Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
Feb 13, 2013 at 5:57 PM Post #5,491 of 9,207
I'd want to do a Cherry to match my Harbeths (or maybe an Ash to match the Leben) in the modern case.

Quote:
Absolutely. But also imagine the white stripped down and varnished Rosewood styley aswell....

It just looks so classy. I mean who would have thought that victorian skirting boards would become part of a hp amp design!

Feb 14, 2013 at 12:56 AM Post #5,492 of 9,207
Quote:
New Decware amp specifically designed for the LCD-2 or LCD-3

http://www.decware.com/newsite/TABOO.htm

May be pulling the trigger on one of these soon.

Feb 14, 2013 at 11:48 AM Post #5,493 of 9,207
I kinda swapped out my amp decision last minute and got the ALO Pan Am instead, and I can see why they're called the LCD-2 amp, I've been so busy re-discovering my music that I've been near inactive on this site for the past 2 days.... Audio BLISS :D 

I haven't had the slightest thought to put on my HD650s since I got the Pan Am + LCD-2 combo, my poor little 650 may be on sale soon.....

Feb 14, 2013 at 2:19 PM Post #5,494 of 9,207
Well, I'm a proud new owner of a pair of LCD2r2 (bamboo, black connectors), and even got some vegan pads with them :)

I also happened to win a bid on Ebay for a like-new Musical Fidelity M1HPA.  Currently I'm only using a uDac-2se as my source, which I feel is an obvious bottleneck in what will eventually be an amazing rig.  That all being said, how does the M1HPA compare to the Burson Soloist?  Clearly, the Soloist offers more power, but from a SQ perspective, should I waste my time looking into the Burson, or is the M1 a really solid choice that I've made?

So far, I do enjoy the sound, although I can hear some audible distortion at times from the uDac-2se (the general Nuforce recipe, I suppose) when turning up the volume on some tracks. This isn't audible most of the time, just occasionally.  I'm in love with the LCD2s, but feel I could potentially be missing some of that "attack" in the snare drum department...feels a tad distant from what I'm used to.  Maybe this is just an adjustment thing with the ortho sound.

I plan on upgrading to a Gungnir in the future, so will that help in the "attack" area, and make me no longer question the M1 purchase? Or is something like the Soloist more up my alley?

Thanks!

Feb 14, 2013 at 2:59 PM Post #5,495 of 9,207
Quote:
Well, I'm a proud new owner of a pair of LCD2r2 (bamboo, black connectors), and even got some vegan pads with them :)

I also happened to win a bid on Ebay for a like-new Musical Fidelity M1HPA.  Currently I'm only using a uDac-2se as my source, which I feel is an obvious bottleneck in what will eventually be an amazing rig.  That all being said, how does the M1HPA compare to the Burson Soloist?  Clearly, the Soloist offers more power, but from a SQ perspective, should I waste my time looking into the Burson, or is the M1 a really solid choice that I've made?

So far, I do enjoy the sound, although I can hear some audible distortion at times from the uDac-2se (the general Nuforce recipe, I suppose) when turning up the volume on some tracks. This isn't audible most of the time, just occasionally.  I'm in love with the LCD2s, but feel I could potentially be missing some of that "attack" in the snare drum department...feels a tad distant from what I'm used to.  Maybe this is just an adjustment thing with the ortho sound.

I plan on upgrading to a Gungnir in the future, so will that help in the "attack" area, and make me no longer question the M1 purchase? Or is something like the Soloist more up my alley?

Thanks!

Congrats!
I would give your new LCD's a bit of a run in before you decide anything amp wise. They do open up more over time. Though never treble centric, the LCD2.2's do actually have a bit of a 'bite in the upper mids. You should be able to hear this soon enough as you get used to the sound sig and as they loosen up. If you have come from dynamics then there is a bit of adjusting time needed for orthos before you can appreciate the more 'liquidy/smooth' sound as opposed to  'airy/grainy' nature of dynamics. It may seem like there is less 'slam etc but you should soon get used to it and appreciate it for a more natural and controlled sound.  
I haven't heard the M1 but I've always liked Musical fidelity stuff. They do make some great gear for the money. Also, power isn't everything with the LCD2's as they are pretty efficient and are more transparent than most hp's. So I would say SQ is more important than power.  

