Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
Feb 4, 2013 at 2:07 PM Post #5,461 of 9,207
Quote:
Alright I just poked around and found out that cables alone will run me quite a bit, and I don't have the time or expertise to DIY them, so balanced amps are out of the picture. What single ended amps would you guys recommend?

BTG can reterminate your HD650 and LCD-2 for around $60.

Edit: Saw you just discovered 'em.

Feb 4, 2013 at 2:15 PM Post #5,462 of 9,207
+ 1 on BTG.
He just finished ,doing work on my HD800 stock cable..it's now 10' 4-pin XLR..$40.00.
Brians the best

Feb 4, 2013 at 6:11 PM Post #5,463 of 9,207
Quote:

For affordable amp/dac combos one place to look is Audio-gd - Compass 2   http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/Compass%202/Compass2EN.htm

I was originally looking at the NFB 10.32 because it's balanced, and would go along with the Hifi-M8. I've also gone through the Audio-GD thread and frankly, it is a little disconcerting to see devices this expensive develop problems and then, the owners running into problems with customer service. I'd be more comfortable purchasing from someone who has customer support in the US.

Right now, I'm really leaning towards Project Sunrise because of its low price and good built. Then also, there's the Lyr with its power. And the EF-5, which is supposedly pretty good too and is a little lighter on the pocket.

I am so ******* lost....
biggrin.gif

Feb 4, 2013 at 6:21 PM Post #5,464 of 9,207
Quote:

I was originally looking at the NFB 10.32 because it's balanced, and would go along with the Hifi-M8. I've also gone through the Audio-GD thread and frankly, it is a little disconcerting to see devices this expensive develop problems and then, the owners running into problems with customer service. I'd be more comfortable purchasing from someone who has customer support in the US.

Right now, I'm really leaning towards Project Sunrise because of its low price and good built. Then also, there's the Lyr with its power. And the EF-5, which is supposedly pretty good too and is a little lighter on the pocket.

I am so ******* lost....
biggrin.gif

Well nothing beats some good ole Schiit

Feb 4, 2013 at 6:23 PM Post #5,465 of 9,207
Quote:

Without that gimmicky name, they would be no where near as popular.  Love when people make the Schiit jokes, it just never gets old...

Feb 4, 2013 at 7:05 PM Post #5,466 of 9,207
I think the Schiit name goes along with their whole philosophy. In a sense - not the usual sense - all their products are 'statement' products, as in "they all make a statement". All have a distinctive voice and - increasingly - design.

You certainly could not accuse Jason or Mike of being shrinking violets in terms of the product specs and willingness to innovate!

Feb 4, 2013 at 8:11 PM Post #5,467 of 9,207
Quote:

I am so ******* lost....
biggrin.gif

I've never had any problems with my Audio GD amp and it sounds great with the LCD-2s.

Feb 4, 2013 at 9:37 PM Post #5,468 of 9,207
Quote:
I've never had any problems with my Audio GD amp and it sounds great with the LCD-2s.

Probably most of the people who have purchased audio-gd probably don't experience problems. It's just that I don't want to be involved in sending a 10-pound amp back and forth to China in case something ever happens. Hifiman works out well because they have distributors and an office here in the U.S.. In fact, I had a problem with a faulty he-400 and they took care of it the same day. Another time, they sent me a replacement Hifiman he-series case free of charge when the original shipment was sent to my previous address.

In either case you don't have to worry about C.S. because as we all know, all the big brands are focusing their marketing to take a foothold in Antarctica
biggrin.gif

For the folks rolling tubes: would you recommend jumping on the tube bandwagon for my first desktop amp? I've owned/own quite a few portable ones (Fiios, the Arrow, the Intruder, uHA-120, etc) and the idea of a consumable tube inside an amp is a little foreign.

Quote:

Right now, this is on my "final options" list. I would jump on if I can find one for cheap, but the sunrise II/ Ember is looking even more attractive.

Feb 4, 2013 at 10:43 PM Post #5,469 of 9,207
Quote:

I am so ******* lost....
biggrin.gif

Project Sunrise is an awesome, awesome lil amp. The lyr is still a better amp and more responsive to tube rolling, but I'd take the SP over O2 anyday.

Feb 4, 2013 at 11:03 PM Post #5,470 of 9,207
Quote:
Project Sunrise is an awesome, awesome lil amp. The lyr is still a better amp and more responsive to tube rolling, but I'd take the SP over O2 anyday.

Have you listened to both? I would love to hear a little more about the comparison between the two. The Lyr is well loved around these parts, but no one seems to have had experience with PSII.

Feb 4, 2013 at 11:16 PM Post #5,471 of 9,207
Quote:

Have you listened to both? I would love to hear a little more about the comparison between the two. The Lyr is well loved around these parts, but no one seems to have had experience with PSII.

With the Lyr it really depends on the tubes used. Overall budget factors into the Lyr as well.

The PSII is the best amp I've heard in its price range, in fact, it's better than the Lyr stock.

But to keep it short, I found the PSII to lack in everything behind the Lyr. Also, I had very limited experience with swapping out tubes
on PS, but comparatively to Lyr it's a bit sterile sounding. It's got ton of details but for a tube amp is too analytical for my preference.

This very well could change with tube rolling FWIW.

It's pretty seductive when using the HD650. Either way you can't go wrong. The Lyr definitely has more scalability with tube rolling,
but that does come at a price.

If you're using orthos or plan to in the future, then the Lyr is a no brainer.

Feb 7, 2013 at 4:37 PM Post #5,475 of 9,207
Quote:
Hi everyone, 

I'm planning to buy LCD-2, i just want to know, what amp is best for LCD-2? solid state or tube?

thanks,

Ouch! Seriously tough question there.
Depending on who you ask that question, you will get different answers...

And of course price, preferred music genres and portability/ease of use need all to be factored in to give a vote towards one or the other.

Myself, I like tubes - but - awesome tubes. So maybe SS is more accessible???

There are also a few good hybrids out there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back