Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-3
Nov 27, 2011 at 5:34 PM Post #32 of 1,285
I tried NOS Mullards and Siemens (gold pin, halske). Siemens offers the widest soundstage, best transient response and extension on either end. I've also listened to NOS Tungsram (red print, Hungarian). They had more bass, at the expense of overall definition.

Quote:
I have ordered the Liquid Fire and once I get it, I will compare it with the Leben. To those who already has the Liquid Fire LCD3 combo, would appreciate if you can let me know which tubes sound best on it. Thanks!

Nov 27, 2011 at 9:00 PM Post #33 of 1,285

Quote:
I tried NOS Mullards and Siemens (gold pin, halske). Siemens offers the widest soundstage, best transient response and extension on either end. I've also listened to NOS Tungsram (red print, Hungarian). They had more bass, at the expense of overall definition.

Great information, Good to know.

Nov 27, 2011 at 9:20 PM Post #35 of 1,285
I tried Phonitor at DMA Audio the other day but wasn't very impressed. I heard that it was a good match with the HD800, but with the LCD3 it wasn't very good. The sound is just on par with the stock headphone out of the Benchmark DAC1. I did not look into the crossfeed settings but at the original setting the Phonitor sounds quite underwhelming.

Nov 28, 2011 at 5:47 AM Post #36 of 1,285
For a good ss amp at this range, I'll recommend Violectric V200.

Nov 29, 2011 at 3:45 AM Post #37 of 1,285
Has anyone heard of this amp - MalValve Head Amp Three?

http://www.digital-highend.de/start/2011/10/doppelpremiere-auf-dem-analog-forum-krefeld-2011-malvalve-head-amp-three-audeze-lcd-3/

Apparently, MalValve is a respectable audio company based in Germany, and it seems they made inroads into the headphone industry with their new headphone amp, the Head Amp Three. According to Audez'e, their new LCD-3 was featured with this particular amp at an audio show held in Germany recently. MalValve hasn't posted info regarding the Head Amp Three on their official website yet, but you can contact them at info@malvalve.com and ask them. They sent me a pdf file that has all the information I need.

As the company's name implies, it's a fully tube (a total of 10 tubes), fully balanced amp with two input and two output transformers, a digital display for input, mode, and volume, both RCA and XLR inputs, a remote control, two single-ended 1/4" outputs, two 4-pin balanced XLR outputs, and a special output for Stax electrostats. Not only can this amp drive all dynamic, magnetostatic (orthodynamic), and electrostatic headphones available in the market, you can actually plug, say... an HD800, a T1, an HE-6, an LCD-3, and an SR-009 into one amp at the same time altogether!

From a German review article which was translated into English at the courtesy of Google Translate, this amp is a high power amp that can drive virtually every headphone in the world (I guess with the exception of Sennheiser Orpheus which has its own unique headphone jack), in any range of impedance, and even orthodynamics with the lowest sensitivity such as those from Hifiman. Especially, the matching of this amp to the LCD-3 seems to be absolutely stunning.

Now I tend to take such reviews of new products with a grain of salt, but the fact that Audez'e chose this particular, relatively little known headphone amp to advertise their tour de force, the LCD-3, out of all those well-established amps out there is something worthy of note. I mean, I looked up "MalValve" and there was not a single thread in the entire Head-fi that mentioned it at all! I think I'm the first guy ever to bring this up here in the forums.

As for the price, it's (cough) 4,000 euros including VAT. Not as expensive as Apex Pinnacle or the new Woo monoblocks, but I think it's a bit too steep for my wallet now... Is there anyone brave enough to be the first Head-fi reviewer for this unexpected newcomer?

Nov 29, 2011 at 10:28 AM Post #39 of 1,285

Quote:
Has anyone heard of this amp - MalValve Head Amp Three?

http://www.digital-highend.de/start/2011/10/doppelpremiere-auf-dem-analog-forum-krefeld-2011-malvalve-head-amp-three-audeze-lcd-3/

Apparently, MalValve is a respectable audio company based in Germany, and it seems they made inroads into the headphone industry with their new headphone amp, the Head Amp Three. According to Audez'e, their new LCD-3 was featured with this particular amp at an audio show held in Germany recently. MalValve hasn't posted info regarding the Head Amp Three on their official website yet, but you can contact them at info@malvalve.com and ask them. They sent me a pdf file that has all the information I need.

As the company's name implies, it's a fully tube (a total of 10 tubes), fully balanced amp with two input and two output transformers, a digital display for input, mode, and volume, both RCA and XLR inputs, a remote control, two single-ended 1/4" outputs, two 4-pin balanced XLR outputs, and a special output for Stax electrostats. Not only can this amp drive all dynamic, magnetostatic (orthodynamic), and electrostatic headphones available in the market, you can actually plug, say... an HD800, a T1, an HE-6, an LCD-3, and an SR-009 into one amp at the same time altogether!

From a German review article which was translated into English at the courtesy of Google Translate, this amp is a high power amp that can drive virtually every headphone in the world (I guess with the exception of Sennheiser Orpheus which has its own unique headphone jack), in any range of impedance, and even orthodynamics with the lowest sensitivity such as those from Hifiman. Especially, the matching of this amp to the LCD-3 seems to be absolutely stunning.

Now I tend to take such reviews of new products with a grain of salt, but the fact that Audez'e chose this particular, relatively little known headphone amp to advertise their tour de force, the LCD-3, out of all those well-established amps out there is something worthy of note. I mean, I looked up "MalValve" and there was not a single thread in the entire Head-fi that mentioned it at all! I think I'm the first guy ever to bring this up here in the forums.

As for the price, it's (cough) 4,000 euros including VAT. Not as expensive as Apex Pinnacle or the new Woo monoblocks, but I think it's a bit too steep for my wallet now... Is there anyone brave enough to be the first Head-fi reviewer for this unexpected newcomer?

That looks like a great AMP. But for a price like this, I wonder where can people audition it
rolleyes.gif
 before making a move.

Dec 3, 2011 at 5:47 AM Post #40 of 1,285
Maybe it's a gross over-generalisation, but I found with the LCD-3s that any amp with at least a healthy 2W or so (recommended) output sounds good, just the different amps are like different flavours. Unexpectedly, I have been liking the LCD-3s considerably with the Stacker II with its impactful bass and mellow treble. 

Dec 3, 2011 at 1:34 PM Post #41 of 1,285

Quote:
Maybe it's a gross over-generalisation, but I found with the LCD-3s that any amp with at least a healthy 2W or so (recommended) output sounds good, just the different amps are like different flavours. Unexpectedly, I have been liking the LCD-3s considerably with the Stacker II with its impactful bass and mellow treble. 

How about a portable amp?  I have a HM-801, I'm not sure it will drive the LCD-3? It definitely drives Denon's D7000 but seemed to struggle a bit with Sennheiser HD800, but I found non portable amps also seemed to struggle. 

Dec 3, 2011 at 1:39 PM Post #42 of 1,285
Just got the report from our member that the V181 didn't satisfy the LCD3.

Dec 4, 2011 at 1:09 PM Post #43 of 1,285
Hm. V181 @ 50 ohm: 2100mW

Not enough = Didn't satisfy? Hm.

Dec 4, 2011 at 8:02 PM Post #44 of 1,285
Maybe he didn't care for the sound. I've heard lots of amps in my time that could drive a nail into the ground with their current capabilities, but sounded like two garbage can lids being banged together. 

An amps ability to drive a difficult load doesn't at all ensure that it will make music. 

Dec 8, 2011 at 4:48 AM Post #45 of 1,285
Burn in could be an issue, will see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back