Feb 15, 2013 at 12:52 AM Post #5,496 of 9,207
Quote:
I kinda swapped out my amp decision last minute and got the ALO Pan Am instead, and I can see why they're called the LCD-2 amp, I've been so busy re-discovering my music that I've been near inactive on this site for the past 2 days.... Audio BLISS :D 

I haven't had the slightest thought to put on my HD650s since I got the Pan Am + LCD-2 combo, my poor little 650 may be on sale soon.....

For a transportable amp, the Pan Am really does have a great synergy with the LCD 2r2. You never have the feeling that anything is missing compared to your home rig. of course if you do a side by side comparison, you'll notice a difference. Not enough to make you have buyers remorse for getting the Pan Am though. :)

Feb 15, 2013 at 7:33 PM Post #5,497 of 9,207
Quote:

Yup, power is not everything but if you upgrade to more hard to drive planars such as the HE-500/600 the soloist is a winner against the M1HPA. I did some comparisons vs the HA-160 and the Soloist as well. 
My ears are very pleased with the soloist, (thinking on pulling the trigger on the SL version) I find the Schiit to be focused on detail retrieval, but the soloist is more fun sounding. Better instrument separation. 

It will depend on the headphone combination. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 16, 2013 at 8:14 AM Post #5,498 of 9,207
@HeyWaj10

Quote:

I also happened to win a bid on Ebay for a like-new Musical Fidelity M1HPA. Currently I'm only using a uDac-2se as my source, which I feel is an obvious bottleneck in what will eventually be an amazing rig. That all being said, how does the M1HPA compare to the Burson Soloist? Clearly, the Soloist offers more power, but from a SQ perspective, should I waste my time looking into the Burson, or is the M1 a really solid choice that I've made?

I have had some listening time with both lcd-2.2 and M1HPA. What I can say about M1HPA is that the amp section was (to me) warm sounding. Taken that lcd-2.2 itself is a warm sounding hp I'm not sure how well it would sound on M1HPA. Also in Audeze's website they state that it would be better if the amp could provide few watts of output power: ("So I would suggest an Amp that would at least be able to provide a couple of watts of output without any clipping."). According to my information and calculations M1HPA can do about 600 mW @ 60 ohms. Regardless of everything I just said, it all comes down to your likings and what you hear, so you may find M1HPA being a positive suprise.
Hopefully this answered some guestions! 
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 16, 2013 at 10:57 AM Post #5,499 of 9,207
Anybody here heard the Holographic Ear One?
http://www.holographicaudio.com/headphone-amp.html

3W at 32 ohm and focus on low distortion and transparent sound. Hopefully getting one next week.
What I am most curious about is the crossfeed function.

Feb 16, 2013 at 1:30 PM Post #5,500 of 9,207
@ Kmikko

Quote:

I have had some listening time with both lcd-2.2 and M1HPA. What I can say about M1HPA is that the amp section was (to me) warm sounding. Taken that lcd-2.2 itself is a warm sounding hp I'm not sure how well it would sound on M1HPA. Also in Audeze's website they state that it would be better if the amp could provide few watts of output power: ("So I would suggest an Amp that would at least be able to provide a couple of watts of output without any clipping."). According to my information and calculations M1HPA can do about 600 mW @ 60 ohms. Regardless of everything I just said, it all comes down to your likings and what you hear, so you may find M1HPA being a positive suprise.
Hopefully this answered some guestions! 
smily_headphones1.gif

I definitely agree the sound of the M1HPA is on the warmer side, as well as more laid back...border line "polite'.  This is what I meant by the lack of attack I was more hoping for, which is why I have this feeling that the Soloist can deliver that.  Also, going along with jackwess' comments, the instrument separation is also what I'm going for.  Granted, like I said, at this stage I do believe the uDac2se is the current bottleneck in the chain, just simply not letting me see the full picture. 

