild.  Kevin is pretty high on the Audio-GD Master 1 and 8 too, very Krell like.

Jul 31, 2013 at 9:19 PM Post #698 of 1,285
Quote:
Have you heard it?

Have you heard a good dac/amp beyond a sound card? 
size]

Sorry, the HA-160 hardly counts as a good comparative example with a whopping 200mW and horrible performance.

Jul 31, 2013 at 10:10 PM Post #700 of 1,285
Quote:

GS-X mk2 is the best head-amp/pre-amp commercially available... period.  When looking at Cavalli gear, take $2K-5K off the top to see the real value :p  They are priced based on selling very few units.  Where the GS-X mk2 is inexpensive for what it is because HeadAmp has sold hundreds of them over the years.

nope, they are priced this way because this is what it costs to build the very best high end product. No short cuts, immaculate engineering and the best sound reproduction possible ( and no this is not only my personal opinion ) .

I accept everyone is entitled to their own opinion , Alex's gear is expensive but it reflects the value of the product and provides exactly it claims to do. 

..dB

Jul 31, 2013 at 10:22 PM Post #701 of 1,285
Quote:

nope, they are priced this way because this is what it costs to build the very best high end product. No short cuts, immaculate engineering and the best sound reproduction possible ( and no this is not only my personal opinion ) .

I accept everyone is entitled to their own opinion , Alex's gear is expensive but it reflects the value of the product and provides exactly it claims to do. 

..dB

Sorry, but both Solude and I owned the Liquid Fire (I liked it, him not so much 
size]
), but at $3250, I would say that the "value proposition" was certainly lacking. No offence intended, but that's how we see it.

It would be nice if manufacturers (and their associates) let us talk about gear on this site and let their products speak for themselves (imagine that?). I don't see Sennheiser or Burson commenting here when some post that they don't like their products. I've had this happen to me on another thread by another manufacturer (associated with Cavalli Audio) and I'm not sure if that's the way you guys want to do things, but definitely NOT cool in my books!

Jul 31, 2013 at 10:28 PM Post #702 of 1,285
Thank you all so much.
For now, I have quite a bit information I need, I will stay with the GS-1 until I will be able to buy the GS-X. (Have I made an english mistake here? I'm not sure.)
There is someone I know that have the GS-X, maybe I'll give a listen.

Oh, there is difference between the normal, MkII, and those Alpha and DACT versions?

Thank you again, so kind of you. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 31, 2013 at 11:08 PM Post #703 of 1,285
Quote:
Sorry, but ...... see above

This is not really the thread to discuss cavalli products but I will set the record straight. The original chassis design of the LF was not liked by all. A lot of money was spent to make the chassis "seamless" but the community voted and the aesthetic lost. The new generation amps are leagues apart and I would suggest taking a close look at one. You know well that the first 3 LGs suffered a ground noise - Alex announced this, stopped production to find the source and offered everyone a full refund. After he had fixed it , he ensured everyone was satisfied. I have read time and again of how exemplary his customer service is. I should also clarify that I am here as a headfier, I do not own any part of Cavalli Audio but am a close friend of Alex. I have, at times, helped out in the background of my own free will and time. I do agree however that products should speak for themselves and be given a fair chance ( imagine that ) . I have not personally heard the new gsxii , the original was not "my cup of tea" , I will give the next one a fair hearing when I have the opportunity. as for associated companies, more is read into these perceptions than ought to be. 

I would agree that the LCD3 sound good on many amps but not the best they can. I also think they can sound exceptional but this ( again to my preferences ) requires that they be modded and matched with the right gear. 

..dB

Jul 31, 2013 at 11:13 PM Post #704 of 1,285
Quote:

This is not really the thread to discuss cavalli products but I will set the record straight. The original chassis design of the LF was not liked by all. A lot of money was spent to make the chassis "seamless" but the community voted and the aesthetic lost. The new generation amps are leagues apart and I would suggest taking a close look at one. You know well that the first 3 LGs suffered a ground noise - Alex announced this and stopped production to find the source, then fixed it and ensured everyone was satisfied. I have read time and again of how exemplary his customer service is. I should also clarify that I am here as a headfier, I do not own any part of Cavalli Audio but am a close friend of Alex. I have, at times, helped out in the background of my own free will and time. I do agree however that products should speak for themselves and be given a fair chance ( imagine that ) . I have not personally heard the new gsxii , the original was not "my cup of tea" , I will give the next one a fair hearing when I have the opportunity. as for associated companies, more is read into these perceptions than ought to be. 

I would agree that the LCD3 sound good on many amps but not the best they can. I also think they can sound exceptional but this ( again to my preferences ) requires that they be modded and matched with the right gear. 

..dB

So the new generation is leagues apart? How does that make owners feel who ponied up big bucks just last year? What does that say about this year's crop and amps to be released in 2014? That was a biggie for me as well. First off, you drop a bundle on a new amp that you feel you overpaid, and then bang a few months later a MKII is announced. Then your resale drops and then what? Sorry, but these aren't iPod prices we're paying for here. How should owners of existing products take that comment?

BTW, if you didn't like the GS-X, you likely won't like the GS-X MKII (which was released many years after the GS-X)....it really doesn't have a sound of its own. It's about as transparent and neutral amp I've heard...YMMV of course. 
size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back