It's a tough spot to be in, because I know I can't truly judge the M1HPA's performance until I get a worthy dac to deliver the fullest potential to the amp.  I guess I just need to wait until I can make the upgrade before going to listen to a Soloist to make a real comparison.

Feb 16, 2013 at 3:25 PM Post #5,501 of 9,207
If you a more aggresive powerful sound you could always check out a little Magni :) Seriously, these really fuel the LCD2's and with a very transparent sound. $99 can't go wrong. And it could give you something to think about with what direction your want go with the LCD2's.

Feb 16, 2013 at 6:40 PM Post #5,502 of 9,207
Anybody tried the Yulong D-100 with the LCD-2 rev2?  I've had the Yulong D-100 MKII for a few months and it pairs great with
my Denon 5000's.  Wondering if it has enough mojo to bring out the goods with the LCD-2's.  Any input greatly appreciated.

Feb 19, 2013 at 9:53 AM Post #5,504 of 9,207
I realize that a lot of new gear has presented itself since the CEntrance DACmini CX first arrived on the scene, but I searched this thread just now for "DACmini" and was surprised to see very few posts since 2011.  

For the sake of newcomers to this thread who might be looking for a DAC + Amp desktop solution in the price range of a DACmini CX, I would like to remind everyone that the DACmini CX is spectacular with the LCD-2.  

It was the enthusiasm of HeadphoneAddict (Larry) for this combination (DACmini CX + LCD-2) that led me to purchase the DACmini CX about 8 months ago, and having purchased a Burson Soloist for use with my LCD-2 about two months ago, I can say that not only is the DACmini CX a better value (with a DAC + amp for $200 less), the two amps are quite similar in signature - with the DACmini CX' amp section offering just a bit more detail and a more forward presentation, where the Soloist treble is somewhat sweeter - more analog sounding - and laid back, but these differences are subtle, not huge.      

When volume matched with an SPL meter and a white noise file, moving back and forth between the two amps, using the DACmini CX' USB DAC as the source, the two amps are a little different to be sure, but equally appealing, in my opinion.  When I want slightly more detail and a more forward sound, I use the DACmini CX.  For everything else (and a more laid back sound), I prefer the Soloist.  Dynamics are identical.  In fact, I can't hear any traits that would indicate the Soloist is more powerful than the DACmini CX into my LCD-2 rev.1.  

Another clue as to the difference between the DACmini CX and the Soloist is that, in my opinion, the Soloist's slightly smoother treble works better with the somewhat unforgiving Beyerdynamic T1, where the slightly more crisp sound of the DACmini CX works better with the LCD-2 rev.1.   Saying that, I have to add that no one would describe the DACmini's treble as being harsh or etched, but it does offer a wee bit more detail than the Soloist - perfect for a headphone like the LCD-2, which isn't known for offering a lot of resolution.

Also:   I ordered the DACmini CX with the 1-Ohm output impedance mod, which yields a more neutral and perhaps brighter sound than the default DACmini CX, which ships with a 10-Ohm output impedance.  Given that the LCD-2 has shelved highs, I find that the DACmini CX with 1-Ohm output impedance has plenty of sparkle - not bright, but just right.   If you prefer a warmer, darker signature, you might want to stick with the default DACmini CX.

With the CEntrance HiFi-M8 about to ship, I predict we will see a few more of these DACmini's coming up for sale.  

See the DACmini threads for more info.

Mike

Feb 24, 2013 at 10:55 PM Post #5,505 of 9,207
I have been offered a HA-160DS Amp for the LCD2. 

After looking at the specs, it lists it as 250mw output. Burson informs me it will output 100mw into 50ohm .

Will this be sufficient to power the LCD2 to its potential? Burson claims it will, I need some other opinions!

Help is appreciated. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back